DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by jerub
Absolutely nothing. I would do absolutely nothing about it. Even if there were no seats left in the entire lounge: I would prefer to stand cocktail party style (juggling small plate of food, napkin, and champagne glass while trying to have polite conversation with someone I don't know the name of) than approach people acting like that.
Yeah. This.

I'm proactive with dealing with bad behaviour generally - I've been known to lean over and close laptop lids of people shouting into Skype conversations in quiet lounges, but if someone wants to sit Rab-C-Nesbitting in the lounge then that's up to them. I'll go sit elsewhere.
ibbitsc and aidy like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Strawb
I was in the OneWorld business lounge at TBIT recently and witnessed a couple taking over the 2 sofas in front of the TV opposite the food buffet area, near the entrance. They had made themselves quite at home, personal possessions all over the area. Lady had sunglasses on and was sitting normally, glued to her phone. Her companion, wearing trackies, a lot of bling and a t-shirt that didn't cover his lower back, was lying belly down with both bare feet hanging off the armrest. I honestly could not believe what I was seeing.

None of the lounge staff seemed interested in going anywhere near them. It was just unsightly and I had no interest in sitting anywhere near them, unlike some others in close proximity. As I was on the other side of the bar out of view of this unpleasant sight I ignored it...but what would you do?

Nothing - if there were other options for seating. But if it was fairly full I would approach staff and ask that they ask the area be made available to others to also use. I would not approach the 'offenders' directly.
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:12 pm

Was travelling LHR - LAS via SFO business Virgin then 1st with Alaska

Everything was fine and I boarded Alaska to sit in seat 1A

Im settled in and a lady sits next to me. Eventually she leans over to me and says "You wouldnt mind if my husband comes forward and sits in your seat and you can have his in the row behind ?" I tell her YES I do mind but I have a solution. Why doesnt SHE sit in the row behind with her husband and give the person sitting next to him her seat at the front. OH if looks could kill. And NO she didnt sit with her husband LOL

Last edited by calpsy; Dec 15, 2018 at 6:13 pm Reason: miss spelling
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Airprox
It is invite only based on spend and sits somewhere between GGL and PREM.
CK is by invitation only, but based on more than spend. It's really based on ability to influence spend. So, for example, it's a safe bet that the travel managers for the Fortune 100 are probably all CK because they set the travel policies for their organizations. But spending a ton as a individual doesn't necessarily get you a CK invitation.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by calpsy
"You wouldnt mind if my husband comes forward and sits in your seat and you can have his in the row behind ?" I tell her YES I do mind but I have a solution. Why doesnt SHE sit in the row behind with her husband and give the person sitting next to him her seat at the front. OH if looks could kill. And NO she didnt sit with her husband LOL
I had exactly the same situation earlier this year on a BA flight in Club Europe to a leisure destination. I'd been watching the seat map periodically in the days leading up to my flight as the cabin was becoming quite busy judging by the assigned seats and I was curious at what point the curtain would extend back.
Row 1 is only able to be assigned by golds/silvers until T-72hrs or thereabouts when it opens up for others to select. I had assigned myself 1A at time of booking and until approximately 3 days out I was the only passenger assigned to the row. At or around this time I happened to look back at the seatmap again and noticed that row 5 (4 seats) was suddenly freed up as available and the 3 remaining seats in row 1 had been assigned. Fast forward to boarding and I settled into my seat. Knowing I now had a seatmate, I like to get on board as early as possible in order to secure overhead space above my seat. The rest of row 1 (1 adults and 2 kids) rocked up literally seconds later. Dad was clearly disappointed to see someone sat in 1A. Set the 2 kids up in 1DF and plonked himself down in 1C. A few minutes later he leaned over and posed me a similar proposition to the Alaskan flyer above - I'm encouraged to look back and to the right where a woman (I assume his wife) is waving back to me from 3F and whether I'd be up for swapping seats with her. I politely decline the offer of sitting further back and the guy keeps pushing the proposition. How I'm travelling on my own and how they're not and how it would be really helping them out if I were to move. I state that I've picked this seat for a specific reason (I'm 6'3 and appreciate the additional knee space in row 1) and counter proposition him of swapping with 3D so that he can sit next to his wife which did not to meet with approval either. It is only at this point I suggested to Mr 1C that perhaps he should have just stayed in row 5 in order to have remained sat together with the family and I'm met with his open mouth and no answer back in response. I had no proof of course of their seat shifting their way forward in the cabin. People are perfectly entitled to do so, however the proof to me came in the shape of his mouth agape and lack of response. Not a further word was spoken for the entire flight, although much taking over of the central console ensued for the flight with his eyeglasses, book, ipad, phone and the likes taking up most of the space. I felt this was a reaction designed to annoy and provoke, although in reality it really didn't as I had nothing apart from my phone to place there anyway. I just smiled to myself, deployed the B seat table for additional space and enjoyed the service.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Dec 15, 2018 at 10:55 pm
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by charlieboy77
I had exactly the same situation earlier this year on a BA flight in Club Europe to a leisure destination. I'd been watching the seat map periodically in the days leading up to my flight as the cabin was becoming quite busy judging by the assigned seats and I was curious at what point the curtain would extend back.
Row 1 is only able to be assigned by golds/silvers until T-72hrs or thereabouts when it opens up for others to select. I had assigned myself 1A at time of booking and until approximately 3 days out I was the only passenger assigned to the row. At or around this time I happened to look back at the seatmap again and noticed that row 5 (4 seats) was suddenly freed up as available and the 3 remaining seats in row 1 had been assigned. Fast forward to boarding and I settled into my seat. Knowing I now had a seatmate, I like to get on board as early as possible in order to secure overhead space above my seat. The rest of row 1 (1 adults and 2 kids) rocked up literally seconds later. Dad was clearly disappointed to see someone sat in 1A. Set the 2 kids up in 1DF and plonked himself down in 1C. A few minutes later he leaned over and posed me a similar proposition to the Alaskan flyer above - I'm encouraged to look back and to the right where a woman (I assume his wife) is waving back to me from 3F and whether I'd be up for swapping seats with her. I politely decline the offer of sitting further back and the guy keeps pushing the proposition. How I'm travelling on my own and how they're not and how it would be really helping them out if I were to move. I state that I've picked this seat for a specific reason (I'm 6'3 and appreciate the additional knee space in row 1) and counter proposition him of swapping with 3D so that he can sit next to his wife which did not to meet with approval either. It is only at this point I suggested to Mr 1C that perhaps he should have just stayed in row 5 in order to have remained sat together with the family and I'm met with his open mouth and no answer back in response. I had no proof of course of their seat shifting their way forward in the cabin. People are perfectly entitled to do so, however the proof to me came in the shape of his mouth agape and lack of response. Not a further word was spoken for the entire flight, although much taking over of the central console ensued for the flight with his eyeglasses, book, ipad, phone and the likes taking up most of the space. I felt this was a reaction designed to annoy and provoke, although in reality it really didn't as I had nothing apart from my phone to place there anyway. I just smiled to myself, deployed the B seat table for additional space and enjoyed the service.

Interesting variation on this. Mrs Row9 and I travelling to Naples and we've tried to play the seating game by picking a window and aisle seat, a row or 2 back from the curtain in the hope that theoretical seating keeps the middle seat free. Sometimes works, but if it doesn't there's usually a short conversation during boarding in which the person assigned the middle seat is more than happy to swap with one of us for the choice of either the window or aisle. On this occasion, passenger arrives just before the end of boarding and makes the usual polite gestures to indicate that he's in the middle seat so I'll have to stand-up to let him in. Usual conversation then ensues, with said offer of swapping for the window or aisle; except it wasn't usual as he very politely declines and spends the journey in the middle seat. Now I've heard of the mythical middle-seat-preferring genus, but, FTers, they really do exist!
LTN Phobia, estate, wrp96 and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Row9; Dec 15, 2018 at 11:57 pm
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:02 am

Good for you! Thanks for sharing such heartwarming story.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Row9
Interesting variation on this. Mrs Row9 and I travelling to Naples and we've tried to play the seating game by picking a window and aisle seat, a row or 2 back from the curtain in the hope that theoretical seating keeps the middle seat free. Sometimes works, but if it doesn't there's usually a short conversation during boarding in which the person assigned the middle seat is more than happy to swap with one of us for the choice of either the window or aisle. On this occasion, passenger arrives just before the end of boarding and makes the usual polite gestures to indicate that he's in the middle seat so I'll have to stand-up to let him in. Usual conversation then ensues, with said offer of swapping for the window or aisle; except it wasn't usual as he very politely declines and spends the journey in the middle seat. Now I've heard of the mythical middle-seat-preferring genus, but, FTers, they really do exist!
He probably realised the game you played and decided to be stubborn despite not liking the middle seat
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
He probably realised the game you played and decided to be stubborn despite not liking the middle seat
I know a couple of people who aren't the greatest flyers who will only sit in their assigned seats; regardless of others being available when they board. They're both concerned about the worst happening and their families not getting them back.
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Good for you! Thanks for sharing such heartwarming story
No problem. I do wonder what might have happened if they had boarded before me and whether I would have got on board to find an occupied first row.

I have less heartwarming stories to share as well you know
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
I think there's a very british thing about reserving a seat and thinking it can't be possible to sit anywhere else... I travel regularly First class of Virgin west coast trains. The reserved coaches will be full to the brim with everyone sitting in their reserved seats, and the unreserved coaches empty. I usually just sit in a decent set of 4 seats in the unreserved. But not many do...
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Row9
Mrs Row9 and I travelling to Naples and we've tried to play the seating game by picking a window and aisle seat, a row or 2 back from the curtain in the hope that theoretical seating keeps the middle seat free. On this occasion, passenger arrives just before the end of boarding and makes the usual polite gestures to indicate that he's in the middle seat so I'll have to stand-up to let him in. Usual conversation then ensues, with said offer of swapping for the window or aisle; except it wasn't usual as he very politely declines and spends the journey in the middle seat. Now I've heard of the mythical middle-seat-preferring genus, but, FTers, they really do exist!
No-one prefers a middle seat but I, like your fellow passenger, would also have politely declined your offer to swap with one of you.

Selecting window and aisle is an inconsiderate tactic, and if you play that game you have to be prepared to lose sometimes.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Smid
I think there's a very british thing about reserving a seat and thinking it can't be possible to sit anywhere else... I travel regularly First class of Virgin west coast trains. The reserved coaches will be full to the brim with everyone sitting in their reserved seats, and the unreserved coaches empty. I usually just sit in a decent set of 4 seats in the unreserved. But not many do...
If you've reserved a seat and then choose to sit somewhere else, you've effectively taken up 2 seats as nobody likes to sit in a reserved seat that isn't reserved for them and will more often than not remain empty. I don't think this is a very British thing to do. Especially if the train is busy.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Especially if the train is busy.
Although in this case, train is not busy if there are entire coaches empty...
djbenedict likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by jms_uk
Although in this case, train is not busy if there are entire coaches empty...
In that moment in time no but trains have this habit of stopping further down the line and letting people on....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.