DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
To the gentleman on crutches at T5 yesterday afternoon - the fact that you have a gold tag on your backpack and crutches does not mean that you can walk past a queue and in front of other people who are queuing patiently at immigration - albeit on buggy. And if the driver politely points out that there is a queue - please do not ignore her as if she was not there!
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
To the gentleman on crutches at T5 yesterday afternoon - the fact that you have a gold tag on your backpack and crutches does not mean that you can walk past a queue and in front of other people who are queuing patiently at immigration - albeit on buggy. And if the driver politely points out that there is a queue - please do not ignore her as if she was not there!
I think I'd make an exception for crutches.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by smokie36
I think I'd make an exception for crutches.
However he managed to walk from the plane to immigration - so waiting an extra minute or two in the queue should not have been an issue!
nldogbert likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:18 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

However he managed to walk from the plane to immigration - so waiting an extra minute or two in the queue should not have been an issue!
Indeed, during the winter/ski season you have an increase of passengers with plasters, crutches, etc - but I guess if they don't have any other health problems, waiting for that extra couple of mins will not kill them.
Outside of BA specifically, in general I really hate those who needs pre-boarding for 1 person, but you see the whole family or group follow in line to board. I think airlines should be more logical and permit at least max 2 persons to board with the eligible passenger or move to the front of any queues.

Cheers!
Cotumely likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
Ahh I thought you meant he was on the buggy!
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:41 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I am sure your medical assessment from afar simply by looking is spot on: you now know what is the exact condition of this disabled person and that standing will not be an issue.
AlanA likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fransknorge
I am sure your medical assessment from afar simply by looking is spot on: you now know what is the exact condition of this disabled person and that standing will not be an issue.
I am sure that if standing was an issue he would have got assistance from the plane / or politely said 'sorry I'm in discomfort do you mind if I queue jump'.

As opposed to walking without any great difficulty past the buggy and then standing in line ignoring the driver.

But eh - he had a gold card luggage tag on his backpack so all is well - that gives priority over others
lhrpete likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:16 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I am sure that if standing was an issue he would have got assistance from the plane / or politely said 'sorry I'm in discomfort do you mind if I queue jump'.

As opposed to walking without any great difficulty past the buggy and then standing in line ignoring the driver.
Please give me a medical opinion for you to make this certain conclusion.
You are judging without no knowledge of this person disability as well as his psychology. One might be in discomfort but not ask for jumping queue (usually due to the negative reactions and judgments most people would have).
AlanA likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Bronze

But eh - he had a gold card luggage tag on his backpack so all is well - that gives priority over others
My late M-I-L could walk very well but could not stand in one spot for more than a few seconds.
This may have been the case with this person.

On another note if you spot a major DYKWIA moment next week - it’ll be MrD, he is too used to getting his own way
AlanA likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold

Eh??? Mrs Cyclops has Multiple Sclerosis. Thankfully mild. She can walk off a plane and down stairs (but generally needs a wheelchair these days in big airports) but if she was to stand for a length of time she would need a seat. A couple of years ago she would have been Mr crutches.
AlanA and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by missdimeaner

My late M-I-L could walk very well but could not stand in one spot for more than a few seconds.
I fully understand this and as a result of a hip injury 10+ years ago I have this problem, I can walk for miles but standing still for more than a couple of minutes is extremely painful. It feels like a fraud to ask for priority when people see you walk otherwise and an assumption is made that you want to queue jump. Believe me, I'd rather be able to stand in the queue and have my full range of movement back than experience the pain I do. It does affect travel decisions e.g. I will only go to the US through Dublin where I can pre-clear as standing in US immigration queues is just not a possibility.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold

I do agree that jumping the buggy is bad.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Having been on crutches myself earlier this year, and traveled through a lot of airports, I fully sympathise with this chap wanting to skip the queue. The people that use the buggies can often take a ridiculously long time to get themselves through immigration, and I wouldn’t want to have to wait behind them.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by missdimeaner

Even "simple" back problems have this peculiarity. While walking is ok, standing is very uncomfortable and becomes painful quite quickly.
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
To the gentleman on crutches at T5 yesterday afternoon - the fact that you have a gold tag on your backpack and crutches does not mean that you can walk past a queue and in front of other people

you seem to have a thing about GoldCard Holders.

the comments about the levels of assistance required by fellow passengers are fatuous.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.