Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:41 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
I am deserving, they are entitled, he is boorish?
Wow. A declension of DYKWIA. Good job
wrp96, Cymro and TheOldMan like this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:06 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I said boorish and I meant boorish.

I simply suggest that there might be complex reasons behind boorishness, so perhaps better to take a more generous, less priggish, view of others' behaviour - conscious that one day you might be the squeaking wheel that needs oiling.
The key word there being ‘might’. Often a DYKWIA is just a DYKWIA, there is an odd amount of relativism that goes on in this thread to find a justification for even the most ridiculous acts sometimes.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
As it happens, in the last few weeks I have needed that help for a family emergency - but I certainly didn't jump up and down or throw my toys out of the pram. I asked nicely what the position was for coming home early, in return BA took care of me, and I was incredibly grateful and told the agent so. You'll excuse me if your last line therefore hit a bit of a nerve.

So actually I don't believe there's any excuse for behaving like that in a situation where's there's hundreds of people with their own problems, certainly to the extent of just butting in when someone else was being served.

I guess we're all cut from slightly different cloth.

You're missing the point. Dealing one on one as a BA Gold with a BA agent, asking nicely is certainly the way to go. The Senator would have expected much the same treatment from a Lufthansa agent. Unfortunately the agent was at the very far end of a queue.

Fuelled by emergency, faced with a line of passengers eating into the available re-routes, time ticking by, desperate to get home, then it would take a level of sanctity few of us are blessed with not to pull rank.

The cloth you are cut from might compel you to stand patiently while your chances of getting home were being whittled away, but the rewards for such piety are in the after-life, and of little benefit to those whose crisis you are answering.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
You're missing the point. Dealing one on one as a BA Gold with a BA agent, asking nicely is certainly the way to go. The Senator would have expected much the same treatment from a Lufthansa agent. Unfortunately the agent was at the very far end of a queue.

Fuelled by emergency, faced with a line of passengers eating into the available re-routes, time ticking by, desperate to get home, then it would take a level of sanctity few of us are blessed with not to pull rank.

The cloth you are cut from might compel you to stand patiently while your chances of getting home were being whittled away, but the rewards for such piety are in the after-life, and of little benefit to those whose crisis you are answering.
Faced with this situation it is relatively easy to ascertain whether there is a separate arrangement for status pax, usually you can check with people at the back of the queue. When it's clear that there isn't it is a classic DYKWIA behaviour to insist that you are treated differently.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar

I'm not sure which way to lean here. Lounge access and the occasional bubbles on a flight are a good thing, but one of the top reasons for having status is that you expect to be first in line for rebookings in case of IRROPS. (And avoid being offloaded if a flight is oversold). Does this make me a DYKWIA?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by alex67500
I'm not sure which way to lean here. Lounge access and the occasional bubbles on a flight are a good thing, but one of the top reasons for having status is that you expect to be first in line for rebookings in case of IRROPS. (And avoid being offloaded if a flight is oversold). Does this make me a DYKWIA?
No, but cutting to the front of a long queue (which may well have contained other Senators and people desperate not to miss their flight), as well as being somewhat rude to the agent and the passenger being served would, in my opinion.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by alex67500
I would do just as you would, albeit with more grace than in the original story, hopefully. It can lead to funny encounters when, say, LCY loses track of all the Priority tagged luggage. It happened to me once, one lady loudly complained to have another counter opened because she was in business class. Inevitably someone else in the queue had to mention we were all in business class. Luckily bags were found after about half an hour of waiting around.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by thebigben
I would do just as you would, albeit with more grace than in the original story, hopefully. It can lead to funny encounters when, say, LCY loses track of all the Priority tagged luggage. It happened to me once, one lady loudly complained to have another counter opened because she was in business class. Inevitably someone else in the queue had to mention we were all in business class. Luckily bags were found after about half an hour of waiting around.
Ha, I find the priority luggage tag thing to never work, so I've stopped expecting it. But losing all of them is kind of comical. Probably an airport worker playing a prank on all our entitlement :-D
Ancient Observer and janehoya like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Met with the makings of a DYKWIA moment this morning.
Whilst on a JER B2B this morning, we were held up on the way out on BA2770 because of Gatwick and most of Crawley being covered in fog - no surprises there.

We arrived into JER at start time for the return leg and naturally missed our slot for the return trip, after we had boarded.

Cue someone sat a few rows back in CE (I'd bagged 1D somehow - not bad for a Bronze) ranting and raving about how it was all BA's fault and that he had an important business meeting and apparently those who fly the orange Buses were running fine!

CSM tried his best to keep him calm but he was outraged and it did sound like he was refusing to turn his phone off when we did get on the move around 11am from Jersey.

I'm glad I don't wear a suit if that's what it does to you...
Ancient Observer, T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by mtikky
Met with the makings of a DYKWIA moment this morning.
Whilst on a JER B2B this morning, we were held up on the way out on BA2770 because of Gatwick and most of Crawley being covered in fog - no surprises there.

We arrived into JER at start time for the return leg and naturally missed our slot for the return trip, after we had boarded.

Cue someone sat a few rows back in CE (I'd bagged 1D somehow - not bad for a Bronze) ranting and raving about how it was all BA's fault and that he had an important business meeting and apparently those who fly the orange Buses were running fine!

CSM tried his best to keep him calm but he was outraged and it did sound like he was refusing to turn his phone off when we did get on the move around 11am from Jersey.

I'm glad I don't wear a suit if that's what it does to you...
Funny how often it is the suits that kick off.

The BA was 54 mins late at LGW and EZY 63 mins late so he was talking balls anyway.
aidy likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Also if he was truly important, his meeting would be accommodating him and not the other way round.

Anyway, it's not the suit that does it to people!
Scots_Al, wrp96 and Harry Harry like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Originally Posted by simons1
Funny how often it is the suits that kick off.

The BA was 54 mins late at LGW and EZY 63 mins late so he was talking balls anyway.
We got there and back in one piece, with the CC still having to do a further Jer rotation before night stopping in T8191's country.

Originally Posted by Cymro
Also if he was truly important, his meeting would be accommodating him and not the other way round.

Anyway, it's not the suit that does it to people!
I'd have thought for an important meeting he'd have been on the first ex-Jer and not the one I was on...

And agreed, some people can pull off suits quite suitably (see what I did there) without becoming pompous... it's all in the personality I guess.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:31 am

Prevented a DYKWIA this afternoon. LHR to SJO and I'm connecting in from EDI. I got to the gate pretty early and sat close to the desks. At boarding I was first in the line for group one.

Pre-boarders were called forward and they included a few "checked bag to skip the line" folks. Lady as part of an old couple behind me politely asks if she can push by. I step aside and as she's passing she says to me.
Her: "Is this first?"
Me: "Yes"
Her: "Who are all these people boarding in front of us then?"
I explain and she slinks back into queue and thanks me for preventing her having an "embarrassing outburst". Then says to her husband.
"Either we didn't hear the announcements or maybe we're just completely out of touch with what's going on" .

Chatted to her a bit after that as we waited 5mins or so. Morale is DYKWIAs are people too, try to tame a wild one of you come across them.

Another proper one from July. I was just walking out of the lounge at LHR and a GCH is trying to guest his wife and two kids into galleries first. I don't hear the whole conversation but the man is very irate asking to guest all three of them in.
Some choice quotes:

He says very loudly "I'm a bloody gold card holder but won't be keeping it up next year" .

His wife says "He has over a HUNDRED THOUSAND miles!!".
Over a hundred thousand guys, this guy Avioses.
​​​​​​

​​​Felt pretty bad for the staff they were holding it together really well.
gnomeza likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
HEH @ that last one...if you were that important to BA, you'd be GGL and your wife would have the Partner Gold (if not Gold of her own...) to get the whole family into the Flounge: the fact they have a level of elite qualification would actually allow you to do the thing you're trying to do tells you they've thought about it...it's not just some omission or outrage that a GCH can't guest 3 people into the Flounge!
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
No idea if it counts, but on a flight that will remain ambiguous for obvious reasons, a member of the flight crew just insulted their colleagues world-wide by suggesting they weren't doing their jobs properly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.