Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HAL drops domestic fees - speculation on new routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HAL drops domestic fees - speculation on new routes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tim_T

There is is something between Manchester and Glasgow - Me (and some rather stunning landscape)!

i would love to see CAX get proper scheduled flights to somewhere useful. There is nothing more annoying than seeing your house out of the window at 37000’ , knowing that you are still to land at Heathrow, hang around for 3 hrs, fly to Manchester, Newcastle or Glasgow then drive for a further 3 hrs to get home.
sorry, by 'nothing' I meant no BA service rather than no people!
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:39 am

BA is transferring all of their 319s to Gatwick, as I understand it. Can Jersey take an A320? It used to take 737-400s.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by AMBurns1512
When I heard of this, my first thought was Jersey - partly because of the business travel, partly because Heathrow has a greater premium leisure travel aspect to it, and I thought this would let them cut a few LGW-JER services, which could then re-introduce Gatwick flights from Aberdeen and/or Manchester. I'm not sure how likely that would be though.
We share an interest!

Certainly, on our experience, JER-LGW is always full, and normally with 8 rows of CE. Looking around from 2C, only a few have the look of leisure pax, and there are plenty of suits down the back as well.

I shall continue dreaming of an LHR connection, hopefully in my remaining lifetime!
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:59 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
BA is transferring all of their 319s to Gatwick, as I understand it. Can Jersey take an A320? It used to take 737-400s.
It can indeed. Both EI and EZ occasionally operate A320s into Jersey at present. I have even been told that a 757 or two was seen in the good old days - that must have required some very firm braking to avoid ending up in St Ouen’s Bay.

My recollection is that the BD flights to LHR were at hopeless times of the day (eg lunchtime) and as such were never going to work. Given that the LGW flights are almost always full, and mostly of a mix of business travellers and premium leisure travellers, it would be very surprising if a couple of LHR rotations could not now be filled.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And then easier to get to DUB on BA for an ex-EU to the USA
Be still, my beating heart!!

PS: My BMI to LHR was a 0845 departure.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by jmd

It can indeed. Both EI and EZ occasionally operate A320s into Jersey at present. I have even been told that a 757 or two was seen in the good old days - that must have required some very firm braking to avoid ending up in St Ouen’s Bay.

My recollection is that the BD flights to LHR were at hopeless times of the day (eg lunchtime) and as such were never going to work. Given that the LGW flights are almost always full, and mostly of a mix of business travellers and premium leisure travellers, it would be very surprising if a couple of LHR rotations could not now be filled.
seems like a no brainer. If INV has the yield / load then JER-LHR must have a case?!
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
JER shows why this is and always will be primarily a political decision.
BA's JER service is currently LGW because there is very little competition for traffic (especially long-haul connex) so they can get away with this. If HAL/govt pushed airlines to start new domestic routes, you can bet that JER would be top of the list, and BE would jump in. But at that point the new competition would make BA immediately jump in too (5 currently would become 3 x LGW, 3 x LHR daily), to push BE off the route. They'd probably even throw CityFlyer at it for good measure.
And everyone in the chain knows this... which is precisely why it's paradoxically the last thing that would happen.

All my opinion of course!
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:29 pm
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
BA's JER service is currently LGW because there is very little competition for traffic (especially long-haul connex) so they can get away with this. If HAL/govt pushed airlines to start new domestic routes, you can bet that JER would be top of the list, and BE would jump in. But at that point the new competition would make BA immediately jump in too (5 currently would become 3 x LGW, 3 x LHR daily), to push BE off the route. They'd probably even throw CityFlyer at it for good measure.
And everyone in the chain knows this... which is precisely why it's paradoxically the last thing that would happen.

I’m sure you’re right which is why it hasn’t already happened. I do however think it will happen at some point, as sooner or later BA will become concerned that someone else will take the plunge who is a more formidable prospect than BE (EZ springs to mind - they have said repeatedly that they are open to operating to LHR if circumstances allow).
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by flatlander
It's more like 2h20m from Heathrow to Brirmingham via Tube and National Rail, or 1h50m with more changes of train and higher cost using Heathrow Express, Tube, and National Rail. Add in ticketing hassles (needing to either pre-buy tickets yourself or pay large walk-up fares), bag carrying, problems of re-accommodation on the train journey after the flight to Heathrow arrives late or vice-versa, and so on then an air routing of BHX-LHR-rest-of-world could look a lot more attractive.
Can definitely second this. It's much worse because of how poorly connected Euston is, meaning you either have to take a ridiculously circuitous route, or walk outside to Euston Square (in all weathers) to get to the Circle and Hammersmith and City Lines to PAD. I recently did this alone with two suitcases, and it wasn't fun. Crossrail will also do nothing for Euston connectivity (Crossrail 2 will if it does get off the ground, but that's 10+ years away). Hell, do a codeshare with BE if they don't think they can fill an A319. I actually like Dash 8s, although I know most here will disagree, but for the short flight, it surely wouldn't be an issue for even the biggest prop hater.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by nick.t.davies
Whilst I'm only a single data point I'd exclusively use a JER>LHR over a LGW route. I fall in to the category of the LH connections, but I also fly to and from JER to the mainland for meetings, and a lot more of the country is on the LHR side of London than LGW and having to add 45 mins (on a good day) to orbit the M25 just to get to HR and beyond is a pain.

(I live part time in Jersey and otherwise in Hammersmith so LHR is supremely useful personally)
I regularly start journeys from Kensington. Using train and/or tube both LHR and LGW take about the same time. Hammersmith is slightly nearer LHR, so there might be a time saving of 5 minutes on LHR compared with LGW - so small that a missed train would eliminate it. In this part of west London I can’t see any LHR advantage.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by LordBuckethead

The problem with this analysis is it flies in the face of previous history. When BMI operated LHR-JER, BA were happy to let them have an LHR monopoly. More recently when EY started an LGW-JER service, BA consolidated its LGW-JER offering focusing on business friendly times. It did not introduce LHR-JER.

BA’s advantage over either EY to LGW or BE to LHR is two-fold: it permits protected connections to long haul and it offers a business class cabin. Anyone who has flown LGW-JER will know that this route can have very large CE cabins.

As T8191 effectively argued, a LHR-JER route would depend heavily on whether BA could see any gain from its existing customer base. Whilst it would save some a trek from LGW to LHR; would that convenience (itself potentially marginal if there were only say two LHR flights) generate any extra income?

Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by stampcollector
I believe at one point BEA and then BA and Caledonian did run helicopter services between Cornwall and the Scilly Isles, and then between LGW and LHR, can't remember why it stopped though...
The route between LHR and LGW stopped shortly after all the non Bermuda 2 airlines moved from LGW to LHR I do believe as there was no longer the business case for it.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by SonTech
The route between LHR and LGW stopped shortly after all the non Bermuda 2 airlines moved from LGW to LHR I do believe as there was no longer the business case for it.
DL/US/CO? They moved to LHR in c.2008...

According to Wikipedia, the BA Helicopters service stopped in February 1986 when the M25 was completed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airlin...huttle_service)

BA used to provide complimentary National Express transfers between LGW/LHR but those were stopped in c.2001.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
CAX and IOM would also be interesting additions!

This link does suggest Carlisle LEP secured investment ...
Flights from CAX are now planned to begin on 3 June 2018, to destinations "including" London, Dublin and Belfast. See:-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.