Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Not convenient from London bridge - in fact even taxi takes longer then tube usually...
Oh the one time I stayed at the London Bridge hotel I was flying first on Emirates so had a limo pick up.

My DYKWIA moment sorry!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I am Qantas GOLD!

Witnessed a Qantas GOLD chew out a Qantas lounge receptionist who had the audacity to ask him to scan his boarding pass. Never heard GOLD being used so frequently in one sentence. The exchange stopped with him huffing and puffing "I'M QANTAS GOLD. YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT QANTAS GOLDs DO NOT HAVE TO SCAN THEIR BOARDING PASS!"
T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I wonder if they would be upset as the lounge filled up with QANTAS "Golds" who did not have to scan their boarding pass....
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:19 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Witnessed a Qantas GOLD chew out a Qantas lounge receptionist who had the audacity to ask him to scan his boarding pass. Never heard GOLD being used so frequently in one sentence. The exchange stopped with him huffing and puffing "I'M QANTAS GOLD. YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT QANTAS GOLDs DO NOT HAVE TO SCAN THEIR BOARDING PASS!"
He probably was an expired Gold then. Otherwise, there is no reason to react like that.

He probably had his finger on the expiry date to hide it and the lounge receptionist probably asked him to scan the BP because he/she suspected that his claim for lounge access was probably not legitimate.

I've seen the same thing before. They don't normally scan the boarding pass with QF Gold/Platinum (certainly not on domestic) but if they suspect something, they would ask.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
DYKWIA?

(Don't you Know Where I Am? e.g. Knightsbridge where it's a pain to get to Paddington to catch HEX!)
SO posh but yes its a bit difficult to get to heathrow.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Talking

Sure I can improve on that
"I'M QANTAS GOLD. YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT QANTAS GOLDs DO NOT HAVE TO GOLD SCAN THEIR QANTAS GOLD BOARDING PASS! OH MY GOLD!"
(Sorry...)
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by origin
SO posh but yes its a bit difficult to get to heathrow.
Not just "posh" areas either! I live in East London between the City and Canary Wharf and the HEX is useless for me also, it saves about 10 minutes vs. a 1 hour 15 minute journey on the Tube and involves more changes. If you live either east of the City or south of The Thames (so probably over half of the population of London) it is almost completely pointless. So sad Crossrail is delayed.
origin and Cymro like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Not just "posh" areas either! I live in East London between the City and Canary Wharf and the HEX is useless for me also, it saves about 10 minutes vs. a 1 hour 15 minute journey on the Tube and involves more changes. If you live either east of the City or south of The Thames (so probably over half of the population of London) it is almost completely pointless. So sad Crossrail is delayed.
My family is originally from east london. I agree with your comments on crossrail.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
He probably was an expired Gold then. Otherwise, there is no reason to react like that.
I don't doubt that he was indeed QF Gold as he was able to access the QF Lounge. I find it saddening to see a grown adult act like a petulant child rudely screaming at airline staff. Moreover, Gold isn't even top tier with QF, making his fit even more ridiculous. It's barely enough to access their lounges...

PS: The lounge reception took it with many eye rolls and a good laugh (once he had left)
LTN Phobia, T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Not convenient from London bridge - in fact even taxi takes longer then tube usually...
I used to work near London Bridge and I always took Jubilee to Baker Street, walk across the platform, Bakerloo to Paddington and take Heathrow Express. LB to T5 in well under 1 hour. Piccadilly line is a ....., if you unlucky, you'll have to wait 10 minutes for a T5 train, or get stopped for 10 minutes at Northfields to "regulate the gap between trains".
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I don't doubt that he was indeed QF Gold as he was able to access the QF Lounge. I find it saddening to see a grown adult act like a petulant child rudely screaming at airline staff. Moreover, Gold isn't even top tier with QF, making his fit even more ridiculous. It's barely enough to access their lounges...

PS: The lounge reception took it with many eye rolls and a good laugh (once he had left)
He probably has no 'power' in personal or professional life and decided to be a right power-crazed person on the basis of his 'elite' (haha!) status at the poor staff member. Pretty sad, really.

Even worse than someone who turned defensive because he was caught faking a status!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
If I had been caught using my expired HHons Gold card for the DUB Hilton shuttle bus I would have paid up quietly
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
This always amazes me. A friends lives the far east side of London and takes him over an hour and a half to get to Heathrow.

I live 20 minutes east of Birmingham, and it takes me an hour and 40 minutes to get to Heathrow (train, cab, HEX).
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
To be frank, public transport access to LHR is dreadful unless you live close to Paddington.

The examples given above show the problem for those living in central London. South of the river and north of the M25 it becomes far more stressful than the flight. Outside, in the regions, unless you are within reasonable access to a feeder airport, then it does not improve.

I use East Coast trains to get there.1 hour 20 to Kings Cross, then have the choice between slow hell or slower hell. So, it's a taxi or circle line to Paddington or Piccadilly line to the airport. With luggage (Air Porter do not serve said regions), the first option is awful. The second is spent wondering where the train will breakdown / stop for service regulation or just stop for no good reason. Depending on timings, and if everything works, there is usually little benefit to paying extra for the HEX. National Express offer a coach service with a change of coach in Leicester, but a journey time of almost 5 hours. And no guarantee that you will make your flight if there are traffic delays.

When does it get better? Crossrail does not serve mainline stations. Upgrades to the Piccadilly line are long promised but short on delivery. Looking at this moment in time, TFL are reporting severe delays between Acton town and all terminals. Tickets accepted on local buses? From Kings Cross? Can that be done in a day? The roads are no more reliable with the Traffic Officers obsession with closing motorways because someone has a flat tyre.

Doesn't bode well for the airports vision of pax getting to the airport on public transport.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
It's certainly slow from South London (Southern end of the Northern Line) to LHR but it's quite cheap on the tube. If i'm not in a rush I often go via West Brompton to avoid zone 1 and only pay £1.50 off peak. It takes about 1 hr 45 mins though with lots of changes.

If I have bulky luggage I usually drive which only takes 45 minutes outside of rush hour!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.