GGL partner cards efficiency question

Old Jan 3, 18, 3:27 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: LON, ATH
Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
Posts: 498
GGL partner cards efficiency question

From the 2017 T&Cs: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-list-benefits

8.3. On receipt of a satisfactory application form British Airways shall at its discretion issue to the Nominee a discretionary Silver/Gold Partner Card which will be valid for a minimum of 12 months from the date of issue. For Nominees who are existing Executive Club members, the discretionary British Airways Silver/Gold Card period shall begin from the date of acceptance by British Airways of the Nominee and last until the Nominee’s Membership Year End date and for the 12 month period thereafter. For Nominees who are not existing Executive Club Members at time of nomination Silver/Gold Cards will be valid for a period of 12 months from the date of acceptance by British Airways of the Nominee.

So If someone gets nominated and only has 2 months left in his/her's current membership year, would you suggest to create a new account or not?
DrHalxx is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 3:41 am
  #2  
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Norwich, UK
Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 6,915
If creating a new account, you would get 12 months from approval.

If using an existing account, you would get 12 months plus whatever remained in the recipient's year - so in this specific case the status would last 14 months.

Unless there's a pressing need for immediate status, the sensible thing here is to wait until the recipient's year has just started in two months, and then do the nomination - this would give nearly 24 months.
NWIFlyer is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 3:45 am
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sin, HKG
Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Posts: 626
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer View Post
If creating a new account, you would get 12 months from approval.

If using an existing account, you would get 12 months plus whatever remained in the recipient's year - so in this specific case the status would last 14 months.

Unless there's a pressing need for immediate status, the sensible thing here is to wait until the recipient's year has just started in two months, and then do the nomination - this would give nearly 24 months.
it's actually better to wait until the 1st of the 2nd month after the end of the year. So if the year expires on 8 March, the card expires on 30 April then make the nomination on 1 May
deboyzoned likes this.
Nuster is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 3:49 am
  #4  
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Norwich, UK
Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 6,915
Originally Posted by Nuster View Post


it's actually better to wait until the 1st of the 2nd month after the end of the year. So if the year expires on 8 March, the card expires on 30 April then make the nomination on 1 May
I've never made nor been the recipient of a GGL status gift, so is this how it works in practice? The rule clearly refers to membership year, not card expiry ...
NWIFlyer is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 3:51 am
  #5  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,378
Originally Posted by Nuster View Post
it's actually better to wait until the 1st of the 2nd month after the end of the year. So if the year expires on 8 March, the card expires on 30 April then make the nomination on 1 May
I think the reason for this is that when doing the nomination online between say 9 March 2018 and 30 April 2018 the system incorrectly only gives the status for the rest of the current membership year so up to 30 April 2019. The nominee is entitled to the full year after (so up to 30 April 2020) but this can only be fixed by calling the GGL line. Alternatively if you nominate after card expiry (so 1 May 2018 onwards) this problem doesn't occur and the nominee would get up to 30 April 2020 automatically.
KARFA is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 4:23 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 4,188
It’s a known system defect at BA’s end. So in this circumstance, the GGL member has to call once you go past the expiry of your current card and you’re downgraded, to ask BA to reinstate your status for another membership year. A bit more hassle, takes another phone call, but can be done.

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
I think the reason for this is that when doing the nomination online between say 9 March 2018 and 30 April 2018 the system incorrectly only gives the status for the rest of the current membership year so up to 30 April 2019. The nominee is entitled to the full year after (so up to 30 April 2020) but this can only be fixed by calling the GGL line. Alternatively if you nominate after card expiry (so 1 May 2018 onwards) this problem doesn't occur and the nominee would get up to 30 April 2020 automatically.
carrotjuice is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 4:40 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, ARN, HEL, ..... or MAN
Programs: BA GFL, GGL, CCR, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
Posts: 4,783
Yes, you need to wait until the card expiry date and then call or email. My son's status moved to bronze on 31 Dec and one email to the GGL line had his account re-instated to silver within 5 minutes, for another 23 months. Very efficient but it's definitely based on card expiry rather than membership year expiry.
ThatT1Feeling is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 4:49 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: LON, ATH
Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
Posts: 498
Last question,

Eg if SWIM opens a new account now and gets a nomination in March, wil he still get the two full years?
X
DrHalxx is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 5:14 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Glasgow / London
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Posts: 3,390
I opened a new account for somebody yesterday and will nominate them later this week. I fully expect that they will get two full years at Silver. In fact, almost 26 months, when card expiry is taken into account.
Filthy Monkey is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 5:18 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: LON, ATH
Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
Posts: 498
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
I opened a new account for somebody yesterday and will nominate them later this week. I fully expect that they will get two full years at Silver. In fact, almost 26 months, when card expiry is taken into account.
Can you please let us know of the outcome? Thanks!
DrHalxx is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 6:53 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: HKG
Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,627
interested to know the outcome too.
i believe if you open first, before nominating, you should get 24 months
ermen is offline  
Old May 10, 18, 4:26 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: LON, ATH
Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
Posts: 498
So gifted status by a friend.

My year ended May the 8th and old card was valid till June the 30th. I got gold status till June the 30th 2009. Called BA gold line twice re extension to 2020 (as per T&C, given the fact that my year ended in May the 8th) but both agents were clueless.

Any advice?
DrHalxx is offline  
Old May 10, 18, 4:39 pm
  #13  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,378
Originally Posted by DrHalxx View Post
So gifted status by a friend.

My year ended May the 8th and old card was valid till June the 30th. I got gold status till June the 30th 2009. Called BA gold line twice re extension to 2020 (as per T&C, given the fact that my year ended in May the 8th) but both agents were clueless.

Any advice?
can I check when specifically you were nominated? If it was 9 May onwards then I would agree your status should be until 30 June 2020. its your friend who need to contact the GGL team and sort it out.
KARFA is offline  
Old May 10, 18, 4:56 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: LON, ATH
Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
Posts: 498
I was nominated may the 10th!
DrHalxx is offline  
Old May 10, 18, 5:49 pm
  #15  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,378
Originally Posted by DrHalxx View Post
I was nominated may the 10th!
thanks, so yes 2020 sounds right. your ggl friend needs to speak to the ggl team to sort it.
KARFA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: