DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: BA GGLFL, EK Gold
Minor DYKWIA in T5. I was sitting in the waiting area of the First Wing yesterday afternoon. Two ladies walked into the area and one of the ground staff asked them if they would like to check in. 'No,' said one. 'I would just like to sit here and re-charge my mobile. I'm bronze, you see'. She was very put out when told that the First Wing was for First Class or gold exec card holders. 'But I'm bronze, and I should be allowed to do this'. Sadly for them, this cut no ice with the ground staff member who gently but firmly directed them elsewhere.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Well slightly ballsy imo but worth a try I guess although I wouldn't try it myself. As a Bronze ( soon to be Silver) with LGW as my home airport I prefer the J / BAEC approach taken there for the area although I'm sure the Gold's would rather a 1st wing like at LHR but it's just not practical there.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NRGsaver
Minor DYKWIA in T5. I was sitting in the waiting area of the First Wing yesterday afternoon. Two ladies walked into the area and one of the ground staff asked them if they would like to check in. 'No,' said one. 'I would just like to sit here and re-charge my mobile. I'm bronze, you see'. She was very put out when told that the First Wing was for First Class or gold exec card holders. 'But I'm bronze, and I should be allowed to do this'. Sadly for them, this cut no ice with the ground staff member who gently but firmly directed them elsewhere.
bizarre considering there are free HAL provided charge points nearby which they will probably have walked past on the way to TFW.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
bizarre considering there are free HAL provided charge points nearby which they will probably have walked past on the way to TFW.
But they're BRONZE. They should be allowed to do this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Of course they should, how silly not to have allowed them.
PAL62V, T8191, firstlight and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
There is a definite inflated sense of self to some Bronze card holders. It might be that its first time with status, or they earned it on 5 tp return flights for as long as it took to get there, so really did put the time in. But I've seen more bronze (or brown as I refer to it) acting up than any of the rest... Well, apart from statusless CE flyers...
Will100 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
Well slightly ballsy imo but worth a try I guess although I wouldn't try it myself. As a Bronze ( soon to be Silver) with LGW as my home airport I prefer the J / BAEC approach taken there for the area although I'm sure the Gold's would rather a 1st wing like at LHR but it's just not practical there.
when you get to gold you will be told about the Gatwick first wing, it's a very well kept secret.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by firstlight
when you get to gold you will be told about the Gatwick first wing, it's a very well kept secret.
Oh for goodness sake Firstlight, you know the rules!! I hope you are going to kill all the non-Golds who have read this post as I did it last time and I am not doing it again.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Probably not "DYKWIA" but possibly a little anti social: Gentlemen in the B gates departures lift pressing frantically the "doors close" button and getting visibly upset about the number of people still getting in, with the doors attempting twice to close, until to be interrupted by yet another waving arm. As the doors are finally closed nothing moves. He had forgotten to press the floor button.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
What is it with the lifts in T5 that seems to bring out the worst in people?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
The best thing about the T5 lifts is getting in first and pressing the button for the passage way on -4. Everyone else who subsequently piles in assumes that the button for the transit on -2 has already been pressed and so get very confused when there's no sign of a train.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by firstlight
Firstlight, what's that red dot on your forehead?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Silver
Not really a DYKWIA, but more an encounter with one of the guardians to the CCR at LHR during my first, and only time, of having entitlement to use the CCR.

My itinerary was a same day return from LHR-AMS in Club Europe, followed by an onward flight from LHR to JFK in First later the same day.

Got to LHR in the morning prior to my AMS flight and approached the CCR via the airside route (not via the First Wing, which at the time didnt exist). Erroneously showed my CE boarding pass for the AMS flight, which was sternly dismissed by the attendant with an I am sorry sir, this lounge is reserved for our first class ticket holders; the lounge you can use is our Galleries Club lounge which is located over there [emphasis added on the over there].

How the attendant was then surprised when I pulled out the subsequent LHR-JFK boarding pass. Oh, they then said in a somewhat reconciliatory and more cheery manner, Please do come on in!

Just made me chuckle how the attendants demeanour changed from me showing them the wrong boarding pass to the right boarding pass! 😀 To be fair to the attendant as well, I was dressed in jeans, trainers, and a hoodie, which probably didnt help my credentials.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by PAL62V
But they're BRONZE. They should be allowed to do this.
Never actually been Bronze. Maybe when I stop flying then I will slip back and cherish the new found status
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by billyb750
I was dressed in jeans, trainers, and a hoodie, which probably didnt help my credentials.
My normal CCR attire!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.