GGL partner cards efficiency question

Old May 16, 2018, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
My friend who donated the card received the following reply:

My card validity still shows 2019. Should I be reassured with the above email or chase them again to change it ?

Thanks

Last edited by DrHalxx; May 17, 2018 at 3:15 pm
Old May 16, 2018, 10:17 pm

This is a known BA IT problem. It will unlikely auto rollover. The person who nominated you will most likely have to call GGL and have BA manually renew you for another year.

Its bothersome and unnecessary. But Ive personally had to do it for one of my nominees.

And be prepared for some BA person to utterly confuse themselves against the terms by saying that youre supposed to be status upgraded for at least 12 months which you wouldve been - but stick to your guns and refer them to clause 8.3 of the BA terms that your upgraded status should be for the whole of current MEMBERSHIP year (not card year) plus the following MEMBERSHIP year.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by DrHalxx
My card validity still shows 2019. Should I be reassured with the above email or chase them again to change it ?
BA cant change the card expiry unfortunately - which is issued year by year. No point calling until after the current membership year expiry. See my post above.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
If using an existing account, you would get 12 months plus whatever remained in the recipient's year - so in this specific case the status would last 14 months.

Unless there's a pressing need for immediate status, the sensible thing here is to wait until the recipient's year has just started in two months, and then do the nomination - this would give nearly 24 months.
This is incorrect. Thats not what term 8.3 says - it refers to current membership year (not card expiry date) + one further membership year.

But agree the sensible thing is to wait until after current cards expiry date, then perform the status upgrade - so the gifter doesnt have to deal with manually contacting GGL to rollover the status for another year (as its unlikely to happen automatically).
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Yet again, GGL team really struggling to apply the rules correctly. Just spent 30 minutes on the phone to them and they still don't agree.

I gifted my Mum a Silver card after her year reset in May 2017 (I think it was gifted around the 20th May). As I expected she has dropped back to Blue so I called the GGL team. They even read the rule out correctly but interpreted it incorrectly. If I'm being polite I would say the GGL lady was utterly and comprehensively confused.

We couldn't agree so she has now referred my query to someone else. I'll give it a week.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
Yet again, GGL team really struggling to apply the rules correctly. Just spent 30 minutes on the phone to them and they still don't agree.

I gifted my Mum a Silver card after her year reset in May 2017 (I think it was gifted around the 20th May). As I expected she has dropped back to Blue so I called the GGL team. They even read the rule out correctly but interpreted it incorrectly. If I'm being polite I would say the GGL lady was utterly and comprehensively confused.

We couldn't agree so she has now referred my query to someone else. I'll give it a week.

Please let me know of the outcome and how you handled this
Good luck
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by oxtailsoup

I had the same problem with the previous time, when the agent was clueless. I had to stress very sternly that it should be escalated and it is a known system problem, and individual agents shouldnt be interpreting their own rules. Yes its very frustrating when that happens. Hope you get there in the end.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
My conversation went along the lines of:-
BA. You know you have used all your partner cards this year?
Me. Yes. This is regarding a card I gifted last year.
BA. But you don’t have any cards to gift this year (proceeds to read out the people I have gifted them to this year).
Me. Yes I know, this is regarding last year (explain the rule again).
BA. Reads the rule out loud and says my Mum has had a full year of membership.
Me. No she hasn’t. She had the remainder of her current year which was about 11.5 months. She should now have the following year.
BA. You know you have no more partner cards to gift this year?

Repeat the above for 30 minutes. Explained it was a known IT issue. Walked very slowly through the chronology of the actual dates and how that aligns to the rules.

Oh oh yes and this bit:-
Me. If her membership renewal date is the 8th May and I gift the card on the 20th May. When does the remainder of her current membership year expire?
BA. December.
Me. Why do you think that? That is not her membership year, it is the calendar year.

She was lovely, but it would have got heated on both sides if we carried on so it was time to ask for it to be referred!

Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Yep, even on the GGL line, HUACA sometimes applies
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR; AB Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Does anyone know how many people work in the GGL Line per shift?
Just want to do the math how propable it is to get to the same agent after HUACA
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:50 am

So i have this problem, did upgrade yesterday when card expiry is end of August so only got gold until August 2019.

Is the advice to wait until the card expires next year and call or do it now?

Thanks
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:13 pm

Sorry to bump
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
I have just received my partner cards and would like to give them to two family members who have never had BAEC accounts.

If I get them to sign up now, I assume their membership year will begin immediately(?) so if I nominate straight away, would they get (almost) 24 months, or is there something else I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by BlueHorizonUK
So i have this problem, did upgrade yesterday when card expiry is end of August so only got gold until August 2019.

Is the advice to wait until the card expires next year and call or do it now?

Thanks
The person who gifted the upgraded status has to wait until when the member is downgraded on 1 Sep 2019. Calling any earlier would not help - seems to be a system limitation as they cannot extend the upgraded status for someone who had been upgraded anyway.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by dycc
I have just received my partner cards and would like to give them to two family members who have never had BAEC accounts.

If I get them to sign up now, I assume their membership year will begin immediately(?) so if I nominate straight away, would they get (almost) 24 months, or is there something else I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Clause 8.3 says: For Nominees who are not existing Executive Club Members at time of nomination Silver/Gold Cards will be valid for a period of 12 months from the date of acceptance by British Airways of the Nominee.

Yet arguably, if you set up their BAEC accounts say today, and then nominate them say a week later, unsure if this would get them close to 24 months as again, clause 8.3 says the upgraded status should be a minimum of 12 months? Thats when some terms appear to contradict each other - no wonder we (and GGL customer service themselves) can be so confused!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.