Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by UTFB
ALG>LGW in CE a few weeks ago. I was in 1A, and went to place my cabin bag in OH locker (obviously couldn’t put it under seat in front of me). Locker above my seat already full, not a problem, so went to place it above 3D as it appeared empty. As I did so the passenger in 3F shot up, loudly informing me that “my bag is in there! I have a laptop in there! You can’t use it!”. His very small laptop rucksack was indeed in there, and not visible unless I stood taller and leaned in. I said I had a laptop in my bag too, I can’t see what the issue is if our bags are touching. He was getting more and more agitated, I explained that the locker isn’t solely for his personal use and that I will be placing my bag in there next to his whether he liked it or not. He then proceeded to remove his own bag and put it under his seat whilst huffing and puffing. Bizarre.
Last summer, coming back from the States we had a bit of a tight connection and were almost last to board our flight up to EDI. Sitting in 3A/C I opened the locker and went to put my bag in it.

The “gentleman” in 2D leapt up and yelled at me “my hat’s in there”. I looked in and indeed the sole item in locker was a large stetson. He then yelled “my hat! My hat! You can’t put your bag in with my hat”. My partner, who takes no nonsense from anyone - especially after a 10 hour TATL, lobbed her bag in and said “we’ll well, it looks like we can”.

I then put my bag in and as I went to close the locker the now very angry man grabbed his hat, told us we had no respect and placed said hat on his head, where it stayed for the entire flight. It can’t have been remotely comfortable but I guess he felt he had a point to make. Just plain odd.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:54 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
On AA, the lockers in F are marked with the seat number beneath it.

Now, one view is that it's to help passengers locate their seat, but the other angle, is that it is the personal space for the seat number printed.

The space above my seat was full, so I placed my items above 1F - only to be lambasted by 1F when she arrived!

Fortunately the crew resolved the issue, but I could see her side of the argument!

M
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ UTFB - good to see you didn’t take any nonsense from Mr Angry Laptop ^

That said, I think this sort of attitude is much more common in the snooty CE ‘cabin’ (or should that be curtain zone ?), than it is down the back of the bus. You should join us there ..... we’re all very easy-going in ET, and it’s more of an egalitarian society vibe. Oh and do be sure to order the exit row, as they say on TR restaurant reviews .....
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Seat numbers on lockers are there to indicate the seats, overhead lockers are not reserved for any seat.
msm2000uk and holloway1000 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Air is not a liquid.
what was the temperature ?
Frequent flyer 101 and DMPHL like this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by BobServant

Last summer, coming back from the States we had a bit of a tight connection and were almost last to board our flight up to EDI. Sitting in 3A/C I opened the locker and went to put my bag in it.

The “gentleman” in 2D leapt up and yelled at me “my hat’s in there”. I looked in and indeed the sole item in locker was a large stetson. He then yelled “my hat! My hat! You can’t put your bag in with my hat”. My partner, who takes no nonsense from anyone - especially after a 10 hour TATL, lobbed her bag in and said “we’ll well, it looks like we can”.

I then put my bag in and as I went to close the locker the now very angry man grabbed his hat, told us we had no respect and placed said hat on his head, where it stayed for the entire flight. It can’t have been remotely comfortable but I guess he felt he had a point to make. Just plain odd.
Love this story I'm still laughing as I type, thanks for sharing

DMF
BobServant likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DeadManFlying
Love this story I'm still laughing as I type, thanks for sharing

DMF
No problem. I forgot to add that the man - who bore a striking resemblance to the Looney Toons character Yosemite Sam - then spent the flight sitting with his neck cricked to avoid crushing his Stetson against the headrest.

Apologies for lack of speech marks - I typed them but I think the forum software has removed them.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by subject2load
That said, I think this sort of attitude is much more common in the snooty CE ‘cabin’ (or should that be curtain zone ?), than it is down the back of the bus.
Seats 1A and 1C in CE dont have any space above them of course and that often means they put their bags above 1D and 1F . The situation is often further compromised with staff bags already in situ and its often like the start of a Grand Prix with all four "front rowers" haring off to get around the first corner in prime position and to claim victory.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi

what was the temperature ?
Very clever.
BadgerBoi likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:30 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Seats 1A and 1C in CE dont have any space above them of course and that often means they put their bags above 1D and 1F . The situation is often further compromised with staff bags already in situ and its often like the start of a Grand Prix with all four "front rowers" haring off to get around the first corner in prime position and to claim victory.
I noticed that on one of my two flights to VIE last week. It was complicated by a dump and runner who put his carry on above 2 - it was also to big to put in wheels first - he was sat in row 8. Row 1 customer comes and looks for somewhere to put his luggage. Crew tells 1A to put his luggage in row 5, instead of moving dump and runner's bag which the CSM had seen being dumped. The fact that she had her case above 1D/F niggled me a bit. Why didn't she move her luggage to row 5 so the row 1 customer could put her bag there. I did say to her that the behaviour of putting crew bags above row 1 was what stopped me choosing row 1.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
...................... I did say to her that the behaviour of putting crew bags above row 1 was what stopped me choosing row 1.
Any particular response / reaction from the CSM to your (understandable) remark ?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I noticed that on one of my two flights to VIE last week. It was complicated by a dump and runner who put his carry on above 2 - it was also to big to put in wheels first - he was sat in row 8. Row 1 customer comes and looks for somewhere to put his luggage. Crew tells 1A to put his luggage in row 5, instead of moving dump and runner's bag which the CSM had seen being dumped. The fact that she had her case above 1D/F niggled me a bit. Why didn't she move her luggage to row 5 so the row 1 customer could put her bag there. I did say to her that the behaviour of putting crew bags above row 1 was what stopped me choosing row 1.
I don't know whether it's true or I've been fed porkies, but I was told by a Cabin Crew (Mixed Fleet? Euro Fleet? who knows!) that they're not allowed to check-in bags for short-haul flights, but must have a 'night-stop kit'... Somebody in the know will surely confirm or deny.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Correct, EF and MF crew cannot check in bags on short haul services.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
But they don’t have to put it above Row 1 ��
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Correct, EF and MF crew cannot check in bags on short haul services.
Thanks CIHY!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.