Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Not wanting to defend a DYKWIA here but I sympathise a little with him as UK e-gates seem to fail more frequently for me than those used by other nations. The fact that LGW/LHR attendants are pathetically useless just adds insult to injury: I'm blind as a bat and keep my glasses on until I have positioned myself correctly in the yellow circle and turned into the correct direction. I've been frequently shouted at by those attendants for not taking off my glasses the microsecond after I entered the e-gates.

Now here's a giggle of a convo.......

( BF - Border Force MRSC - MrsClam)

BF: What's your reason for visiting the UK
MRSC: I Live here ( typically travels on her Spanish passport as born there)
BF: Oh what do you do, anything interesting? ( standard probing question)
MRSC: I work in aviation security
BF: Ohhhh wow where's that, what do you do?
MRSC: You see where you're currently sat?
BF: Yessssssssss?
MRSC: You know how when you need LGW Sec teams to come and bail you out when you dont do your job properly or dont meet your min staffing levels? *
BF: .......
MRSC: It's me you call and who bails you out, are we finished or is there anything you would like to know?
BF: Thank you MRSC

Side notes - BF are a control agency ( policing powers to a large degree for those who don't know) MrsClam & I respect their position as should all no matter how annoying it can be at times. They are effectively gatekeepers for those that would do us wrong/ harm and well done them for it. E-Gates are a ....ing joke at LGW & LHR.

*She tends to phrase it more politely despite her annoyance at having to regularly back up & allocate resources needed elsewhere to a generally unthankful agency
T8191, wrp96, msm2000uk and 1 others like this.

Last edited by TWCLAM; Oct 2, 2018 at 3:47 pm Reason: clarification points
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
^^^^ MrsClam refuses to DYKWIA with them despite how I phrased the above. They carry more day-to-day power and she respects that. How meetings with senior managers and her go after( in daily meetings) is of course considered private lmao
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:26 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Pre-Boarding at LHR has become a tad laughable, due to the "Check-in your handbaggage and skip the queue" malarkey.

We flew recently, and as we had our little one, we were invited to pre-board - which we did. By this, I mean we sat 10ft behind the Gate staff, going nowhere.

So, we waited. The crew were running late, but by the time they had turned up, and a host of handbaggage pre-boards had come forward, there were 17 of us waiting. The only people in the group that required a little extra time to board, were my group of 3.

And so, the crew turned up, and a few minutes later we get a sign to go down the escalator. We're towards the back of the Pre-Boards, but our little one is recording content for her podcast so is rather hard to miss!

When we get to the jetty, we walk past a few people dumping their handbaggage, but the crew aren't ready yet so stop the line.

By this point we are in the middle of the group, but an eagle-eared crew member shouts out "Excuse Me. Is that a baby? Please come forward". Much faffing about begins, as the people who had rushed down the jetty have to move out the way. One of them is particularly unhappy, and makes it pretty difficult for us to get past him.

At the plane door, the crewmember asks where we are sat, finds us on her iPad, and we have a 2 minute chat about flying etc. She realises I'm GGL and asks if I also have a CCR card. I smile as my wife despairs that she's now involved in a conversation about pieces of shiny plastic. However, behind us, MrCK is very agitated.

"Excuse me Miss. I am a Concierge Key holder with American Airlines. I always pre-board before all other passengers and I am sat in the Club today. I should board before these people".

Before I have a chance to turn around and silence the chap, the crewmember smiles and looks at MrCK.

"Sir, these three passengers are 3 of OUR most elite status holders, and you will board after they are seated comfortably. Until then, please be aware that it is Club Europe, not 'The Club'."

This got quite a reaction, and quite a few passengers around us chuckled at the strong interaction from the crewmember.

She got a Well Done from me, and was very good during the flight.

M
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Im intrigued by the podcast comment. Is that a euphemism for crying or a DYKWMBI moment? 😀
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by krispy84
Im intrigued by the podcast comment. Is that a euphemism for crying or a DYKWMBI moment? 😀
It's a euphemism for her being very chatty and gurgly...which at 6am is less interesting than Radio 4!

M
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Soupey202
Yesterday PRA to LHR...
That's quite a journey - I hope you had a nice time in rural Argentina!

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...rquiza_Airport)
esledo likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
It's a euphemism for her being very chatty and gurgly...which at 6am is less interesting than Radio 4!

M
👍

I had visions of miss msm2000uk as the baby vlogger par excellence.
wrp96 and msm2000uk like this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by krispy84

👍

I had visions of miss msm2000uk as the baby vlogger par excellence.
Haha!

Her content rivals that of Casey Neistat!

M
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Not wanting to defend a DYKWIA here but I sympathise a little with him as UK e-gates seem to fail more frequently for me than those used by other nations.
Dear God, the ones in Spain have a mind of their own. Alicante has some decidedly clunky ones which operate at the speed of a sloth. They were probably made by the Spanish equivalent of Netto or Kwik Save. The E Gates in UK are blissful in comparison.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA GGLFL, EK Gold
Rather elegant DYKWIA-ish moment today boarding BA 497 from Palma. de Mallorca A queue of about ten or so people in front of me (didn't look behind but there would have been a few) in the line for Group 1 - 3 which had just been called for 'boarding group one'. A stately gent and his wife/partner cruised gracefully but at some speed down the outside to the very front of the queue saying 'we are group one' which elicited the response from a couple of people that so were most of the rest of the queue. He shrugged, glanced at her, and said 'oh well, apparently everyone is group one, but we're here now' and gently but assertively inserted himself and her at the front of the line. I was speechless in admiration of his (and her) chutzpah.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by NRGsaver
Rather elegant DYKWIA-ish moment today boarding BA 497 from Palma. de Mallorca A queue of about ten or so people in front of me (didn't look behind but there would have been a few) in the line for Group 1 - 3 which had just been called for 'boarding group one'. A stately gent and his wife/partner cruised gracefully but at some speed down the outside to the very front of the queue saying 'we are group one' which elicited the response from a couple of people that so were most of the rest of the queue. He shrugged, glanced at her, and said 'oh well, apparently everyone is group one, but we're here now' and gently but assertively inserted himself and her at the front of the line. I was speechless in admiration of his (and her) chutzpah.
Sounds like the usual "just do it with enough confidence" thing and no-one will bat an eyelid...
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Pre-Boarding at LHR has become a tad laughable, due to the "Check-in your handbaggage and skip the queue" malarkey.

We flew recently, and as we had our little one, we were invited to pre-board - which we did. By this, I mean we sat 10ft behind the Gate staff, going nowhere.

So, we waited. The crew were running late, but by the time they had turned up, and a host of handbaggage pre-boards had come forward, there were 17 of us waiting. The only people in the group that required a little extra time to board, were my group of 3.

And so, the crew turned up, and a few minutes later we get a sign to go down the escalator. We're towards the back of the Pre-Boards, but our little one is recording content for her podcast so is rather hard to miss!

When we get to the jetty, we walk past a few people dumping their handbaggage, but the crew aren't ready yet so stop the line.

By this point we are in the middle of the group, but an eagle-eared crew member shouts out "Excuse Me. Is that a baby? Please come forward". Much faffing about begins, as the people who had rushed down the jetty have to move out the way. One of them is particularly unhappy, and makes it pretty difficult for us to get past him.

At the plane door, the crewmember asks where we are sat, finds us on her iPad, and we have a 2 minute chat about flying etc. She realises I'm GGL and asks if I also have a CCR card. I smile as my wife despairs that she's now involved in a conversation about pieces of shiny plastic. However, behind us, MrCK is very agitated.

"Excuse me Miss. I am a Concierge Key holder with American Airlines. I always pre-board before all other passengers and I am sat in the Club today. I should board before these people".

Before I have a chance to turn around and silence the chap, the crewmember smiles and looks at MrCK.

"Sir, these three passengers are 3 of OUR most elite status holders, and you will board after they are seated comfortably. Until then, please be aware that it is Club Europe, not 'The Club'."

This got quite a reaction, and quite a few passengers around us chuckled at the strong interaction from the crewmember.

She got a Well Done from me, and was very good during the flight.

M
gosh i do not even want to imagine how entitled this person is within the US.
wrp96 and msm2000uk like this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by NRGsaver
He shrugged, glanced at her, and said 'oh well, apparently everyone is group one, but we're here now' and gently but assertively inserted himself and her at the front of the line. I was speechless in admiration of his (and her) chutzpah.
That's happened to me. I use a gentle body block to protect the integrity of the line when the person is near me, accompanied by a pleasant and smiling, "The line is right over there, sir."
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
What exactly is the point of getting upset about someone jumping the queue?

Assuming you make it on board with the first 80% of the plane you're practically guaranteed space for your carry on. If some people are desperate to spend more time in cramped conditions inside a metal/composite material tube - Why not simply let them?
Ancient Observer and dougzz like this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by LCY8737
What exactly is the point of getting upset about someone jumping the queue?

Assuming you make it on board with the first 80% of the plane you're practically guaranteed space for your carry on. If some people are desperate to spend more time in cramped conditions inside a metal/composite material tube - Why not simply let them?
It's the principle of it.

The same as sitting in a line of traffic and you've moved 10ft in 40 mins. Then someone comes sailing up the hard shoulder or in the right only lane and naturally gets let in ahead of you.

If I'm queuing for whatever reason, why should someone else have the God given right just to waltz in front of me because they feel they're entitled / more entitled and that they don't need to queue or follow any protocol?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.