Wiki Posts
Search

BA hand luggage weight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
BA hand luggage weight

I checked the ba website for the hand baggage regulations and I just want to check if I understand it correctly.

This is from the website https://www.britishairways.com/en-de...age-allowances

Adults, young adults and children
1 handbag/laptop bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 40 x 30 x 15cm / 16 x 12 x 6in)
plus
1 additional cabin bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 56 x 45 x 25cm / 22 x 18 x 10in)

Do they really mean 23kg? Is this even possible to put 23kg in a cabin trolley or a laptop bag? What kind of laptop is that?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
There is, in practice, no weight limit if you can lift the item into the overhead bin yourself.

(Trivially, a cabin bag full of lead shot would be several times the permitted weight, and a tad difficult to get into an overhead bin.)
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:00 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by flyingfkb
I checked the ba website for the hand baggage regulations and I just want to check if I understand it correctly.

1 handbag/laptop bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 40 x 30 x 15cm / 16 x 12 x 6in)
plus
1 additional cabin bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 56 x 45 x 25cm / 22 x 18 x 10in)

Do they really mean 23kg? Is this even possible to put 23kg in a cabin trolley or a laptop bag? What kind of laptop is that?
Very possible. I travel with camera gear so I frequently have 20kg+ in my hand luggage. I always lift it myself.
FeedbirdNiner likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Yes they really do mean 23kg
Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by flyingfkb

plus

Yes, its one of BA's biggest benefits. As long as you aren't silly on size and can get it into the overhead lockers then it's pretty much open season. Not one memory springs to mind of anyone getting any trouble with bags that are clearly too big.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Thanks for the clarifiying answers. As someone who normally travels with LH I' m used to 8kg for hand baggage and 23kg for checked luggage. Seem ba is much more generous.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
On a flight yesterday, a fellow passenger asked me whether I could put her hand luggage in the overhead for her as she couldn't lift it. I could barely lift it either - she said that it was full of books. It must have weighed considerably more than 23kg.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:46 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Misco60
On a flight yesterday, a fellow passenger asked me whether I could put her hand luggage in the overhead for her as she couldn't lift it. I could barely lift it either - she said that it was full of books. It must have weighed considerably more than 23kg.
That was kind of you. She had no business bringing bags that she could not lift in the locker herself. Had you hurt your back, then doubtless she would have been sympathetic which would do you a fat lot of good.
RJD1983, LTN Phobia and Geordie405 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
VS have a weight limit for carry on bags (loosely enforced) but BA don't.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
That was kind of you. She had no business bringing bags that she could not lift in the locker herself. Had you hurt your back, then doubtless she would have been sympathetic which would do you a fat lot of good.
It doesn't take very much to put my back out these days - even reaching down to the bottom shelf in Waitrose can do it. Late middle age is a terrible period of adjustment and lowered expectations.

But I'd been chatting to the lady in question at the gate, and didn't feel that I could refuse, even politely, to put her bag up for her.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:11 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Misco60
It doesn't take very much to put my back out these days - even reaching down to the bottom shelf in Waitrose can do it. Late middle age is a terrible period of adjustment and lowered expectations.

But I'd been chatting to the lady in question at the gate, and didn't feel that I could refuse, even politely, to put her bag up for her.
Clearly you are a far nicer person than me. I would have told her that I had a bad bag and let her look for some other mug (not that I think you a mug of course) to do it for her.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:43 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
I had a facepalm moment once at Seoul, where I asked a female colleague who was seeing me off to lift my case. She remarked how heavy it was. The facepalm was because I did it in front of the handluggage inspectors at the entrance to security who weigh the cases to check they are under 10kg. Luckily they said that if I went back to the Finnair check in desk to get them to tag it as approved for the cabin I could take it through. Finnair has a 10kg limit (which I've rarely seen enforced) but they did tag it as suitable and I got away with it...
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
VS have a weight limit for carry on bags (loosely enforced) but BA don't.
I must be desperately unlucky then as every time I've flown them my carry on bag has been weighed at check in and I've been told in no uncertain terms to redistribute items to bring it under the maximum.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
I wonder how the pilots calculate the Take off weight?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by steve170461
I wonder how the pilots calculate the Take off weight?
I think based on average weights. They dont weigh the people...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.