Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by V10
... underlines the importance of attentiveness and communication from the crew, both of which appear to have been unsurprisingly absent on the part of Ryanair.
MoL wants them to sell food, drinks and duty-free. Can't have passengers interfere with that.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by V10
Regarding that particular story - someone on the same flight has since suggested that the passenger in question was asthmatic and having breathing difficulties. Possibly more a case of "don't you know what I am" - and it certainly underlines the importance of attentiveness and communication from the crew, both of which appear to have been unsurprisingly absent on the part of Ryanair.
now turns out that the man in question is homeless, used to live in a hostel in Malaga, but hasn’t been there for a year..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018...less-unlikely/
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
Wonderful toys out of the pram moment in the T5 Flounge just now. Gentleman complaining very loudly at the CS counter about the selection of newspapers available on a Sunday afternoon. "Just the Sun? Why do you even bother? This isn't an airline, it's a joke". He nearly started crying. I've seen people less upset about losing a parent.

Fate probably decrees I'll be sitting next to him for the next 7 hours......
T8191, Paren and Cotumely like this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Ned1968
Wonderful toys out of the pram moment in the T5 Flounge just now. Gentleman complaining very loudly at the CS counter about the selection of newspapers available on a Sunday afternoon. "Just the Sun? Why do you even bother? This isn't an airline, it's a joke". He nearly started crying. I've seen people less upset about losing a parent.

Fate probably decrees I'll be sitting next to him for the next 7 hours......
I had some goon on a JFK-LHR last week blabbering on to the CC about availability of the The Economist - "this is business class, you should have the Economist", "even when I fly First you don't have the Economist". This was on the upperdeck, so needless to say the whole cabin shared his ramblings.

Even the CC knew he was an idiot.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
my thoughts are if you want to read something buy it...
John
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by rossmacd
I had some goon on a JFK-LHR last week blabbering on to the CC about availability of the The Economist - "this is business class, you should have the Economist", "even when I fly First you don't have the Economist". This was on the upperdeck, so needless to say the whole cabin shared his ramblings.

Idiot or not they are right.
orbitmic, markle, Bobbex and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

Even idiots can be right. The Economist should be available on board. Perhaps the Economist Group wants paying for its magazine
orbitmic and markle like this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Worcester

Idiot or not they are right.
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Even idiots can be right. The Economist should be available on board. Perhaps the Economist Group wants paying for its magazine
I have nothing against the Economist, but in this day and age I prefer all things digital. Anyway, there is a way to go about these things, and this passenger certainly made a bit of a fool of himself, even if he was right about loading the aforementioned publication or not.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Without wanting to sound like a DYKWIA pedant (which I am about to), The Economist is a newspaper, not a magazine!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mapman

Without wanting to sound like a DYKWIA pedant (which I am about to), The Economist is a newspaper, not a magazine!
Can we settle on a newspaper in magazine format ?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have nothing against the Economist, but in this day and age I prefer all things digital. Anyway, there is a way to go about these things, and this passenger certainly made a bit of a fool of himself, even if he was right about loading the aforementioned publication or not.

I'm sure you are correct! Sorry for appearing to be a smart arse

It just wasn't clear from my reading of your original post if you thought the chap an idiot for expecting the Economist on board.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
On the fence somewhat with this one. Is The Economist a regular feature on all airlines? Are BA the only ones not providing it? (Genuine question).

I mean, I'd quite a copy of Viz or Reader's Wives, but as someone above posted; buy it yourself if you're that keen to read it.
m3red likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
On the fence somewhat with this one. Is The Economist a regular feature on all airlines? Are BA the only ones not providing it? (Genuine question).

I mean, I'd quite a copy of Viz or Reader's Wives, but as someone above posted; buy it yourself if you're that keen to read it.
I've certainly seen The Economist on CX, not sure about others. Either way, one has to pay for decent journalism and I doubt BA wants to cough up for it.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I have nothing against the Economist, but in this day and age I prefer all things digital.
For what it's worth, I don't. I already spend far too much time with my eyes focusing on screens, so I much prefer to read my newspapers and magazines ( ) on paper. Incidentally, BA used to stock the Economist in the CCR and F lounge but this has disappeared a while ago. I'd read it regularly but miss this much less than the Conde Nast Traveller.
NickB and HarbourGent like this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
It's the excellent Financial Times newspaper on BA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.