DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CKBA
I'll have bring my own then.... if they do <100ml jars... .
Sainsbury, amazon or ocado.

ocado is cheapest
Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by bhbloke
Marmite just ran out (a downside of the individual tiny pots) and a very disgruntled guy looked like his eyes were going to pop out of his head, followed by a very loud 'outrageous!' before scuttling away muttering under his breath.
I think deliberate another by a Marmite hater should be considered as the reason for it going missing.

Also, congratulations on geeky post number 777
bhbloke likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by CloudGazer
I think deliberate another by a Marmite hater should be considered as the reason for it going missing.

Also, congratulations on geeky post number 777
Au contraire, mon cher! Another marmite lover stealing them before heading off to foreign climes
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
LCY - EDI a week ago...

A long queue for group 1 at the gate, but when boarding starts a chap leaps up from the seating area shouting excuse me Im Group 1 and then proceeds to knock an elderly gentleman out of the way as he pushes his way to the front of the queue.

The gate agent told him to get to the back of the queue, but he shouted again Im Group 1 at which point I said so are we!.

He then boards the plane to find himself sat next to the man he knocked out of the way (very red faced) - I heard a half hearted apology, though his excuse was that boarding was moving way too slowly (something he made worse).

What an idiot!
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
More than one person in group 1 on a LCY-EDI? Whod have thought!
so3003 and TWCLAM like this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Yay.

Back to DYK who I am and not DYK what I ate :-)
SaturdayKid likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by antichef
Au contraire, mon cher! Another marmite lover stealing them before heading off to foreign climes
Be careful with that.I had my Marmite confiscated by Saudi customs because the jar revealed it contained yeast extract, and they thought it could be used to make wine. Anybody ever tried Marmite wine?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:34 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Golly LCY-EDI is a popular route for trouble

I flew yesterday, and noticed when I did OLCI that I'd been shifted from 5A to 11A due to a curtain move. Not a major issue, and I'd still be able to take photos on takeoff.

I turned up at the joy that is LCY, and within 3 minutes of arriving was at a very busy gate. I stood in line, despite no Groups being called, and we slowly moved forward.

The pace of the queue was hampered however, by a man shouting, quite loudly, about why he should be upgraded. I (all of us in the queue) learnt that he had been moved from 5B to 14D, and he was very upset about it. He had been a Gold card holder for many years, flew regularly, and had paid a lot of money for his ticket.

The gate-staff handled things quite well, and moved him to one side to process other passengers while he moaned and made a phone-call.

Now, I've seen anger in peoples eyes. I've been hit by those who are frustrated, but nothing compares to the look the chap offered me when he noticed that my 11A, had become 1B!

I thanked the agent, smiled at the angry chap who I'm pretty sure burst a blood vein, and walked down the stairs.

He was the last passenger onboard, and from the looks of things, he was somewhere down the back (likely in his original seat!).

LCY is a happy place!

M
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Edinflyer
LCY - EDI a week ago...

A long queue for group 1 at the gate, but when boarding starts a chap leaps up from the seating area shouting excuse me Im Group 1 and then proceeds to knock an elderly gentleman out of the way as he pushes his way to the front of the queue.

The gate agent told him to get to the back of the queue, but he shouted again Im Group 1 at which point I said so are we!.

He then boards the plane to find himself sat next to the man he knocked out of the way (very red faced) - I heard a half hearted apology, though his excuse was that boarding was moving way too slowly (something he made worse).

What an idiot!
When Pavlov was doing his research on classical conditioning, does anyone know whether he studied BA Group 1 behavioral tendencies too?
lhrpete, polochick, T8191 and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
When Pavlov was doing his research on classical conditioning, does anyone know whether he studied BA Group 1 behavioral tendencies too?
Unlikely but I suspect it might make a fascinating study for some anthropologist. What would be especially interesting would be looking at changes in brain chemistry and particularly stress hormones and comparisons among tiers to the same event.
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Edinflyer
LCY - EDI a week ago...

What an idiot!
Similar thing happened to me a number of years ago. Link to post. I can't help but think that these people must be embarrassed. Or maybe I just hope that they are.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Similar thing happened to me a number of years ago. Link to post. I can't help but think that these people must be embarrassed. Or maybe I just hope that they are.
I doubt it, I suspect they feel far too angry and aggrieved that others are just as important as they thought they were to be worried about being embarrassed!
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:20 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I doubt it, I suspect they feel far too angry and aggrieved that others are just as important as they thought they were to be worried about being embarrassed!
I agree, and further, I suspect they are simply too flaming furious that others are MORE important than they thought they were to feel embarrassed
WickedStepMother likes this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Oct 28, 2018 at 9:21 am
Old Oct 28, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
But there are individuals so thick skinned, so self unaware and so impervious to the opinions of others, that they may well suffer from some form of sociopathy. Think of some politicians, Sir P Green and the bloke who yesterday joined he head of the queue to board my flight to Manchester yesterday, just as it started to move.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Another minor one, after I'd turned around at NCL on Saturday lunchtime and was heading back to LHR.

Aussie guy sat in 1D, mid 50's. First of all sat berating the 'faux business class' he'd 'paid good money for' (mainly to himself, no-one was paying him any attention) then during the meal service asked for a red wine and took a mouthful and screwed up his face and left the rest.

CC clearing the trays asked him if he didn't like it, his comment 'French red wine is awful, and that one in particular is right up there with the worst I've tasted. You should be serving New World Reds rather than this French crap. Anyone who likes French red doesn't know any better and needs to educate themselves'

I just sat and looked out of the window trying not to laugh (whilst siping my Fanta Orange, a partcilarly good vintage) and the CC remarked that he was certainly entitled to his opinion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.