Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I've done this before when someone is having a conference call without headphones. Sat down with my daughter who at that time would have been 5. Guy is shouting into a laptop and multiple voices are shouting back.

"Hey sweetie. Bet you don't know all the words to Let It Go..."
"Yes I do, watch... *deep breath*"
"I'm going to get some water, I need to hear you from over there."

The guy moved his call shortly after.
I had this a couple of years back in the AA lounge at LAX. a very loud American guy seemed to want everyone to know about this deal he pulled off. I would have thought being Americans someone in the lounge would have gone over and told him to turn it down. So, I sat two seats from the guy, and got my Dictaphone out, (Yes some of us still use these things), switched it on, recorded him for a couple of minutes, downloaded it to my laptop, then with the laptop volume at 100% played back his conversation. Got a ... look from the guy, and gestured to him my spare cheapo in-ear headphones. So, he gets his own one's out (looked like Bose), puts them on but what was worse was he was still talking loudly (I think even by Americans standard). So, I turned the Dictaphone back on again and I still have the WMA file stored on an old laptop. Maybe I should upload it?
ML
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Mountlodge
I had this a couple of years back in the AA lounge at LAX. a very loud American guy seemed to want everyone to know about this deal he pulled off. I would have thought being Americans someone in the lounge would have gone over and told him to turn it down. So, I sat two seats from the guy, and got my Dictaphone out, (Yes some of us still use these things), switched it on, recorded him for a couple of minutes, downloaded it to my laptop, then with the laptop volume at 100% played back his conversation...
ML
What's up with the passive aggressiveness? What happened to telling someone directly to be quiet!?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Originally Posted by WorldLux
What's up with the passive aggressiveness? What happened to telling someone directly to be quiet!?
Evidence-based intervention.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
Had a couple complain to crew on Comair yesterday that they thought they were the only ones in club and I should go elsewhere. Rather ironically they were surrounded by self-upgraders during landing who were wanting to take pics...
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
I had this a couple of years back in the AA lounge at LAX. a very loud American guy seemed to want everyone to know about this deal he pulled off. I would have thought being Americans someone in the lounge would have gone over and told him to turn it down. So, I sat two seats from the guy, and got my Dictaphone out, (Yes some of us still use these things), switched it on, recorded him for a couple of minutes, downloaded it to my laptop, then with the laptop volume at 100% played back his conversation. Got a ... look from the guy, and gestured to him my spare cheapo in-ear headphones. So, he gets his own one's out (looked like Bose), puts them on but what was worse was he was still talking loudly (I think even by Americans standard). So, I turned the Dictaphone back on again and I still have the WMA file stored on an old laptop. Maybe I should upload it?
ML
It's even better when they're doing a credit card transaction - reading out aloud the #, expiry, cvv, address, etc.... could have really ruined their day.
SJCPremier likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:25 am

ML
What does AMERICAN have to do with it???? Prejudicial.

hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by carrington1

more like evidential....
RoyalSwazi, T8191 and etiene like this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:46 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by LCY8737

Emphasising that one usually travels First, but due to unfortunate circumstances (such as there is no F) one is forced to rub shoulders with the great unwashed. Very DYKWIA in my book...
That's rather overthinking it in a way that only a FTer could. In my book someone is only being DYKWIA when they have the attitude of a DYKWIA. When I wear the pyjamas I don't take on that attitude. I just want to be comfortable. If BA supplied pyjamas to Club passengers the way many airlines do their J passengers, I'd use them. They don't so I'll use what I have in hand be they QF J, QR J or BA F pyjamas. I won't be lording it over anyone. I know my place in the same sense that Ronnie Corbett knew his place in that famous sketch with Messers Barker and Cleese.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carrington1

It'sa stereotypical trait assigned to Americans, like bad teeth and the habit of not washing hands after using the are stereotypical traits assigned to Britons.
HilFly likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by WorldLux
When exactly did passive aggressiveness become a “thing”?
In my day you just sulked or took revenge. Simple.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:38 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother

When exactly did passive aggressiveness become a “thing”?
In my day you just sulked or took revenge. Simple.
Hahahahaha, rather like Jr Tobias!
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
ML
Just sit next to the person and start taking notes and ask them to repeat something as you missed it
deboyzoned likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Well that's much the way of this forum. The Qatar one is even more focussed on premium travel: the couple of hundred seats behind the curtain must be an embarrassment ....

Hang on a moment, what's that you're saying, there are seats BEHIND the curtain...?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
Hang on a moment, what's that you're saying, there are seats BEHIND the curtain...?
Yeap, a few hundred seats are needed there to counter balance the dozen or so up front - to get the aircraft into a nose-up attitude, otherwise it would never take off!
deboyzoned likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by thebigben
I just recalled something from last week I wanted to post but forgot about.

Arrivals at LCY, I was in 1C so I'm first off the plane, get into immigration, remember that passport is going to be faster than IDs, so I move over to the side, get my passport from my bag, and make it to the scanners, being roughly the tenth person in the queue.

The E-Gate doesn't work for me (it never does in the UK... somehow), agent tells me to go right (over to the regular desks). This is where the fun begins. One lady ahead of me also is in the same situation, as her passport didn't work either. If you've been to LCY, you know that there's no separate desks to catch failed automated passport checks, so you just go over in front of the queue that is standing in line for ID / Non-EU passports.

We let a family with small children first, because who cares about being first or second or third in line, and I guess the lady in front of me wasn't in a hurry. But suddenly, an American mom, traveling with her teenage son, who apparently thinks she runs the airport now, says: "You need to queue. We have children. You need to get at the back of the queue". The lady in front of me replies "The airport person told us to just go there because our passports didn't work". The American mom rambles and repeats herself. At which point I say: "If you just asked politely we'd let you go first. Since you haven't, we'll just go first." I watch to the side to see what the "children" she was talking about were, and I see her teenage son giving me the "Please don't hate me, I didn't choose my mom" look.

Sadly the lady whose passport didn't work wasn't on the ball like I did, and let them go first. Not that they took any chance, they bolted very quickly towards the first available desk. She then took the second available desk and I took the third, still making it out of the airport before the American mom, only half satisfied. I would've high-fived that lady if she managed to get the desk before them.
Hmm. American mom says queue? Hmmm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.