Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA207 20th Dec - not sure they cleaned it

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Why can't the maintenance people have cleaners?
Really - aircraft cleaners operating in a high security area where everything is tightly controlled. Doesn't sound ideal to me. The aircraft should be positioned somewhere outside and cleaned on its way back to service but clearly the timings here were too tight to do that.

You can probably imagine how it would look on Air Crash Investigation if something serious happened on the first flight back - people would say 'well it was a bit silly having cleaners moving around the maintenance area'.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Could they not pay the engineers maintaining the plane a bit more to do some cleaning as well?
I personally think there are two choices:

1) Cancel flight because cleaning cannot be done to requisite standard; or

2) Fly the flight and explain that cleaning hasn’t been done.

Which would you prefer?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Originally Posted by FrancisA

I personally think there are two choices:

1) Cancel flight because cleaning cannot be done to requisite standard; or

2) Fly the flight and explain that cleaning hasn’t been done.

Which would you prefer?

I think you forgot option 3:

3) Fly the flight and shrug your shoulders when asked why the plane is filthy.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:24 am

Option 4 would be to fly an airline that takes pride in cabin appearance - there are plenty available.
wyvern and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:29 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Could they not pay the engineers maintaining the plane a bit more to do some cleaning as well?
How much do you believe a qualified aircraft maintenance engineer, possibly with many 10s of years experience, gets paid compared to a cleaner?

And do you really think that is a good use of their skills and time?

So yes, they could - but it would be total madness!
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:38 am

You have confirmed what a number of us have long suspected.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by simons1
You have confirmed what a number of us have long suspected.
Exactly. The engineers are obviously spending too much of their time cooking the Club World meals. Time for them to be redeployed, obviously.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:41 pm

You're missing a trick. It would be cheaper to let the cleaners do the maintenance.
GaxxyFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
We had the same "boarding delayed while cleaners on board" last week on BA183 (LHR-JFK).

When I got upstairs, the top of the locker next to my seat was covered in yellow crumbs, as though a Ritz biscuit had been broken over it.

When they can't even be bothered to hoover the obvious surfaces, in a premium cabin on a flagship route, you know you really have a problem
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
We had the same "boarding delayed while cleaners on board" last week on BA183 (LHR-JFK).

When I got upstairs, the top of the locker next to my seat was covered in yellow crumbs, as though a Ritz biscuit had been broken over it.

When they can't even be bothered to hoover the obvious surfaces, in a premium cabin on a flagship route, you know you really have a problem
Not for me to defend anyone but how long did they have to get the job done? Maybe there was only time for the basics like galleys and toilets while passengers were sat waiting.

The real fault here lies with BA and their apparent inability to manage things effectively.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
You're missing a trick. It would be cheaper to let the cleaners do the maintenance.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Took an early night last night as I'm still a bit jet lagged, seems my post has caused a bit of chat :-)

In summary, I don't expect BA to cancel flights due to cleaning! All I expect is that as part of aircraft turnarounds & maintenance BA has processes in place to ensure that cabins are free from obvious grime of the sort I encountered.

Clearly if there is a ridiculously tight turnaround due to crew coming out of hours/curfew etc then I'd make an exception, but this aircraft had been in the hangar for 3 whole days.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Took an early night last night as I'm still a bit jet lagged, seems my post has caused a bit of chat :-)

In summary, I don't expect BA to cancel flights due to cleaning! All I expect is that as part of aircraft turnarounds & maintenance BA has processes in place to ensure that cabins are free from obvious grime of the sort I encountered.

Clearly if there is a ridiculously tight turnaround due to crew coming out of hours/curfew etc then I'd make an exception, but this aircraft had been in the hangar for 3 whole days.
Still don't get what you are going on about.

The aircraft was in the hangar for 3 days as it was undergoing maintenance. There are no cleaners in the maintenance area so it could not be cleaned there.

It was obviously late coming back from maintenance as you told us that - perhaps there was an issue that had to be fixed before it could be signed off to fly.

What would you have preferred - a longer delay so that a deep clean could have been done while you all sat at the gate waiting?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Blue :(
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Flew upper deck CW on the BA207 (LHR -> MIA).

Flight was approx. 45m / 1 hour late leaving as the aircraft (G-CIVD) was late arriving on stand from the LHR maintenance area and the cleaners were still on board.

However what they were actually doing whilst on board is anybody's guess as seen by the below photos taken upon arrival at my seat.

Think I will email BA to complain but I am not sure what good it will do as I don't think they really care.
This is normal for BA, even the new 787 look that untidy.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
So having complained to BA about this along with the extremely poor cabin crew on the return to LGW, I received a call from BA customer services today.

Apparently two internal reports have been filed and will be followed up in house regarding the cabin crew & cleaning issues.

We've each been provided with 10k Avios as a goodwill gesture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.