Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA207 20th Dec - not sure they cleaned it

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
You're missing a trick. It would be cheaper to let the cleaners do the maintenance.
Please delete this post before you give them ideas.

Good to see this was resolved OP. Looks like a simple case of prioritising what is more important at the time. Get the flight in the air towards MIA without a proper clean or have people sitting around even longer at the gate getting frustrated. Looks like you made up some time in the air too.
chrisboote likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Exactly. The engineers are obviously spending too much of their time cooking the Club World meals. Time for them to be redeployed, obviously.
Had a private tour of a VS a340 over at the hanger a good few yrs back.
Tricky Dicky and I were on pally terms!
Onboard found the Maintenance guys all hanging out watching movies in Upper class seats and sipping coffee.
They quickly scurried away when my camera started clicking for some reason?
It was a geat treat to explore the aircraft for those few hours without all those guys "working".
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Can someone explain why maintenance is a highly restricted and secure area? In other words, shoudln't that apply to the whole airport? If cleaners have gone through security just like passengers, I don't see why they can't be in the maintenance hangar towards the end of the time when something is being fixed? I may be wrong, but I don't think this type of separation occurs in the U.S. (in other words, I would think that planes are cleaned before they are put back into service--where I do not know but it wouldn't be unreasonable to do that in the hangar).
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
On one of our AA excursions, we had an aircraft go u/s and the replacement came from a hangar at another airport (according to some tracking). The first thing that happened when it docked at the gate was a swarm of cleaners going on board.

So cleaning during maintenace/hangar time may not be universal.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Blue
Admittedly I am going back to the 70's when I was a student with a Summer job cleaning for Court Line (remember them?!) at Luton.
Most of the work was on turn arounds but we also performed interior 'deep cleans' in the hangar during the aircraft's maintenance schedule.
We had a spray for the linings and the sight of nicotine trickling down the sides is not one I remember fondly!
It would certainly have removed those stains in the photos.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
The real question is: why BA airplanes seem to be dirtier than other airlines like LH, AF, OS, LX, KL, etc?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Good question! The problem is the ‘seen to be’ bit ... are we more vocal on the BA Forum?

I shall scrutinise my AA environment in June (TATL and TCon in J) and see what I can find to compliain about!!
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, BA Exec Club, Hilton Honours
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I imagine because maintenance areas need to be tightly controlled for both safety and security reasons - and the cost of putting a trained, cleared subset of cleaners into maintenance bays just doesn’t make any sense when the work can be done in a dedicated area and another plane put into the maintenance hanger - which is called Dynamic Resource Allocation.
Should Dynamic Resource Allocation not find it possible to dynamically allocate a team of cleared cleaners to the maintenance area.....??
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by simons1
Still don't get what you are going on about.

The aircraft was in the hangar for 3 days as it was undergoing maintenance. There are no cleaners in the maintenance area so it could not be cleaned there.

It was obviously late coming back from maintenance as you told us that - perhaps there was an issue that had to be fixed before it could be signed off to fly.

What would you have preferred - a longer delay so that a deep clean could have been done while you all sat at the gate waiting?
Do you have any documentation or proof that the maintenance area is a more secure area than others? Or are you just making up things to defend BA's mistake?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Any aircraft coming out of engineering is cleaned and security checked once it arrives at the terminal.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Nils21
Do you have any documentation or proof that the maintenance area is a more secure area than others? Or are you just making up things to defend BA's mistake?
Oh dear.

Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by simons1

Oh dear.

So you are admitting that you have no clue and just made up things. Nothing to be ashamed of though but you could have choosen to keep quiet rather than to defend the airline.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Any aircraft coming out of engineering is cleaned and security checked once it arrives at the terminal.
This is true. In my time at BA, cleaners did come to clean aircraft while they were in maintenance - often when the aircraft was moved just after a flight and it was staying in for a few days. If the aircraft was only in for a short schedule it would be cleaned and checked on return to the terminal.

In short, it would entirely be possibly to do deep cleans during maintenance (when there is no cabin maintenance), but it’s generally the basic clean that goes on. I remember fondly watching the cleaners come on, clean a bit and then stretch out and watch a movie/have a snooze after I disabled the IFE...
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:43 pm

BA is getting a reputation as the 'dirty airline'. Given all I've heard and seen about it, at least for me it's a factor now in booking decisions.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Nils21
So you are admitting that you have no clue and just made up things. Nothing to be ashamed of though but you could have choosen to keep quiet rather than to defend the airline.
Thank you for making me and a colleague laugh so much we had to reach for the Andrex. Comedy gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.