Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Brentford - as a Brit, I think I would have asked him what it was like to push in all the time. Could he give you lessons in "How to push In" as Brits are not taught how to.
"Fisticuffs/pirouettes" getting off is not worth it.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by brentford77
Just waiting for the BA782 at gate B44. About a dozen dutifully queuing at gate for group 1. Some gent in a suit just wandered past all of us to the desk and they boarded him. No movement for anyone else in the queue yet. I salute you sir for the thickness of your skin or for having a far higher status than any of the rest of us. Still, I’m in row 1 and I’m darned if you’ll get off quicker!

update: yikes it’s 1C vs. 1D ladies and gents. Place your bets please. I think I’m fitter than him and intend to encourage him to have the bangers and mash option...
To which he might reply "I'm most awfully sorry but it's a condition of the Premier card that I simply mustn't talk about boarding techniques..."
T8191, Horatio, thebigben and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Just waiting for the BA782 at gate B44. About a dozen dutifully queuing at gate for group 1. Some gent in a suit just wandered past all of us to the desk and they boarded him. No movement for anyone else in the queue yet. I salute you sir for the thickness of your skin or for having a far higher status than any of the rest of us. Still, I’m in row 1 and I’m darned if you’ll get off quicker!

update: yikes it’s 1C vs. 1D ladies and gents. Place your bets please. I think I’m fitter than him and intend to encourage him to have the bangers and mash option...
It's all about where you've stowed your bag, and angles as you get to your feet when the seatbelt sign goes off!

(getting up before the sign goes off would be cheating......)
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:30 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
[left]Just waiting for the BA782 at gate B44. About a dozen dutifully queuing at gate for group 1. Some gent in a suit just wandered past all of us to the desk and they boarded him. No movement for anyone else in the queue yet.
That reminds me, I got called to the gate about something entirely unconnected to boarding (lack of catering, actually...) and I was boarded by the gate agent before anyone else for some unknown reason.

I wonder what people thought of that situation. I must have looked rather DYKWIA as the gate agent even walked me down the steps (it was a walk-boarding - not even a bus!).

Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Probably just getting rid of a potential troublemaker, LTN
LTN Phobia and 'andad like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
You guys are pretty much confirming all stereotypes regarding the British and queues. As a group 2 man, next time I'm not gonna wait my turn just to upset some Brits
LCY8737, T8191, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by 1flyer
You guys are pretty much confirming all stereotypes regarding the British and queues. As a group 2 man, next time I'm not gonna wait my turn just to upset some Brits
Here we go ... 1776 and 1812 all over again
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:49 am

Phew.. it was a close shave coming back from BLQ this weekend. Mrs Y almost had a DYKWIA moment. The CC served rows 1, 2, then skipped right past Mrs Y and me in 3, to serve row 4 before, having run out of the chicken, offering her the remaining option of a lentil and goats cheese salad. Now, those of you who know Mrs Y will know that goats cheese would be the last choice of food she'd ever make. She would rank liver cooked like shoe leather above goats cheese.
There was a bit of a stand off.. a silent stare from Mrs Y....blood quickly draining from the CC's face. Negotiations were opened as to what the offered Ł10 BOB credit would buy, followed by a withering "we're well over an hour into the flight....you'll have run out of BOB by now" before pow!.. a chicken dish magically appears from the galley and we're all friends again.
Meantime, I'd wolfed down the salad, goats cheese and all, and was contemplating licking the plate. Delicious!
MaxFlyer, hsmall, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
It's all about where you've stowed your bag, and angles as you get to your feet when the seatbelt sign goes off!

(getting up before the sign goes off would be cheating......)
Thanks for the helpful advice. He beat me off, but hey, we brits have stamina and I overtook him on the airbridge. As I roared up the stairs to passport control I thought about doing Mo Farrar's 'mobot'...but then quickly realised it would be unbecoming
sl1ppy, Scots_Al, aks120 and 10 others like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
At T3 fast track this morning.

When I arrived, a guy was being quite assertive with the agent - and I definitely heard the phrase "I am a top frequent flyer with British Airways". The agent was having none of it though. As the auto gates weren't working (what's new?!) there was a bit of a queue behind this guy now. As he stormed off, I may have caught a glimpse of the brown boarding pass on his phone. And I definitely caught a glimpse of the bronze tag on his bag.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
At T3 fast track this morning.

When I arrived, a guy was being quite assertive with the agent - and I definitely heard the phrase "I am a top frequent flyer with British Airways". The agent was having none of it though. As the auto gates weren't working (what's new?!) there was a bit of a queue behind this guy now. As he stormed off, I may have caught a glimpse of the brown boarding pass on his phone. And I definitely caught a glimpse of the bronze tag on his bag.
Hell hath no fury like a bronze scorned!
Pascoe and Cymro like this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:28 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Not really a DYKWIA moment but one of the craziest things I've seen on a BA flight, last year flying back to LHR from Tokyo. Coming in to land, Literally 1 second (and I am not exaggerating) after the wheels hit the runway a guy popped up and started opening the overhead locker. Like seriously we were still doing 160mph and reverse thrust wasn't even engaged yet. I couldn't believe my eyes.
Que a very forceful shout from the CC to "SIR SIT DOWN NOW!!!" to with which he meekly sat down again. I mean what was he thinking!
I've seen people popping up pre-seat belt sign, but never literally on wheels contacting the tarmac.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Not really a DYKWIA moment but one of the craziest things I've seen on a BA flight, last year flying back to LHR from Tokyo. Coming in to land, Literally 1 second (and I am not exaggerating) after the wheels hit the runway a guy popped up and started opening the overhead locker. Like seriously we were still doing 160mph and reverse thrust wasn't even engaged yet. I couldn't believe my eyes.
Que a very forceful shout from the CC to "SIR SIT DOWN NOW!!!" to with which he meekly sat down again. I mean what was he thinking!
I've seen people popping up pre-seat belt sign, but never literally on wheels contacting the tarmac.
Try flying with Nigerian Airways. That’s standard practice.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PAL62V

Try flying with Nigerian Airways. That’s standard practice.
Or Alitalia..
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by SKT-DK

Or Alitalia..
... and Aeroflop.
SKT-DK and LTN Phobia like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.