DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:14 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
My normal CCR attire!
I used to dress in shorts/jeans (depending on where I'm going) a hoody and a baseball cap. However I've smartened up a little bit recently as I've found being scruffy and casual in the CCR means people stare at you thinking you're famous. Which gets old really quickly.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by billyb750
Not really a DYKWIA, but more an encounter with one of the guardians to the CCR at LHR during my first, and only time, of having entitlement to use the CCR.

My itinerary was a same day return from LHR-AMS in Club Europe, followed by an onward flight from LHR to JFK in First later the same day.

Got to LHR in the morning prior to my AMS flight and approached the CCR via the airside route (not via the First Wing, which at the time didnt exist). Erroneously showed my CE boarding pass for the AMS flight, which was sternly dismissed by the attendant with an I am sorry sir, this lounge is reserved for our first class ticket holders; the lounge you can use is our Galleries Club lounge which is located over there [emphasis added on the over there].

How the attendant was then surprised when I pulled out the subsequent LHR-JFK boarding pass. Oh, they then said in a somewhat reconciliatory and more cheery manner, Please do come on in!

Just made me chuckle how the attendants demeanour changed from me showing them the wrong boarding pass to the right boarding pass! 😀 To be fair to the attendant as well, I was dressed in jeans, trainers, and a hoodie, which probably didnt help my credentials.
They will get a lot of this from people unsure of which lounge to use. It's quite reasonable really - though I had a similar situation when travelling in F when they looked first at the status on the BP (which at the time was silver) and dismissed me with a curt - "the lounge for silver is upstairs sir". A quick retort of "I'm in First Class" resulted in profuse apologies.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I used to dress in shorts/jeans (depending on where I'm going) a hoody and a baseball cap. However I've smartened up a little bit recently as I've found being scruffy and casual in the CCR means people stare at you thinking you're famous. Which gets old really quickly.
I've posed for fan photos over in the GL twice while dressed like a tramp. I look very like Jeffrey Morgan from The Walking Dead tv show.
argonath and bhbloke like this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by NRGsaver
Minor DYKWIA in T5. I was sitting in the waiting area of the First Wing yesterday afternoon. Two ladies walked into the area and one of the ground staff asked them if they would like to check in. 'No,' said one. 'I would just like to sit here and re-charge my mobile. I'm bronze, you see'. She was very put out when told that the First Wing was for First Class or gold exec card holders. 'But I'm bronze, and I should be allowed to do this'. Sadly for them, this cut no ice with the ground staff member who gently but firmly directed them elsewhere.
"I am bronze" or "I am bronzed"? ;-)
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: Gold Actually
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Never actually been Bronze. Maybe when I stop flying then I will slip back and cherish the new found status
I think you will find you were bronze at some stage as you cannot go from 295 points to 600 points in 1 flight. For at least 1 sector, you would have been bronze.......
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by Castle25
I think you will find you were bronze at some stage as you cannot go from 295 points to 600 points in 1 flight. For at least 1 sector, you would have been bronze.......
1. Many people have been silver or above since well before BA Bronze was even a thing.

2. Some people were stolen/status matched from other airlines and will never have been the lower tiers of BAEC.
wrp96, Dover2Golf and aidy like this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:54 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
As above - When I started, my tier points reset every time I went up a status, so had to achieve many more TPs to get Gold - Still got it in 4 months.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:57 am

Incorrect. Many people have held higher status before the Bronze tier was introduced to BAEC.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by Airprox
1. Many people have been silver or above since well before BA Bronze was even a thing.

2. Some people were stolen/status matched from other airlines and will never have been the lower tiers of BAEC.
and 3. presumably in theory if you do enough LH sectors in a VERY short time period, you could get there before the TPs post (I once, in a less well / frequently travelled life did LIH>>HNL>>SFO>>LAS>>MSP>>LHR in one go). If that had all been in premium cabins (which sadly it most definitely was not) I'd have accrued a fair few I guess (never bothered to tot it up, and never checked if there would have been any way to get the LIH leg on an OW itinierary, but it's just an example).

To top it all off I went straight to my office on landing.

Can't claim I was hugely productive though ;-)
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Our last Hawaii trip generated 1,000 TPs thanks to creative routing

JER-LGW/LHR-DUB-CLT-LAX-OGG and return. Not for the faint-hearted, though!
Aloha again, to OGG with BA & AA in the good seats.
Mordac likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:36 am

Bronze was only introduced in October 2011 so you are mistaken I'm afraid.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
There's a sudden rash of DYKWIA behaviour in the DYKWIA thread. They're only shiny cards, lads.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: Gold Actually
Originally Posted by simons1
Bronze was only introduced in October 2011 so you are mistaken I'm afraid.
My original statement is correct then - just from Oct 2011. I am wrong & right at the same time
Bored now though.......
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Can I help you
What is it with the lifts in T5 that seems to bring out the worst in people?
Honestly the ones landside are a nightmare... I tend to get off at arrivals off the HEX to have one last smoke (much nicer than upstairs), but to get to departures after that is a nightmare! Half the time, the lift stops at the "Staff Only" floor only to go back down.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
My original statement is correct then - just from Oct 2011. I am wrong & right at the same time
Bored now though.......
Just wrong really, but don't let the facts obscure your opinions.
alex67500 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.