Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Not quite DYKWIA but just as poor conduct... Someone was clipping his toenails on a flight.

OK, there is perhaps more space and comfort level is better in an F seat than in the loo, but need you do that there in public, when both loos were free? It wasn't an emergency removal of split nail or something like that either. It was lots of clip, clip, clip, clip, clip, clip, clip....
I would have gave him an opportunity to stop..if not then your getting uploaded to social media
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:02 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Not quite DYKWIA but just as poor conduct... Someone was clipping his toenails on a flight.

OK, there is perhaps more space and comfort level is better in an F seat than in the loo, but need you do that there in public, when both loos were free? It wasn't an emergency removal of split nail or something like that either. It was lots of clip, clip, clip, clip, clip, clip, clip....
In the immortal words of a Swiss Flight Attendant after the exact same situation at deplaning: "First Class, but no class."
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: Hilton/Diamond, BA/Gold
On todays BA961 (MUC - LHR) as soon as the group 1 announcement made, young woman jumps up, pushes all else out of her way proudly saying "Im gold, group 1, out the way please".

Why do people feel the need to do it?
T8191, wrp96, smokie36 and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by andrewr1985
On todays BA961 (MUC - LHR) as soon as the group 1 announcement made, young woman jumps up, pushes all else out of her way proudly saying "Im gold, group 1, out the way please".

Why do people feel the need to do it?
Low self-esteem, in all other areas. Gold only achievment in life?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 1:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
A woman across the aisle from me who was quite clearly fit and did not have a problem bending down to pick things up (given how she was quite happily taking things in and out of her bag on the floor earlier) dropped a meal tray on the floor, made a right mess and left it there (window seat), and expected cabin crew to clean up all the mess without putting any effort whatsoever in to clear it up herself. There was clearly enough space to bend down and pick those things up as well, so the space wasn't a problem.

She expressed some objections when asked by the cabin crew to pass him the tray (he couldn't reach it without getting the aisle passenger to get out of his seat) for landing because it was on the floor and could not be pushed under the seat in front because her bag was there. She eventually begrudgingly passed it onto him but did not even try to pick up the cup, dish or cutlery etc. The crew member was incredibly patient!

The woman seemed pretty DYKWIA to me - "I'm so important I do not clean up my own mess".
Old Nov 23, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Ah, LTN, that's not DYKWIA .. that's just 'society' these days. Always somebody else's problem.
LTN Phobia, wrp96, Pandra and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: Hilton/Diamond, BA/Gold
Originally Posted by 'andad
Low self-esteem, in all other areas. Gold only achievment in life?
She did manage to have three Gold tags (roller case, shoulder bag, purse) so not sure if that's a new GGGGL status (Gold Gold Gold Guest List)
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
Amusing scene in the CCR this morning. A few of us were on the 830 to Dublin, we boarded at a remote stand and then the captain announced Dublin's radar had broken and wouldn't be up and running again until midday.
Those who wanted to offload themselves voluntarily could do so (including Grumpypants and myself).

Back in the CCR and the lady at the front desk is doing a wonderful job helping me rebook. Grumpypants storms past and goes out the old "secret door" and berates the staff there with "Who is actually in charge in this lounge!!?? I'm trying to rebook my flight and there's 200 staff in here and no-one will help me. [shouting now] I mean what is the point of being a gold guest list member and a Concorde Room member if no-one will help me rebook my flight!!"

He wandered off while the lady on the door got who I assume was the lounge manager. While she did so he came back, and stormed out the door muttering "useless, absolutely useless" under his breath as he walked by me.

I told the manager "Grumpypants stormed out", and gave him a sympathetic smile. I don't think anyone is having a good day here with the problems at DUB. Hope it resolves soon!
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by estate
Amusing scene in the CCR this morning. A few of us were on the 830 to Dublin, we boarded at a remote stand and then the captain announced Dublin's radar had broken and wouldn't be up and running again until midday.
Those who wanted to offload themselves voluntarily could do so (including Grumpypants and myself).

Back in the CCR and the lady at the front desk is doing a wonderful job helping me rebook. Grumpypants storms past and goes out the old "secret door" and berates the staff there with "Who is actually in charge in this lounge!!?? I'm trying to rebook my flight and there's 200 staff in here and no-one will help me. [shouting now] I mean what is the point of being a gold guest list member and a Concorde Room member if no-one will help me rebook my flight!!"

He wandered off while the lady on the door got who I assume was the lounge manager. While she did so he came back, and stormed out the door muttering "useless, absolutely useless" under his breath as he walked by me.

I told the manager "Grumpypants stormed out", and gave him a sympathetic smile. I don't think anyone is having a good day here with the problems at DUB. Hope it resolves soon!
About half of the GGLers are on here so come on own up!
wrp96 and aidy like this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:35 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
If he was a FTer he'd have known the correct solution is to call the GGL line whilst having an espresso martini in comfort.
aks120, estate, Cymro and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:47 am

​​​​
Last year in SOF, boarding group 3-5 and commotion starts further back. As it gets closer the source turned out to be a suited gentleman, announcing "Priority card holder coming through! MAKE WAY, priority card holder coming through!!!" Who wasn't quick enough to "make way" got less than friendly push.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 9:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by estate
Grumpypants storms past and goes out the old "secret door" and berates the staff there with "Who is actually in charge in this lounge!!?? I'm trying to rebook my flight and there's 200 staff in here and no-one will help me. [shouting now] I mean what is the point of being a gold guest list member and a Concorde Room member if no-one will help me rebook my flight!!"
I'd have been so sorely tempted to say something like "OH REEEALLY! They have been wonderfully helpful with MY rebooking. I wonder what the problem is then..." (implication being that he is inflicting it upon himself through his conduct) but kept my mouth shut.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
She did manage to have three Gold tags (roller case, shoulder bag, purse) so not sure if that's a new GGGGL status (Gold Gold Gold Guest List)
I rest my case, "Gold only achievement in life".
Nick Art likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust
And the Gold status could have been gifted by a GGL
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
That would be an own GOAL then?
alex67500 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.