Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Won't state the airport - but Gent standing right at the front of the Group 1 line with 20 mins to go to boarding, making sure he said hello to the GAs as they arrived, looking around in what I perceived as a self-important way.
First to board, again being very vocal with the GAs.
I'm having a mental block... what's a GA?

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Second one - gent boards a shorthaul back to LHR last week. Drops his bag into a CE overhead and, when CC call after him, he shouts "I'm a Gold Card Holder" and carries on to quite far back on the plane. The CC decide not to pursue it. When we land at LHR, there's a problem with the airbridge and we have to de-plane from the rear door onto buses. Mr GCH is stuck in his seat waiting for the flight to empty so he can recover his carryon. I enjoyed that
That is hilarious
lupine and T8191 like this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Lucanesque
Gate Attendant is what I thought.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Gate staff (Attendant)
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Gate Attendant is what I thought.
Originally Posted by Diver Boy
Gate staff (Attendant)
Aha.. thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Virgin Flying Club Red; IHG Spire
Smile

A tongue-in-cheek observation on some members of this esteemed forum based on yesterdays business breakfast with Alex Cruz, where I witnessed two severe cases of DYKWIA, both from flyer talkers...

msm2000uk managed to tell over 100 people that he was one of 450 CCR card holders, a card most of the room didn't know about. He also told everyone that he 'doesn't do buses...'. We all came away definitely knowing exactly who he was!

Another person began their question by telling the room they'd just got off a flight in First from Vancouver and obviously made it well known they were gold.

You would have thought that BA only had a first class cabin as economy wasn't mentioned even once!

Quite amazing to see how when in the real world away from an airport / aircraft, these guys felt the need to tell everyone their airline status. Given all the seats in the room were the same, I wonder how they managed to sit the same as people without any airline status!
IAN-UK, Fraser, NoY and 11 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Diver Boy
Gate staff (Attendant)
I’m sure it was “Ground Agent” when I had a horizontal relationship with one a good few decades ago ... how things have changed in the 21st Century.
aidy likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Originally Posted by T8191
I’m sure it was “Ground Agent” when I had a horizontal relationship with one a good few decades ago ... how things have changed in the 21st Century.
I'm sure that then they actually had a lot more power to do things than they do now. I save Ground Agent for those else where that solve problems.

Well that's my excuse for not thinking of that and not that I had just spent a long day working on site in the sun (Still mid 30's here waiting impatiently for the dry season).
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
I finished working in travel last year and the term was ground agent then
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I may know who you are on about here...
northern European airport?? Wasn’t you, was it?!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
In the US it stands for Gate Agent, i.e. the people behind the desk at the gate who deal with the immediate pre-departure minutiae, finish up the manifest, hand it over to the air crew, and close the door. As subsequent posts suggest the UK translation may be variable.
wrp96 and Lucanesque like this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:29 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by hb133
A tongue-in-cheek observation on some members of this esteemed forum based on yesterdays business breakfast with Alex Cruz, where I witnessed two severe cases of DYKWIA, both from flyer talkers...

msm2000uk managed to tell over 100 people that he was one of 450 CCR card holders, a card most of the room didn't know about. He also told everyone that he 'doesn't do buses...'. We all came away definitely knowing exactly who he was!

Another person began their question by telling the room they'd just got off a flight in First from Vancouver and obviously made it well known they were gold.

You would have thought that BA only had a first class cabin as economy wasn't mentioned even once!

Quite amazing to see how when in the real world away from an airport / aircraft, these guys felt the need to tell everyone their airline status. Given all the seats in the room were the same, I wonder how they managed to sit the same as people without any airline status!
Hahaha!

To be fair, HP started the event by saying he was Gold For Life in his opening sentence...so he set the tone!

At least I didn't ask AC to eradicate turbulence

M
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
At least I didn't ask AC to eradicate turbulence
Please tell me someone didn't actually ask him that?!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by aidy
I finished working in travel last year and the term was ground agent then
Thanks! I’m glad I called her the right thing ... at the right moment.
aidy likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Thanks! I’m glad I called her the right thing ... at the right moment.
We can all be grateful for those small mercies* ... whichever side of the relationship you are on !!

* definitely a DYKWIA moment
Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
LGW to BCN on Monday this week, flying visit to the First lounge for a quick bite to eat. The four tables in the main food area were taken so I ventured into the far area and plonked my stuff down only to notice two tables along a chap doing the conference call on speaker phone trick. Now this was on full whack to boot, for some reason I didn't tell him to close it down; I don't know why I am not a shrinking violet but I just felt I missed the moment. I ordered some food and by the time it arrived I'd had enough of this chap so I gathered my fear and the waiter kindly brought my food out to the main lounge area where I ate it off my lap. I could still here this guy through two sections in the meantime!

some time afterwards began another din, someone in the food area start singing at full voice in an almost operatic fashion the song Strangers in the Night to the extent that people where going through to see what was happening as if it maybe was a celebrity.

Now whilst it did go on a bit at least it random enough to be novel but the best bit for me was conference call man came scuttling out of the food area entrance past me looking quite perturbed that his open call was being disturbed, oh the joyous irony was not lost in me. He then went to prowl up and down the far window for five minutes.

i then got up to leave and paused against a unit by the exit to adjust some of my stuff and I hate to admit it but when conference boy walked behind me I was a nanosecond from sticking my leg backwards to trip him up. I am a bad man...
smokie36 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.