Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HAL drops domestic fees - speculation on new routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HAL drops domestic fees - speculation on new routes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA GOLD
Smile

Originally Posted by PETER01
Point of order please?

I'm a little bit of an aviation geek and I am enjoying this thread but can everyone please use the actual names of these smaller airports? Many won't have a clue including me where they are without googling and it's been annoying me all day.

CAX, MME, HUY or wherever. Some FTr's berate people who put flight numbers on a new thread without a route and this is similarish.

(Tiny, very small, mini) rant over
CAX Carlisle (Eddie Stobart International)
MME Durham Tees Valley
HUY Humberside
NQY Newquay
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:19 pm

EXT for me too please! :-) BE metal with a BA code would even be fine.

EXT-LCY (also could do with a BA code, I think NQY-LGW gets one?!) is great for London but not really for longhaul connections.

Totally agree with CWS' musings about making LCY to LHR a more viable rail option too!
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by lukew
I'd go to Custom House and walk.
The early plans for the development between Poplar and the Canary Wharf Crossrail/Elizabeth line station seem to show a much better walking route direct from Poplar station. I suspect once this development is built in a few years time it could be the preferred connection for anyone without much luggage.

None of the prospective connections will be very appealing for those with luggage, mobility difficulties etc. as it’s a reasonable walk from Canary Wharf DLR to the Crossrail station and as others have said Stratford is not much better.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
As much as I know it's unlikely due to the short distance involved, I'd really like for Birmingham to make it, purely because of how much of a faff it is to get to Heathrow from Euston, versus the ease of getting to BHX by train (one of the best integrations of rail with an airport terminal I've seen anywhere).
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Mordac
...the ease of getting to BHX by train (one of the best integrations of rail with an airport terminal I've seen anywhere).

AMS, GVA, ZRH....?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by rossmacd

AMS, GVA, ZRH....?
I didn't claim it was the best, just one of the best. :/
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:08 pm
PZE

Programs: BA Bronze, KrisFlyer Silver
Last year NQY management were saying that they had a promise of slots allocated in the next batch at LHR - I think that was with effect from 2019 but may not have remembered correctly. So that perhaps ties in to this discussion. Given the subsidy on the NQY-LGW service it’s not easy to see on what basis it will be run or by whom - particularly given Willie Walsh’s aversion to BA flying to “places like Newquay”. Maybe one or two of the three daily LGW FlyBe routes moving to LHR?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:15 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by Mordac
As much as I know it's unlikely due to the short distance involved, I'd really like for Birmingham to make it, purely because of how much of a faff it is to get to Heathrow from Euston, versus the ease of getting to BHX by train (one of the best integrations of rail with an airport terminal I've seen anywhere).
I honestly struggle to see how the words “rail” and “best” can be together, when the subject is UK infrastructure. I can think of dozens of Airport with good rail integration and BHX will not even crack my top 10.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by WorldLux
A LCY-LHR would be nice
ooh yes please ... a helicopter hopper service LHR-LCY would be fantastic 😊

Also how about LHR to Prestwick
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:28 pm

Does this mean BA will refund me a fiver for an existing booking? Pretty sure they would charge me extra if it went up...
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by 710 77345
There's not many people who need to travel between the two airports currently, and adding a station at such a small airport will delay the majority of passengers.
Adding a Crossrail station at LCY would not primarily be for the purpose of facilitating LHR <--> LCY inter-airport connections, although they would be made easier. Its primary purpose would be to facilitate intermodal connections between everywhere on the Crossrail route and LCY.

But there seems to be something in the British psyche that doesn't regard air travel as another form of public transport for which it is important that there is intermodal connectivity.
flatlander and Ldnn1 like this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by FrancisA
Some additional LHR flights to JER would be nice, but keep the LGW flights too. Perhaps 3 rotations from LHR with four from LGW. That would free two LGW slots for a new GCI route. We can but dream. However, GCI can take A319 and A320 and surely there must be some demand.

Being cynical, is this some cunning plot by HAL as they know that without a Brexit deal, domestics will be the only flights operating after March 2019.
I also thought JER from LHR. And yes GCI to LGW would be good!

CAX and IOM would also be interesting additions!

This link does suggest Carlisle LEP secured investment, and if you think about it there is nothing between Manchester and Glasgow on the West Coast, so this might have some feed, both leisure and business.....

Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by deboyzoned
ooh yes please ... a helicopter hopper service LHR-LCY would be fantastic 😊
Who said anything about a helicopter? I was thinking jets. And for added safety I'd pick something with more than 2 engines. So, Avro RJ, 747 or A380.

Originally Posted by Globaliser
But there seems to be something in the British psyche that doesn't regard air travel as another form of public transport for which it is important that there is intermodal connectivity.
I suspect that they considered the public transport link of LCY to be "good enough" and decided not to bother with a Crossrail station. FWIW LCY is IMO quite easily accessible.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by fransknorge

I honestly struggle to see how the words “rail” and “best” can be together, when the subject is UK infrastructure. I can think of dozens of Airport with good rail integration and BHX will not even crack my top 10.
Well, fair enough. You've probably experienced a lot more airports than I have. Be that as it may, BHX is still much easier to get to for those of us on the south West Coast Main Line than LHR!
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Who said anything about a helicopter? I was thinking jets. And for added safety I'd pick something with more than 2 engines. So, Avro RJ, 747 or A380.
Why stop there... find an MD11

No one has suggested LGW-LHR yet......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.