Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Discrepancy between Expert Flyer & BA Avios availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Question for the BA experts. I'm in WTP on a flight from IAD to LHR later this week and trying to switch seats (seeking one of the window/aisle pairs). My BA seat map shows three available seats, but BA says 8 WTP seats on this flight are available for Avios redemption. Expert Flyer shows four seats available (three of which are handicap accessible) and three blocked off. What might explain the difference between the number of Avios bookings available and what Expert Flyer is showing in terms of availability? Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by wroxpopuli
What might explain the difference between the number of Avios bookings available and what Expert Flyer is showing in terms of availability?
Availability (the number of reservations which the airline is prepared to take in any cabin) and seat maps (the physical seats on the aircraft which are or are not available for allocation) don't correlate to each other.

EF seat maps and ba.com seat maps may not correlate to each other close to the time of the flight because of Theoretical Seating (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ts-status.html), but further out from the date of the flight the correlation is usually accurate.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by wroxpopuli
Question for the BA experts. I'm in WTP on a flight from IAD to LHR later this week and trying to switch seats (seeking one of the window/aisle pairs). My BA seat map shows three available seats, but BA says 8 WTP seats on this flight are available for Avios redemption. Expert Flyer shows four seats available (three of which are handicap accessible) and three blocked off. What might explain the difference between the number of Avios bookings available and what Expert Flyer is showing in terms of availability? Thanks!
There are a few things going on here. I'm guessing that you're looking at the BA216 on Friday 5th Jan. Is that right?

First of all, there is not a one to one relationship between the number of tickets available for sale (or the number of reward redemptions available) and the seat map. The seat map may look fuller or emptier than the number of tickets available for sale. That flight looks quiet at the moment with the following loads:

F9 A9 J9 C9 D9 R9 I0 W9 E0 T0 Y9 B9H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O0 G9

and there are indeed several Avios tickets available for redemption in WTP. BA's revenue management have taken a decision that that's reasonable given their ability to move people around with operational upgrades if required.

In terms of the seat map itself (below) you are seeing the results of theoretical seating for which you may find more information in this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ts-status.html

Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Seat Map Search:
Departing IAD on 01/05/18 for LHR
Flying BA flight 216 in Premium Economy

A B D E F G J K
33 W X - + X - - - X W
34 W - H - - - - H - W
35 W - - - - - - H - W
36 W - - - - - - L L W
A B D E F G J K

Seats
Premium Only P
Available +
Handicap-Accessible H
Paid & Premium #
Occupied -
Blocked X
Lavatory L
Paid $

Wing W
Upper Deck U
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:30 am
Original Poster

This is incredibly helpful! I am, indeed, looking at that flight. I figured that upgrades might play into the mix (and I am hoping that an upgrade clears up one of the seats I'm looking for!). Realistically (w/o any status) when might I expect to see any potential changes to the seat map. Would it all be in the last 24 hours? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.