Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by travellingwigbury
LHR T5 First Wing Guest services desk just now. A rather irate gentleman explaning in no uncertain terms his upset at not being allowed through 30 minutes before his TATL flight departed, “even though it’ll only take him 5 minutes to get through.”

He also explained repeatedly that he was GGL, he’d write to Mr Cruz, he’d never fly BA again, and that it was this poor staff members fault (who remained incredibly polite and apologetic throughout).

If you fly that much, surely you’d know the conformance times, right?
TBH i do think conformance is stupid, no other terminal has this restriction, and i can easily make any A gate within 5 min from first wing...
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
TBH i do think conformance is stupid, no other terminal has this restriction, and i can easily make any A gate within 5 min from first wing...
I'd say there is a big difference between considering a known rule to be stupid (which is fair enough), and doing something despite the well-known rule and expecting it to be bent (which is not exactly clever).
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I think that some people forget that a lot happens when a customer misses conformance, standbys are onloaded and seat changes are actioned, if the flight is full your seat may have been given away.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I think that some people forget that a lot happens when a customer misses conformance, standbys are onloaded and seat changes are actioned, if the flight is full your seat may have been given away.
In an ideal world BA would have a shadow conformance cut-off - customer has First Wing access, no standbys, no checked bags and leaving from A gates so we can give them 5 minutes extra / send them a push notification asking if they need 5 minutes.

but the cost of doing that for the tiny number of cases where it’s relevant would be extortionate. I do quite like the idea of a BA administered fitness test as part of the requirements, so it could be truly personalised And DYKWIA always gonna DYKWIA... (“but last time I was let through 30 minutes before”)
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle

In an ideal world BA would have a shadow conformance cut-off - customer has First Wing access, no standbys, no checked bags and leaving from A gates so we can give them 5 minutes extra / send them a push notification asking if they need 5 minutes.

but the cost of doing that for the tiny number of cases where it’s relevant would be extortionate. I do quite like the idea of a BA administered fitness test as part of the requirements, so it could be truly personalised And DYKWIA always gonna DYKWIA... (“but last time I was let through 30 minutes before”)
... or you could just allow enough time to get to the airport...?
endoman and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by travellingwigbury

... or you could just allow enough time to get to the airport...?
Silly idea. Will never catch on (at least with a certain demographic)
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
In an ideal world BA would have a shadow conformance cut-off - customer has First Wing access, no standbys, no checked bags and leaving from A gates so we can give them 5 minutes extra / send them a push notification asking if they need 5 minutes...
The trouble is that would presumably delay the whole process that starts after the conformance time has passed for a flight by 5 minutes - eg seats/standbys etc that CIHY mentions:

At least with a one-size-fits-all conformance time the ground crew know where they stand and can get on with making the adjustments they need to.
travellingwigbury likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

But what about T3? It seems to work without conformance...
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I'd say there is a big difference between considering a known rule to be stupid (which is fair enough), and doing something despite the well-known rule and expecting it to be bent (which is not exactly clever).
Completely agree! I had a couple of close calls when Piccadilly broke down at Acton town, and then my taxi got into accident, and had I been travelling from T5 (and not T3 Vienna) I would not have made my flight...
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:55 am

Completely agree! I had a couple of close calls when Piccadilly broke down at Acton town, and then my taxi got into accident, and had I been travelling from T5 (and not T3 Vienna) I would not have made my flight...
I have got nervous on the Piccadilly Line a few times. Roll-on Crossrail!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:10 pm

Sounds like a bad trip! Did you worry about the 3rd thing going wrong?

Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Jeez haven't you old folks heard of the Heathrow Express?
alex67500 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:21 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by smokie36
Not convenient from London bridge - in fact even taxi takes longer then tube usually...
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by smokie36
DYKWIA?

(Don't you Know Where I Am? e.g. Knightsbridge where it's a pain to get to Paddington to catch HEX!)
wrp96 and smokie36 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
DYKWIA?

(Don't you Know Where I Am? e.g. Knightsbridge where it's a pain to get to Paddington to catch HEX!)
I think in a previous life I had every single delay getting to Uxbridge tube station where one of my clients was based....by tube or by car week on week was a Friday afternoon nightmare.

I'd taxi from almost anywhere to get the Heathrow Express just to prevent the flashbacks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.