Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2018, 4:31 pm

Aren’t F passengers allowed to board first?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Yes, but along with anyone else in group 1.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Flying this afternoon and had 2 emails from BA already this morning. 1 inviting us to check hand baggage for free and one saying full flight please talk to check in staff if you can be flexible on travel times( I imagine BA code for oversold). I anticipate witnessing at least one DYKWIA later today
Old Jul 8, 2018, 1:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
Flying this afternoon and had 2 emails from BA already this morning. 1 inviting us to check hand baggage for free and one saying full flight please talk to check in staff if you can be flexible on travel times( I imagine BA code for oversold). I anticipate witnessing at least one DYKWIA later today
The check in your hand luggage is a fairly common email, and wouldn’t worry about that one. Not had one about being flexible with travel plans. Is this on a route with numerous devices each day? If so, they may well try to move people to earlier/later flights at check in if necessary.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
LGW-SVQ & yes I think there's several flights a day. I'm not actually worried as flying CE and have booked seats so I wont be rushing to the gate madly i'll simply enjoy the lounge and saunter down. Still have my guaranteed cabin baggage label on my go bag / carry on so i'll just leave that on . More looking forward to the possibility of a DYKWIA
Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
LGW-SVQ & yes I think there's several flights a day. I'm not actually worried as flying CE and have booked seats so I wont be rushing to the gate madly i'll simply enjoy the lounge and saunter down. Still have my guaranteed cabin baggage label on my go bag / carry on so i'll just leave that on . More looking forward to the possibility of a DYKWIA
So if you get to the gate and they "sorry you've been bumped from your nice Club Europe seat" what are you going to say? DYKWIA
Old Jul 8, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by woodey
So if you get to the gate and they "sorry you've been bumped from your nice Club Europe seat" what are you going to say? DYKWIA
“Finally you have replaced those cramped CE seats”?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:55 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by Greenpen
I don’t think jumping a toilet queue is necessarily a DY..... moment.
Agreed...

I went through a number of years of needing to do this.

Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
"Oh, you must REALLY be in a rush to get to the loo!"
A few years ago I witnessed a Captain ask a passenger if he could jump the queue for the forward loo. Said passenger started a rant about how long he had been waiting and told the Captain to go to the back of the queue. The Captain quickly disappeared into the flight deck and reappeared with 2 bits of string which he gave to the ranting passenger, saying, would you mind flying the aircraft whilst I am waiting in the queue for the toilet.

Guess who went in next?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by rapidex
The Captain quickly disappeared into the flight deck and reappeared with 2 bits of string which he gave to the ranting passenger, saying, would you mind flying the aircraft whilst I am waiting in the queue for the toilet.
While I would of course have said he can jump the queue so the situation wouldn't have arisen in the first place but I'd have said "yes, of course" with a smile, just to see his reaction if I had got that far...
flygirl68 and rapidex like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
While I would of course have said he can jump the queue so the situation wouldn't have arisen in the first place but I'd have said "yes, of course" with a smile, just to see his reaction if I had got that far...
I suspect that the captain may have applied some Emotional Intelligence (is that's what we're supposed to call it these days?) - perhaps he (correctly) worked out that a passenger who was ranting that much would not have re-discovered a sense of humour in 30 seconds.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by rapidex
A few years ago I witnessed a Captain ask a passenger if he could jump the queue for the forward loo. Said passenger started a rant about how long he had been waiting and told the Captain to go to the back of the queue. The Captain quickly disappeared into the flight deck and reappeared with 2 bits of string which he gave to the ranting passenger, saying, would you mind flying the aircraft whilst I am waiting in the queue for the toilet.

Guess who went in next?
Always travelling with some pieces of string. Do I need to alert the CSD/CSM/Purser about this, to be ready for Flight Deck service?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:28 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
deleted

Last edited by DeathSlam; Jul 9, 2018 at 11:29 am Reason: wrong thread
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
QR lounge in T4 last evening waiting patiently for QR16, I was sitting within sight of the entrance when I heard a man's raised voice so looked up. Someone who I can only describe as a Mr Gammon together with twenty something year old son was creating a rumpus and was demanding access to the lounge waving his gold card. The two staff members explained very patiently and quietly that the lounge is reserved to first and business class customers and that status cards don't grant access. Mr Gammon went ever more red as he told them they were wrong, did not know what they were talking about and that he knew as a BA gold member he could access any lounge and it didn't matter which class he was traveling in.

Staff again explained that he could access the MH lounge or the SkyTeam lounge but that the QR lounge was reserved to first and business passengers. Mr Gammon was having none of it gold card still waving and demanding the presence of someone who knew the rules as these two people didn't. Supervisor duly attended, listened to one round, reiterated the access rules, Mr Gammon argued and supervisor replied that if he was so discontent then she could arrange to offload him from his flight and return him landside and if that wasn't what he wanted he should leave the lounge immediately. Mr Gammon was by now scarlet, son not much better but saying he would be taking the matter 'further, much further, much, much further' he left the lounge.

I was in 11A - favourite seat (Qsuite) on the A35K with champagne in hand when Mr Gammon and son boarded somewhat late in the piece complete with BA gold tags on hand luggage, there was a queue stretching back from Y and he paused by my seat. I looked up, smiled, wished him good evening and sang the praises of QR and how marvellous the service was unable to resist adding that I had been relaxing and had dinner in the lounge and was now ready for sleep to which he grunted and all the more as he was eased to one side as a crew member brought me a cold towel and pjs.

I hope economy class lived up to his expectations. I did wonder if he was in transit at DOH and would have the same row all over again about the lounges there but fortunately never caught sight of him again.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: LH SEN (*G), BA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lhrpete
QR lounge in T4 last evening waiting patiently for QR16, I was sitting within sight of the entrance when I heard a man's raised voice so looked up. Someone who I can only describe as a Mr Gammon together with twenty something year old son was creating a rumpus and was demanding access to the lounge waving his gold card. The two staff members explained very patiently and quietly that the lounge is reserved to first and business class customers and that status cards don't grant access. Mr Gammon went ever more red as he told them they were wrong, did not know what they were talking about and that he knew as a BA gold member he could access any lounge and it didn't matter which class he was traveling in.

Staff again explained that he could access the MH lounge or the SkyTeam lounge but that the QR lounge was reserved to first and business passengers. Mr Gammon was having none of it gold card still waving and demanding the presence of someone who knew the rules as these two people didn't. Supervisor duly attended, listened to one round, reiterated the access rules, Mr Gammon argued and supervisor replied that if he was so discontent then she could arrange to offload him from his flight and return him landside and if that wasn't what he wanted he should leave the lounge immediately. Mr Gammon was by now scarlet, son not much better but saying he would be taking the matter 'further, much further, much, much further' he left the lounge.

I was in 11A - favourite seat (Qsuite) on the A35K with champagne in hand when Mr Gammon and son boarded somewhat late in the piece complete with BA gold tags on hand luggage, there was a queue stretching back from Y and he paused by my seat. I looked up, smiled, wished him good evening and sang the praises of QR and how marvellous the service was unable to resist adding that I had been relaxing and had dinner in the lounge and was now ready for sleep to which he grunted and all the more as he was eased to one side as a crew member brought me a cold towel and pjs.

I hope economy class lived up to his expectations. I did wonder if he was in transit at DOH and would have the same row all over again about the lounges there but fortunately never caught sight of him again.
So only because the passenger in question didn’t understand the - to be fair - relatively confusing access rules with QR he is considered a DYKWIA? Frankly, reading the above it sounds like you were the far greater DYKWIA in this scenario...
IAN-UK and mpkz like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.