Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Companion Voucher questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, CX MPC Gold, Avis preferred plus, MyWaitrose card
Yes, the voucher only allows 2 for 1 on the avios cost ONLY - the taxes and charges (which on a long haul economy are most of the cost of the ticket) are still charged for both tickets. That's what a lot of first time voucher users don't necessarily realise...
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Upgrading doesn’t do anything for me either - I could never justify paying for Business or First class, however using the companion voucher means I can travel business/first class for less than the price of economy. That does interest me and we’ve been to
Cape Town, San Francisco, Seattle in First class and Rio, Delhi and New York in business.
If you can save enough Avios to do this it’s well worth it.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
So we might suggest a good use, how many avios do you have. And do you still have the BA Amex (either free or £195/yr) - have you been spending towards another voucher?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by frasier
Depends on which route you want and when you’re travelling - JFK has usually pretty good availability especially if you avoid weekends so the more flexible you can be the better unless you have a Joker as GGL to open reward space?

As an example I have 2 F returns next month to CPT which cost 137500 Avios , a GUF2, and 2 for 1 voucher - did need Joker for space release but these tickets were close to £12k to buy so the above plus £1k more or less in tax is great vakue

Prior to being GGL I’ve used 2 for 1 many time to MIA, JNB, SFO ATL by planning as far ahead as ticketing allows and being flexible on flying days to get the seats.

Would never recommend that these vouchers are used for Y on long haul as you don’t maximise the value

Good luck
F
I am not a frequent traveller and I only have 2-3 holidays a year (abroad, normally one long haul and the other close to home) and mostly fly from A to B.

The ideal scenario would have been:
  • want to go somewhere in Asia
  • check airlines sales
  • BA has a sale to Phuket - good
  • get a ticket to somewhere I haven't been yet, use the voucher, save a ticket's worth of cash
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pauldb
So we might suggest a good use, how many avios do you have. And do you still have the BA Amex (either free or £195/yr) - have you been spending towards another voucher?
I only have 40000 Avios, do they worth anything? And I stopped spending towards another voucher (still paying nearly £200 yearly for the card) since I realised this is not really what I thought it is.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
First of all drop from the paid card to the free card. Your voucher will remain save. You will get a pro rata refund of the fee. I would then look to use your points for CE return for two (with the voucher). There will be £100 fees to pay using RFS.

Alternatjve look at the cost of UUA from Y to W. Although cheapest Y tickets cannot be upgraded.
daftboy and carlozdre like this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by madfish
First of all drop from the paid card to the free card. Your voucher will remain save. You will get a pro rata refund of the fee. I would then look to use your points for CE return for two (with the voucher). There will be £100 fees to pay using RFS.

Alternatjve look at the cost of UUA from Y to W. Although cheapest Y tickets cannot be upgraded.
With that size of Avios balance I think this is great advice
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by madfish

Thanks madfish, is UUA 'upgrade using avios' and RFS 'reward flight search'? And CE Central Europe?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador
UUA is indeed "upgrade using Avios", CE is Club Europe (business class in short haul basically and not very exciting), RFS is Reward Flight Saver
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
I would also suggest a trip to Europe. If you really don't value travelling business (the lounge and food onboard are a nice touch, especially for longer routes), or you travel only the shorter routes, your avios will stretch to a 2 or 3 trips. RFS is Reward Flight Saver which caps your fees shorthaul at £35 for economy or £50 business, return. However you need to have earned 1 avios in the last 12 months to qualify for this, in case you see normal, higher fees when you search.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Another mind....! London - London to Miami in March

Using RFS
Total 33000Avios + £ 1,119.22 (no company voucher)
Outbound - Tue 20 Mar 2018 / 09:15 20 Mar Heathrow (London) TO 15:05 20 Mar Miami International (FL)
Inbound - Thu 29 Mar 2018 / 20:40 29 Mar Miami International (FL) TO 10:20 30 Mar Heathrow (London)

Whilst on the same route, date/times, in an incognito session, normal search - £873.22
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by carlozdre
Using RFS
Total 33000Avios + £ 1,119.22 (no company voucher)
Outbound - Tue 20 Mar 2018 / 09:15 20 Mar Heathrow (London) TO 15:05 20 Mar Miami International (FL)
Inbound - Thu 29 Mar 2018 / 20:40 29 Mar Miami International (FL) TO 10:20 30 Mar Heathrow (London)

Whilst on the same route, date/times, in an incognito session, normal search - £873.22
This is not RFS - you only get RFS on short-haul.

The £873.22 number you get is made up as follows:-
Base fare: £67.00
Taxes, fees and charges: £369.61
Total: £436.61
x 2 pax = £873.22

If you redeem Avios, the price is 41,250 Avios + £369.61 per person. (You can see that the taxes, fees and charges figure is the same as for a cash ticket.)

For 2 pax, that's 82,500 + £739.22.

If you were to use a companion voucher, that would be 41,250 Avios + £739.22 for two pax.

The Avios price that you are quoting comes from asking to spend more cash in order to reduce the number of Avios used. That's why you can move from a combination of 82,500 Avios + £739.22 to 33,000 Avios + £1,199.22.

None of this is unusual or unexpected. But it highlights once again the pointlessness in normal circumstances of using Avios for long-haul economy.
carlozdre likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by carlozdre
I've got the credit card two years ago and started spending massively so to get the voucher advertised. I got the voucher in the end, all good.

My math was simple: since my wife and I have paid ~1k for return flights to whatever destination several times, we will now only pay around ~£500 and use the voucher. Right?

Yet, a simple search for LA or NY from London (exact dates and flights) shows very similar results in terms of what we would pay:

London - NY

15:50 22 Mar Heathrow (London) to Newark Liberty International (NJ) (New York) - BA0189
07:55 29 Mar John F Kennedy (NY) (New York) to Heathrow (London) - BA0178

Total: 33000Avios + BA American Express Companion Voucher + £739.82
or
Total: £741.82 (no voucher, no avios, no sale - I think)

London - LA

12:30 21 Mar to 17:05 21 Mar LHR to LAX
21:35 Thu, 29 Mar 2018 Los Angeles

Total: 41250 Avios + BA American Express Companion Voucher + £792.12
or
Total: £831.82 (no voucher, no avios, no sale - I think)

Can anyone please advise of how to use this voucher more effectively? Or do I just let it expire as it seems to me it's a huge con? I won't be using this crap for a save of £40, this is preposterous. That's why I am here as I am a bit baffled and maybe there's something I miss.

Thanks!
If you are short of Avios points you could wait until British Airways have a good offer on buying points. To some destinations this can represent good value for money rather than buying with cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.