Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by Killian_S
Is it really 2 weeks off for Private? Some of the very top private schools in the country are on a 1-week cycle, I always thought that was the standard.. maybe this lady's children are in a special school.
My Sister in Law, long time head at various schools tells me that 2 weeks is the norm at the lower tier private schools. Pay more get less.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Originally Posted by GrayBDG
In a lot of E/NE Scotland the schools get two weeks off at this time of year - traditionally to help with the "tattie picking" on the farms...
All of Scotland’s state schools get 2 weeks off for half-term. No half-term in February which is a bummer if you are into skiing!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Originally Posted by FEMW

All of Scotland’s state schools get 2 weeks off for half-term. No half-term in February which is a bummer if you are into skiing!
News to me. My Glasgow City Council school attending children have just been off for one week, went back today. Which is the norm. February half term is three days, Mon - Wed.

October
  • Friday 12 October 2018 (In-service day)
  • Monday 15 October to Friday 19 October 2018 (October Week)
December - Christmas and New Year
  • Schools close at 2.30pm on Thursday 20 December 2018
  • Schools return on Monday 7 January 2019
January
  • Monday 7 January 2019 (Return to school)
February Mid-term break
  • Monday 11 February 2019
  • Tuesday 12 February 2019
  • Wednesday 13 February 2019 (In-Service day)

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=17024
GrayBDG likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Should have said...gosh, you must live somewhere terribly rough to have to pay for private primary school?
YacozA, Wozza2404, BoeBus and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Having a personal DYKWIA moment ... My grandson is on 2 weeks, my granddaughter is on 10 days. They are both in English Private schools.

(His is a 'Top 20 Co-educational Boarding School' according to https://www.best-schools.co.uk/uk-sc...school-awards/)
wrp96 and WickedStepMother like this.

Last edited by T8191; Oct 22, 2018 at 2:49 am
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
A single parent friend mentions the length of her children’s holiday, meaning simply ‘pity me’, is it possible it was just misunderstood. Her children have all attended boarding school on full or near full bursaries. The two week holiday is a result of six day weeks, and typically longer days than state schools, or so I’ve been told. I think they’re home for a little over two months in the summer.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many top schools do lessons on Saturday mornings as well. They are not, in any way, going to do less work then other schools. The advantage as the lady pointed out, is that if a child is boarding they can be picked up before a holiday, so 10 days to two weeks is the norm.

Of course even one week is an issue, if you have children at different schools, on different weeks holiday. Even the top schools cant be bothered to get these in line with each other.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
There were some DYKIDLTs at check-in a couple of days ago.

There must have been a black and white cat convention somewhere because there were 3 cats, and all of them were black and white.

Two of them were making grumpy noise, presumably saying Don't You Know I don't Like This about being in a cat carrier. One of them just didn't care and sat in the carrier half asleep.

Sadly on BA you don't get that but it was for A3 and not involving the UK. I had all sorts of DYKIDLTs nearby on the continent.

(I don't mind them at all, and much prefer them to humans as they tend to much cuter than humans... Those black and white beasties were in fact beauties rather than beasties)

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Oct 22, 2018 at 5:47 am
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:17 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
There were some DYKIDLTs at check-in a couple of days ago.

There must have been a black and white cat convention somewhere because there were 3 cats, and all of them were black and white.

Two of them were making grumpy noise, presumably saying Don't You Know I don't Like This about being in a cat carrier. One of them just didn't care and sat in the carrier half asleep.

Sadly on BA you don't get that but it was for A3 and not involving the UK. I had all sorts of DYKIDLTs nearby on the continent.
If you're a cat, being in a cat carrier usually means that you're going somewhere not very nice (the vet) and not very nice things happen once you get there.

I can relate to this in a personal capacity with BA 747s to Riyadh. Tempting as it was to embrace my inner cat and scream the Y cabin down, I did refrain nevertheless.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2
News to me. My Glasgow City Council school attending children have just been off for one week, went back today. Which is the norm. February half term is three days, Mon - Wed.

October
  • Friday 12 October 2018 (In-service day)
  • Monday 15 October to Friday 19 October 2018 (October Week)
December - Christmas and New Year
  • Schools close at 2.30pm on Thursday 20 December 2018
  • Schools return on Monday 7 January 2019
January
  • Monday 7 January 2019 (Return to school)
February Mid-term break
  • Monday 11 February 2019
  • Tuesday 12 February 2019
  • Wednesday 13 February 2019 (In-Service day)

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=17024
Should know better - I work for Weegie City Council!! Designing schools....
T8191 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:43 am

- and same for me in East Ren (and other Councils around Glasgow)
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Originally Posted by origin
Even the top schools cant be bothered to get these in line with each other.
Its harder than you might imagine. Most large independent schools have catchment areas which spread over more than one local authority. Local authorities (ie state schools) set their own holiday dates; Hampshire, Wiltshire and Dorset is a good example - they have different dates. Therefore, we try to match up with as many as we can and usually end up with one week of the two week half term overlapping both. There are recommended term dates from HMC, however depending on your LA dates it’s not always possible to stick to them. It’s not like we go out of our way to be difficult; believe it or not, our staff have their own children and usually want to be on holiday at the same time as they are; it’s just not always possible.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)

Should know better - I work for Weegie City Council!! Designing schools....
LOL. My kids attend a relatively newly built school on the Southside, hats off if you had a hand in it, its fairly cool !
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:16 am

Edinburgh is one week October and one week in Feb. Today's just an in-service day at my school in Edinburgh!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:41 am

LOL. My kids attend a relatively newly built school on the Southside, hats off if you had a hand in it, its fairly cool !
Cheers! We've done quite a few on the Southside - all primaries and nurseries as we don't do secondaries. Now I have to work out which one it is! :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.