DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I'll say it....

Depends how fit the missus is...
1975 is on the phone - it wants its joke back......
1Aturnleft and msm2000uk like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by PAL62V
1975 is on the phone - it wants its joke back......
No if you want a 1970s joke I'd go with:

"I saw a doctor today...

...He didn't see me though, I was hiding."
shefgab, xdh, PAL62V and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by gcuk
My wife and I regularly select a window and aisle as I prefer the window seat and she prefers the aisle.
If someone is seated in the middle, they usually offer to switch with one of us but we politely decline.
I fail to see what is inconsiderate about selecting our preferred seats.
I'm glad my wife and I are not the only couple that do this (except I'm the one that prefers the aisle).
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:54 am

LHR - SEZ 16th Dec

I was probably about the 25th person to board and headed for 10k which I had chosen weeks ago as I like the window and don't like not getting my choice of meal further down the cabin.

On arrival the lady in 10J had already placed her small child on the seat and was standing on guard in entrance to my seat. I put my small bag in the overhead locker and then had to ask her to move explaining that 10k was my seat, she didn't look very pleased at all. The small child/baby was already making noise and trying to climb through the divider, another passenger gave me a good luck look as I was taking my seat, which the mother noticed as said very aggressively to the other passenger "Yes, I have a small child in business class" and then told me "to wait until you're married with children" , I smiled politely and sat down.

The lady was still standing up, clearly surveying the cabin as it filled, I assumed looking for somewhere she could sit next to her partner, who didn't seem to be about. Some economy passengers then boarded, who presumably didn't fly much and were looking down at their passes and up at the row numbers quite a lot, the DYKWIA lady then without being prompted, pointed down the plane and said loudly and patronisingly to them "It's a long way, down there". The poorly behaved child then spilt it's drink all over itself as I was asking the lady if her partner was also on the plane (genuinely thinking I could help by swapping if he had a comparable seat), I then got the response "yes, but he's somewhere else". Where he was, was answered a few seconds later, when he, with a group 5 boarding pass, arrived and had quick words with her, before heading to economy. She then proceeded to take the child to the bathroom to get his wet clothes off. During this time I decided to politely check if there were any other decent seats free with the crew as I didn't want to sit next to her or the child. The only one available on the ipad was 11e, so I opted to stay put. The DYKWIA lady then re-appeared as boarding was completed and set about trying to persuade me to move seats to 11e, which she had seen was empty. I said I wanted to stay put as I liked having a view, she then told me it would "Really help her and that seat (mine) was supposed to have been blocked for her" to which I replied it was perfectly free to choose a few weeks ago. Her trying to make me think that there had been a mistake with my seating made me annoyed enough, the next bit annoyed me even more.

She then set about talking to an immaculately behaved/polite little boy in 10F who was sat in a line with his family and must have been about 8. She told him that he really should move to 11E as it was unfair that she had to sit with her child on her lap (despite having paid for 1 seat) and that it would be very helpful if he moved. After a bit more guilt tripping/persuading he politely agreed to move away from his family to the row behind. The DYKWIA then beckoned over the crew to say "This little girl (the boy was wearing a turban) has agreed to move, please help her do this". He then confirmed to the lady that he was in fact a boy. It was only as the crew were helping him move, and the DYKWIA was installing her infant in 10F, that his mother realised what was going on and didn't look too happy, but decided not to have the fight - I saw her discussing the issue with the crew later in the journey.

The DYKWIA didn't say a word to me for the rest of the flight, but was very rude to my mother who had leaned over to check in with me on her way back from the bathroom (just as the DYKWIA was returning from a trip to visit her husband in economy), she also didn't like her meal and made the crew get her a starter from the first cabin.

I didn''t let it ruin the flight, but it's the first time I've genuinely felt awkward sat next to someone on a plane in all my flights this year. I was also slightly annoyed the crew let her get away with this behaviour and let her have two of the better seats in the cabin for the price of one.
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Joshm300
....the next bit annoyed me even more.

She then set about talking to an immaculately behaved/polite little boy in 10F who was sat in a line with his family and must have been about 8. She told him that he really should move to 11E as it was unfair that she had to sit with her child on her lap (despite having paid for 1 seat) and that it would be very helpful if he moved. After a bit more guilt tripping/persuading he politely agreed to move away from his family to the row behind. The DYKWIA then beckoned over the crew to say "This little girl (the boy was wearing a turban) has agreed to move, please help her do this". He then confirmed to the lady that he was in fact a boy. It was only as the crew were helping him move, and the DYKWIA was installing her infant in 10F, that his mother realised what was going on and didn't look too happy, but decided not to have the fight - I saw her discussing the issue with the crew later in the journey.
I agree, this is pretty disgusting behaviour, a grown adult directly talking to and guilt tripping a small child to move. Any conversation of that kind regarding moving the child should only have been addressed to the parents or to cc.

Last edited by KARFA; Dec 17, 2018 at 7:06 am
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Sounds like her husband had the best idea by sitting as far away from her as possible!
SKT-DK, SW7London, OttoMH and 19 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
She then set about talking to an immaculately behaved/polite little boy in 10F who was sat in a line with his family and must have been about 8. She told him that he really should move to 11E as it was unfair that she had to sit with her child on her lap
Wouldn't a minor have needed a parent in an adjacent seat?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:19 am

It was only as the crew were helping him move, and the DYKWIA was installing her infant in 10F, that his mother realised what was going on and didn't look too happy, but decided not to have the fight - I saw her discussing the issue with the crew later in the journey.
I have to say that I am constantly amazed at the spinelessness shown by some people to DYKWIA's. In some cases it's obviously easier to ignore them but in this case, why on earth would the parent of the boy not say something then and there?? I would be apoplectic if my son had been approached like that when he was 8 and he had then thought that he'd better get up and move.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by PAL62V
I have to say that I am constantly amazed at the spinelessness shown by some people to DYKWIA's. In some cases it's obviously easier to ignore them but in this case, why on earth would the parent of the boy not say something then and there?? I would be apoplectic if my son had been approached like that when he was 8 and he had then thought that he'd better get up and move.
She was amazingly commanding/controlling of the situation, clearly using her tiny knowledge of flying to try and intimidate less experienced travellers. She was also very confrontational, so certainly one of those people it’s easiest just to ignore if you can stomach it. It just annoyed me the crew didn’t manage her, she got on that flight with the clear intention to have twice as many seats as she paid for and that’s what she got.

Her lack of flying knowledge showed when She tried to tell me the reason the flight was so full was because “air Seychelles cancelled their flight to London last night”. I decided not to try and explain to her that neither the twin otter or a320 has quite got the range for that journey.
1Aturnleft, PAL62V, YacozA and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by charlieboy77
If you've reserved a seat and then choose to sit somewhere else, you've effectively taken up 2 seats as nobody likes to sit in a reserved seat that isn't reserved for them and will more often than not remain empty. I don't think this is a very British thing to do. Especially if the train is busy.
I disagree.Virgin will book up reserved seats face to face, and in blocks of four first, leaving empty seats available and you face to face with a stranger. The seats on my route have never been full in First class on a weekday in over 8 years of travelling regularly, if they are first class (it will be full if decomissioned on delays to trains). So there are plenty of seats available and I am not denying anyone a valid seat if they want it. I'm usually sitting in a block of 4 seats by myself.

So the problem you describe is just not a problem in First class on a weekday. Plenty of seats. Most people squeezed into their allocated seats.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:11 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I didn''t let it ruin the flight, but it's the first time I've genuinely felt awkward sat next to someone on a plane in all my flights this year. I was also slightly annoyed the crew let her get away with this behaviour and let her have two of the better seats in the cabin for the price of one.
The way she behaved, she probably should not have even had the lap child in J.

The woman was clearly disgraceful (pressuring a child for her benefit really is disgraceful), unreasonable, demanding chiseller, and probably booked the child with the husband in Y and brought it into J.

If I had a child and the woman put pressure for him/her to swap like this, I'd have said no, get back to her seat and leave my child alone, and told her never to talk to him/her in such a demanding manner, and warned the cabin crew members of her behaviour so that she would not try to do it to someone else.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Strawb
I was in the OneWorld business lounge at TBIT recently and witnessed a couple taking over the 2 sofas in front of the TV opposite the food buffet area, near the entrance. They had made themselves quite at home, personal possessions all over the area. Lady had sunglasses on and was sitting normally, glued to her phone. Her companion, wearing trackies, a lot of bling and a t-shirt that didn't cover his lower back, was lying belly down with both bare feet hanging off the armrest. I honestly could not believe what I was seeing.

None of the lounge staff seemed interested in going anywhere near them. It was just unsightly and I had no interest in sitting anywhere near them, unlike some others in close proximity. As I was on the other side of the bar out of view of this unpleasant sight I ignored it...but what would you do?
i would have gone to the lady and asked if anybody was sitting there if she was occupying the sofa alone and started to get ready to sit down, I actually did this at the MAD IB lounge before the refurb by asking which 2 of these 6 seats they weren’t using
SaturdayKid and twincheeks like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Perhaps not a true DYKWIA but there is a very active discussion on Twitter this morning by one particular passenger about the lack of boiled eggs in the arrivals lounge at Heathrow - the person concerned takes every opportunity to nag BA persistently via social media and is excelling himself today.

Happy New Year everyone.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Well Ian looks like a grumpy old b*gger doesn't he?!
Brighterside likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:42 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by stu1985
Well Ian looks like a grumpy old b*gger doesn't he?!
If he has been enjoying boiled eggs due to a medical condition for a period of time and these have been taken away then it seems fair to ask why. Seems that between BA and Heathrow he is being told various reasons and so hence the number of messages

BoiledEggGate

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.