DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by Can I help you
What is it with the lifts in T5 that seems to bring out the worst in people?
You mean like pressing the -4 button and sauntering off down the maze of corridors leaving confused people behind?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by Pascoe
"I am bronze" or "I am bronzed"? ;-)
I assumed that 'I am bronze' referred to a generous application of fake tan!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: BA, A3, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by firstlight
You mean like pressing the -4 button and sauntering off down the maze of corridors leaving confused people behind?
DYKIKATC
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Wink

Originally Posted by Castle25
My original statement is correct then - just from Oct 2011. I am wrong & right at the same time
Bored now though.......
typical bronze response!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Can we please get back to DYKWIA events?

Please?
T8191, AAtticus, Marschel and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CR
I flew to Athens this afternoon and a gentleman barged past us all in the Group 1 line. Ive been to and from Athens a lot over the last few weeks, and you get to see the same faces on the planes. We all observed there is something wrong with you if you are desperate to get on that old 767.

He was nowhere to be seen in the Club Cabin. It was actually a bit sad.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Probably not "DYKWIA" but possibly a little anti social: Gentlemen in the B gates departures lift pressing frantically the "doors close" button and getting visibly upset about the number of people still getting in, with the doors attempting twice to close, until to be interrupted by yet another waving arm. As the doors are finally closed nothing moves. He had forgotten to press the floor button.
Bless him, he clearly doesn't know the trick to stop the doors being opened again once they're closing.

Originally Posted by billyb750
Erroneously showed my CE boarding pass for the AMS flight, which was sternly dismissed by the attendant with an I am sorry sir, this lounge is reserved for our first class ticket holders; the lounge you can use is our Galleries Club lounge which is located over there [emphasis added on the over there].
Can't say I blame the guardian entirely, I'd say close to half the time when clearing South Security you'll see someone arguing the toss over entry.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Fraser
Bless him, he clearly doesn't know the trick to stop the doors being opened again once they're closing.
OK I'll bite. What is it?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by mattyw
OK I'll bite. What is it?
There is a poster about it in the LGW's First Wing...
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:46 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
This thread is just great.

I would like to add my little story of nearly becoming a DYKWIA. I think I kept my temper, but I was close. The place is Edinburgh and I have just passed the fast line to security when Im told that I there is a problem with my pocket knife. As you may know in Europe they usually allow you to take a pocket knife with a blade of up to 6cm, mine being just under the limit. To my surprise the knife was not the actual issue, but the cork screwer was. I probably had a are you fing kidding me look on my face, because the security agent repeated herself twice. I then proceeded to ask why exactly a tiny 5cm long cork screwer posed a greater risk than a 6cm blade, and was therefore forbidden, but the actual larger blade was not. Not really amused she told me that this was a new rule to which I expressed my opinion about how ridiculous it is. So she tells me either they take the knife or break off the cork screwer. They attempted to do the second, failing miserably (it didnt even have a scratch, Swiss quality engineering right there). I am a little stubborn and something that I try to avoid by any means is to have to give up a knife at the airport. No matter where, but I will find another way to have that knife arrive at my destination or my home.
(I am still extremely annoyed when coming from a flight from RAK in GVA at the screening for a connecting flight to ZRH (that was sheduled to leave in 20 minutes) they discovered to my absolute horror that I had somehow a large metal scissors in my hand luggage. (One of these very big old metal only type ones).
Having to give that scissor up still hurts to this day, not only for losing it materially, but because of the hit my ego took for somehow taking a scissor into my hand luggage (and not being allowed to have it sent to my home in ZRH by postsl service)(I had passed security in ZRH and RAK with the scissor in my hand luggage without realizing, go figure). Its basically representatice to a defeat and I hate it.

Since I had now wasted several minutes at the security check point which I could have spent in the amazing Edinburgh Aspire Lounge instead, I told her that I would be having my knife back, turned around and proceeded landside to a kiosk where I started to prepare an envelope to send it to me.
By chance, I ran into a friend, who had not yet checked his bag and who was willing to take the knife for me.

And all this because of a cork screwer.

EDIT: corrected blade length from 7 to 6cm, corrected spelling of Edinburgh. (Yes, Blashpemy of the highest order, I know)

Last edited by Nick Art; Nov 1, 2018 at 2:49 am
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:55 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Nick Art
As you may know in Europe they usually allow you to take a pocket knife with a blade of up to 7cm, mine being just under the limit.
Well, the limit is 6 cm. It has been for quite some time now.

Even ZRH airport website says it's 6 cm:
https://www.zurich-airport.com/passe...ecurity-checks

And the UK government website:
https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-rest...personal-items

The security staff should have picked up on it, really.

To my surprise the knife was not the actual issue, but the cork screwer was.
That is because corkscrews are NOT allowed at UK airports either:
https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-rest...personal-items
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
Nick Art - Your rather obvious misspelling of Edinburgh, twice, will loose you some sympathy I think.
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krispy84
Nick Art - Your rather obvious misspelling of Edinburgh, twice, will loose you some sympathy I think.
Spelling class continues.
You meant "lose," you wrote "loose."
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by rickg523
Spelling class continues.
You meant "lose," you wrote "loose."
The perils of posting at 0200.

Ill get my hat ......
rickg523 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
This thread is just great.

I would like to add my little story of nearly becoming a DYKWIA. I think I kept my temper, but I was close. The place is Edinborough and I have just passed the fast line to security when Im told that I there is a problem with my pocket knife. As you may know in Europe they usually allow you to take a pocket knife with a blade of up to 7cm, mine being just under the limit. To my surprise the knife was not the actual issue, but the cork screwer was. I probably had a are you fing kidding me look on my face, because the security agent repeated herself twice. I then proceeded to ask why exactly a tiny 5cm long cork screwer posed a greater risk than a 7cm blade, and was therefore forbidden, but the actual larger blade was not. Not really amused she told me that this was a new rule to which I expressed my opinion about how ridiculous it is. So she tells me either they take the knife or break off the cork screwer. They attempted to do the second, failing miserably (it didnt even have a scratch, Swiss quality engineering right there). I am a little stubborn and something that I try to avoid by any means is to have to give up a knife at the airport. No matter where, but I will find another way to have that knife arrive at my destination or my home.
(I am still extremely annoyed when coming from a flight from RAK in GVA at the screening for a connecting flight to ZRH (that was sheduled to leave in 20 minutes) they discovered to my absolute horror that I had somehow a large metal scissors in my hand luggage. (One of these very big old metal only type ones).
Having to give that scissor up still hurts to this day, not only for losing it materially, but because of the hit my ego took for somehow taking a scissor into my hand luggage (and not being allowed to have it sent to my home in ZRH by postsl service)(I had passed security in ZRH and RAK with the scissor in my hand luggage without realizing, go figure). Its basically representatice to a defeat and I hate it.

Since I had now wasted several minutes at the security check point which I could have spent in the amazing Edinborough Aspire Lounge instead, I told her that I would be having my knife back, turned around and proceeded landside to a kiosk where I started to prepare an envelope to send it to me.
By chance, I ran into a friend, who had not yet checked his bag and who was willing to take the knife for me.

And all this because of a cork screwer.
Cool story bro

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.