Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Thought I’d share this since it’s the weekend.
This thread felt like the best place for it, though more a case of DYKWIANot

Comedy Central Clip about Priority Boarding:

Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: Tesco Clubcard, Heathrow Rewards, M&S Sparks, Caffč Nero, HSBC rewards... BAEC defector
Originally Posted by amt
Made me laugh... beach attire and LV, is it the first time you’ve seen a gay guy board a plane?
Originally Posted by PAL62V
I think AMT was being tongue in cheek.

The bag in question was certainly more tasteful than a LV and would befit any well-dressed guy, regardless of sexual orientation; unfortunately, the same cannot be said of the person.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Not quite DYKWIA, but flying ABZ -LHR today. Ended up flying CE with my other half using some avios due to need to fly earlier than originally planned.

Shortish line of us in Group 1 queue waiting to board, and a call is made asking Group 1s to board. As my other half walks towards the lady to scan her pass, a random 'gentleman' swoops in front of her from elsewhere, intentionally completely ignoring the Group1 line, scans his boarding pass and walks off.

As we walk just behind him, I mutter something under my breath about lack of class, while my other half loudly states 'clearly someone is in a hurry to get to their penis enlargement operation today' - pretty sure he heard and knew who it was aimed at.

Sheer brass neck of some terribly important people defies belief!
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Me, at LHR on Friday. Got SSSS on my boarding pass for F redemption to BOS. Called by name at the gate to come forward before boarding started. Felt a little self conscious strolling past all 4 group lines, but they did ask for me personally ;-)
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GLA37
Witnessed an excellent display of DYKWIA behaviour on a GLA-LHR flight a few years ago. Priority queue was quite long (as is often the case on this route). “Gentleman” appears, huffing and puffing at the length of the queue. He’s a bronze cardholder after all, and all these people can’t possibly be priority. Needless to say, he was directed to the back of the queue to much smirking and eye rolling around him.

I call this "Priority Syndrome". See, they promise that status will get you nearly no lines. Some language says "Be the first to board" or "Priority Boarding". This tends to make people think that they are the ONLY ones with this privilege, and that they get to board "ahead of everyone else"..not in a LITERAL sense of course, they objectively know that others will be in F and also have rights to the priority line..but when it comes down to it for real at the gate, they forget that part, and cognitively see everyone else as "other".

So when they see a line in the F lane, they tend to impulsively think that everyone in that line is Y class lice, mistaken about where they are supposed to be. THEIR position as the beneficiary of F perks and lines has been usurped in their minds. This is why F pax tend to cut the line in front of other F pax. All those promises of priority boarding and no lines, makes them think they don't have to wait in line.

Just last week in J on AA I had to send a woman to the back of the priority line, after she cut in front of us stating that she was Group 2. I had to explain that were were ALL group 2 and the line ended "back there".
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I call this "Priority Syndrome". See, they promise that status will get you nearly no lines. Some language says "Be the first to board" or "Priority Boarding". This tends to make people think that they are the ONLY ones with this privilege, and that they get to board "ahead of everyone else"..not in a LITERAL sense of course, they objectively know that others will be in F and also have rights to the priority line..but when it comes down to it for real at the gate, they forget that part, and cognitively see everyone else as "other".

So when they see a line in the F lane, they tend to impulsively think that everyone in that line is Y class lice, mistaken about where they are supposed to be. THEIR position as the beneficiary of F perks and lines has been usurped in their minds. This is why F pax tend to cut the line in front of other F pax. All those promises of priority boarding and no lines, makes them think they don't have to wait in line.

Just last week in J on AA I had to send a woman to the back of the priority line, after she cut in front of us stating that she was Group 2. I had to explain that were were ALL group 2 and the line ended "back there".
I refer to them as "Prioritit Boarders" and see them every flight...
Scots_Al and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
A couple of weeks ago, I heard a full-on DYKWIA call being made by a person sitting on a sofa in The First Wing check-in area. From the half of the conversation that I could hear, it seemed that he had a cash ticket for a flight that day and an award ticket for the same flight the next day. While in a car on the way to the airport, he'd cancelled the award ticket, presumably to ensure that he got a full refund by doing it more than 24 hours in advance. But this turned out to have been unwise, as he was actually running late and then missed the check-in deadline and got offloaded. Presumably it was a full flight that he wasn't being allowed to stand by for, because on the call he was trying to get his cancelled award ticket reinstated for the next day. As his call went on, he was evidently being told no - which prompted the predictably serial deployment of status, money spent with BA and CIV (in terms which made it obvious that he didn't understand that he was rather lower in the pecking order than he thought). Sadly, the agent decided to humour his demand to speak to a manager, and I wasn't prepared to wait any longer to discover the denouement to this entertainment.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
A guy behind me in the group 1 queue at LHR was very keen to let his friends (and seemingly everyone else in the vicinity) know that he was in group 1, would be gold soon and would get to use the “good lounge” soon.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
A guy behind me in the group 1 queue at LHR was very keen to let his friends (and seemingly everyone else in the vicinity) know that he was in group 1, would be gold soon and would get to use the “good lounge” soon.
Ahh bless him sounds like a child on Christmas Eve...
John
wrp96, florens and BlackSkyuk like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:51 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
Presumably T3 then
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Just witnessed some interesting behaviour at the GLA check in - it’s a bit of a zoo here today with a blocked baggage belt and quite a few departures in quick succession - the check in queue is running back around behind the escalators but only a handful of us in the Club Check In (which was nice) - a lady has just stormed by to the front of Club queue demanding to know if we are all Club passengers and shouting ‘clearly business class means nothing these days’ 🤣 ! What is it about airports that drives such awful entitled behaviour ! When I responded to say I was in fact flying Club (I’m actually not but just using the check in as a status passenger &#129315 she said ‘are you sure’?! A nice little entertaining experience to watch it unfold - she’s also just arrived in the lounge and at the top of her voice walking through the door said ‘well it’s hardly a first class lounge’ ! I do in fact think GLA is one of the nicest lounges on the European network but she’s clearly not seeing that.

I will watch closely for further outbursts - I think she’s about to try the soup
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
EDIT: Wrong forum. Admin please delete.

Last edited by Goaguy; Aug 19, 2018 at 9:53 am
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Chris9642
Just witnessed some interesting behaviour at the GLA check in - it’s a bit of a zoo here today with a blocked baggage belt and quite a few departures in quick succession - the check in queue is running back around behind the escalators but only a handful of us in the Club Check In (which was nice) - a lady has just stormed by to the front of Club queue demanding to know if we are all Club passengers and shouting ‘clearly business class means nothing these days’ 🤣 ! What is it about airports that drives such awful entitled behaviour ! When I responded to say I was in fact flying Club (I’m actually not but just using the check in as a status passenger &#129315 she said ‘are you sure’?! A nice little entertaining experience to watch it unfold - she’s also just arrived in the lounge and at the top of her voice walking through the door said ‘well it’s hardly a first class lounge’ ! I do in fact think GLA is one of the nicest lounges on the European network but she’s clearly not seeing that.

I will watch closely for further outbursts - I think she’s about to try the soup
I do have my doubts about eligibility at times when Group 1 queues (for certain flights) are very long, but what sort of demented, maladjusted individual translates such thoughts into speech?!

(it does mean I take quiet pleasure when people are dinged to the back of the Group 3 queue...)
argonath likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Chris9642
When I responded to say I was in fact flying Club...
You did not point out that you are even in "Executive Club"?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle

I do have my doubts about eligibility at times when Group 1 queues (for certain flights) are very long, but what sort of demented, maladjusted individual translates such thoughts into speech?!

(it does mean I take quiet pleasure when people are dinged to the back of the Group 3 queue...)
I don't think appearances necessarily translate into what queue someone belongs in. When I return from a holiday I tend to look as scruffy as they come, when I go on a business trip, I tend to be in a suit. Funny thing is that me in a suit usually means Y travel, and scruffy means premium cabin.
LTN Phobia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.