DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold!/OWE
Not really a DYKWIA, more a baffling status parading.

I flew into T5 Sunday morning and hit the holy grail of the immigration hall (for Non-EU passport holders, anyway)- a virtually empty hall. The main non-EU line was completely empty with about 8-10 desks open. Fast track had a queue of about 4 people (with its usual one desk.) I walk through the switchbacks of the main line and am seen immediately by an immigration officer.

By the time I'm admitted back into the country, main line is still empty, but fast track now has a queue of about 10 people. Hope they enjoyed the wait.
davm666 and no2blues like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by chance88088
Not really a DYKWIA, more a baffling status parading.

I flew into T5 Sunday morning and hit the holy grail of the immigration hall (for Non-EU passport holders, anyway)- a virtually empty hall. The main non-EU line was completely empty with about 8-10 desks open. Fast track had a queue of about 4 people (with its usual one desk.) I walk through the switchbacks of the main line and am seen immediately by an immigration officer.

By the time I'm admitted back into the country, main line is still empty, but fast track now has a queue of about 10 people. Hope they enjoyed the wait.
Was it because one of those purple jacketed VIPs in the immigration area was barking at people to join that queue on the basis of seeing a pass?

I was holding one of those passes one morning last week in T2 and was told I had to join the priority queue, I ignored the repeated barks and cleared through the EU e gates as usual - but some people just do as they are told.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
Was it because one of those purple jacketed VIPs in the immigration area was barking at people to join that queue on the basis of seeing a pass?

I was holding one of those passes one morning last week in T2 and was told I had to join the priority queue, I ignored the repeated barks and cleared through the EU e gates as usual - but some people just do as they are told.
This is a point I want to confirm,.... I arrived into T5 a few weeks ago, the E gates were rammed with at least 12 per e gate. But the middle manual check queue for those without E passport or family was empty. I had my headphones on and played ignorance to the purple VIP barking at me to go E gate, I walked halfway before a border force person stood in front of me and would not let me pass and told me I HAVE to use the E Gate. Even when I said this has no queue and would be quicker, he said I don't care, you use the E gates...

So, can they force you to use the E gates at LHR? Surely they can not stop a UK citizen?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by PrivatePilotDR40
So, can they force you to use the E gates at LHR? Surely they can not stop a UK citizen?
No they officially can't stop you. If they try again next time just say my chip is broken
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by aidy
No they officially can't stop you. If they try again next time just say my chip is broken
So sounds like someone was just having a bad day and wanted to be a jobs worth.... Ill play the broken chip card in my coming visits to LHR, soonest being Thursday
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by PrivatePilotDR40

No they cant, I suggest that you use my approach; get them to read the first page of the passport and then tell them to move aside in the name of Her Majesty.
shefgab and HilFly like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by kanderson1965

No they cant, I suggest that you use my approach; get them to read the first page of the passport and then tell them to move aside in the name of Her Majesty.
But does this approach work? Or is it bend over and touch your toes time?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by leftorupstairs
But does this approach work? Or is it bend over and touch your toes time?
Thats more HMRC than Border Farce
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Meanwhile ... back on the DYKWIA Topic ...

FOCUS, boys and girls! Where are these innumerable DYKWIA individuals? Identify and Report, please!
Simonmiller and twincheeks like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by T8191

FOCUS, boys and girls! Where are these innumerable DYKWIA individuals? Identify and Report, please!
Uncle T, Im doing my first, with status, ET trip in early Jan and will practice my group two, coming though! just for you. Shall report back on the various indignities I will suffer! 🙂
T8191, wrp96 and alex67500 like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by krispy84

Uncle T, Im doing my first, with status, ET trip in early Jan and will practice my group two, coming though! just for you. Shall report back on the various indignities I will suffer! 🙂
Be careful...some of the GGL's have steel toe capped boots.
T8191 and alex67500 like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Virgin Flying Club Red; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by T8191

T8191 - here you go

I recently had the joys of a real DYKWIA travelling on a day flight to an un-named middle eastern country. Sitting in economy in the DEF block towards the front on in seat F, I spotted him coming down the left aisle to his seat in the ABC block in row 30 something, gold tags jingling. He left his partner at the seat and went straight to the stewardess by the door on the HJK side, where the exit row seats were yet to be taken. I witnessed a firm Im a gold card holder conversation, gesturing at the badges on his bag, and realised he was trying to shotgun the untaken exit seats.

The stewardess firmly told him to go to his seat on the ABC side and wait until boarding was completed. As soon as I heard the boarding completed announcement, I moved to the K seat in the exit row. About a minute later, Mr. DYKWIA came over and told me it was his seat. I sat firm, made it very clear it wasnt his seat any more than it was mine and held out. He tried again, and I reminded him it wasnt either of our seats and I got there first. I did helpfully point out that the middle seat was still free (someone else had moved to the H seat)

He then insisted the stewardess call the cabin manger to sort it out. She came down, all flustered as obviously she had more important things to do, and decided he was too much hassle to deal with and moved him to a spare middle seat in WT+ That made Mr. 26H upset, as he wanted to know why another gold card holder was more important than him. The stewardess witnessing all of this remarked that the man was an absolute piece of works and apologised to us for the whole incident.

The CSM then came over to thank us for being so understanding, apologised also for the DYKWIA being so unpleasant and straight after take off, sent down club amenity kits and water bottles and made sure we were well looked after for the flight.

It does make me wonder what sort of gold card holder he really was (maybe a lapsed one?) if he couldnt book empty exit seats for himself let alone pay to travel further forward than Y
T8191, 'andad and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by aidy
I find looking slightly concerned and saying "I need to speak to Border Force officer" generally works wonders...
aidy likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by hb133
T8191 - here you go

The CSM then came over to thank us for being so understanding, apologised also for the DYKWIA being so unpleasant and straight after take off, sent down club amenity kits and water bottles and made sure we were well looked after for the flight.

It does make me wonder what sort of gold card holder he really was (maybe a lapsed one?) if he couldn’t book empty exit seats for himself let alone pay to travel further forward than Y…
Now THAT'S what I call DYKWIA! Thank you! ^

I also admire your nimbleness of foot and general cabin awareness, which shows potential for DYKWIA behaviour in the future.

Of course, the 'lapsed card' ploy I have used myself, to get the free shuttle bus to the DUB Hilton as an expired HHons Gold. A rare moment of inappropriate behaviour which I have never repeated [more than twice].
wrp96, smokie36, Keystone and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold!/OWE
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
No, I didn't see anyone trying to herd people to specific queues and the way we entered the immigration hall you'd have to walk past the main queue to get to the fast track so easy to just turn left into the empty line.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.