DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:20 am

In a slight reversal of all this boarding malarky, Mrs PAL62V and I were travelling together out of EWR a few weeks back. I'm lowly Bronze (about to hit Silver again thank goodness) and she's only Blue. So I figured I'd do the right thing and wait with her until Group 4 was called, annoyingly as I had a large cabin bag that I desperately wanted to get into the overhead locker.

Anyway, EWR was very organised and methodical and a really jolly gate lady making sure every BP was checked for Group numbers. Group 3 is finished, We start to move into the Group 4 queue and she looks at my BP and says, "Oh, you two can go ahead pass this lot - you can obviously bring your wife with. You should have come forward at Group 3". It was kind of a case of DYNKWYA?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:23 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by cjb666
Can you imagine BA doing that?
One can dream...

Originally Posted by jwhite9185
To be honest, I don't see why the crew couldn't have let him stay put, and just not fed him, seeing as he wasn't causing any trouble
Well you can be certain some people would have still taken insult in him sitting there either because it wasn't *them* being allowed to sit there or because they sat in Business and couldn't have a non Business pax sit in their holy cabin...
cjb666 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
To be honest, I don't see why the crew couldn't have let him stay put, and just not fed him, seeing as he wasn't causing any trouble
Thin end of the wedge. Itll be a cold day in hell when I want to see a Y pax moved up to the CE cabin, particularly if Ive got the cabin to myself. Next thing you know theyll be using the premium loos! 😁

Strangely, I dont think this when Im sat in Y .... 🤔
estate, wrp96, clubeurope and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Kid moves up. Mum moves into the cabin half hour later to talk to kid. Brothers/sisters follow. At what point does CC step in?

Personally I think the CC did exactly the right thing here, and Dad should have known better than to try and move his kid into another cabin - You wouldn't do it on long haul so why is it OK in CE?
SKT-DK, LTN Phobia, KARFA and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:54 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by krispy84

Thin end of the wedge. Itll be a cold day in hell when I want to see a Y pax moved up to the CE cabin, particularly if Ive got the cabin to myself. Next thing you know theyll be using the premium loos! 😁

Strangely, I dont think this when Im sat in Y .... 🤔
this is hilarious
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I was recently on an AA flight that went tech in Barcelona. The lady next to me was Concierge Key. The CK team phoned her, got her off the flight and onto the plane next to me which was the last opportunity to get to the US on that day. They clearly knew who she was. Can you imagine BA doing that?
For an equally important passenger BA would, and Ive seen it happen. Not a phone call but a Special Services agent who boarded the aircraft.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

For an equally important passenger BA would, and Ive seen it happen. Not a phone call but a Special Services agent who boarded the aircraft.
Dont be bashful Tobias-UK, was it you? This is the DYKWIA thread after all!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar

With the jetbridge pulled back already? I doubt it...
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:42 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by alex67500
With the jetbridge pulled back already? I doubt it...
Well obviously the jetbridge would be reconnected when the technical fault was found 🙄
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: GGL

Where does CK equate in the BA status hierarchy? I chatted to my fellow passenger, and while she traveled a lot (2 Transatlantics per month), she wasn't of the influence of a Prem. She just spent a lot with AA.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, CR
Originally Posted by krispy84

Dont be bashful Tobias-UK, was it you? This is the DYKWIA thread after all!
i wouldnt consider myself a particularly important passenger, but Ive twice been discretely asked whilst on a much delayed plane if Id like to disembark for another flight. The first time I was travelling with a PREM, the second time next to one who I vaguely knew but was chatting with.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Where does CK equate in the BA status hierarchy? I chatted to my fellow passenger, and while she traveled a lot (2 Transatlantics per month), she wasn't of the influence of a Prem. She just spent a lot with AA.
It is invite only based on spend and sits somewhere between GGL and PREM.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I consider AA EP to be as hard to get (or maybe a bit harder), and as well-treated, as BA GGL. CK is distinctly beyond GGL in how well you get treated, especially in AA's hubs or at major outstations (such as LHR). CK might well be compared to Lufthansa HON Circle.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
I was in the OneWorld business lounge at TBIT recently and witnessed a couple taking over the 2 sofas in front of the TV opposite the food buffet area, near the entrance. They had made themselves quite at home, personal possessions all over the area. Lady had sunglasses on and was sitting normally, glued to her phone. Her companion, wearing trackies, a lot of bling and a t-shirt that didn't cover his lower back, was lying belly down with both bare feet hanging off the armrest. I honestly could not believe what I was seeing.

None of the lounge staff seemed interested in going anywhere near them. It was just unsightly and I had no interest in sitting anywhere near them, unlike some others in close proximity. As I was on the other side of the bar out of view of this unpleasant sight I ignored it...but what would you do?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Strawb
I was in the OneWorld business lounge at TBIT recently and witnessed a couple taking over the 2 sofas in front of the TV opposite the food buffet area, near the entrance. They had made themselves quite at home, personal possessions all over the area. Lady had sunglasses on and was sitting normally, glued to her phone. Her companion, wearing trackies, a lot of bling and a t-shirt that didn't cover his lower back, was lying belly down with both bare feet hanging off the armrest. I honestly could not believe what I was seeing.

None of the lounge staff seemed interested in going anywhere near them. It was just unsightly and I had no interest in sitting anywhere near them, unlike some others in close proximity. As I was on the other side of the bar out of view of this unpleasant sight I ignored it...but what would you do?
Absolutely nothing. I would do absolutely nothing about it. Even if there were no seats left in the entire lounge: I would prefer to stand cocktail party style (juggling small plate of food, napkin, and champagne glass while trying to have polite conversation with someone I don't know the name of) than approach people acting like that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.