Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by ratypus
Yup, but if you want the window seat you can either pay for it or reserve it for free through status...I get too many of the "innocent" requests from BA ground staff to swap seats with other passengers who should simply have paid for them...most recently, being asked to switch out of 64K on the Upper Deck 747 (best seat in the house...) for a random aisle downstairs because "two passengers want to sit together". Sorry, not my problem and if they were that fussed they could have paid for the seats they wanted....
My two experiences of being asked to move from 64A or 64K, which the crew are generally quite aware are the best seats, have resulted in my new seat being in F.
LCSinTexas and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
My two experiences of being asked to move from 64A or 64K, which the crew are generally quite aware are the best seats, have resulted in my new seat being in F.
For those of us who don't know one aircraft from another, and haven't memorised seat maps, how do we subtly determine whether the seat we're being asked to move to is in First Class? I have two flights coming up in 64K and would like to be prepared.

Perhaps "I appreciate these passengers' desire to sit together, but am a little reluctant to move... is my new seat better than this one?"
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Misco60
For those of us who don't know one aircraft from another, and haven't memorised seat maps, how do we subtly determine whether the seat we're being asked to move to is in First Class? I have two flights coming up in 64K and would like to be prepared.

Perhaps "I appreciate these passengers' desire to sit together, but am a little reluctant to move... is my new seat better than this one?"
That's polite enough. Though generally from the crew's tone and language I can work it out. Usually along the lines of "Mr W, we have a passenger who would really appreciate a window seat. Would you be willing to change to a very comfortable aisle seat downstairs?"

That said, this particular situations has happened to me twice, out of probably 50 UD flights.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
That's polite enough. Though generally from the crew's tone and language I can work it out. Usually along the lines of "Mr W, we have a passenger who would really appreciate a window seat. Would you be willing to change to a very comfortable aisle seat downstairs?"

That said, this particular situations has happened to me twice, out of probably 50 UD flights.
I realise we're wandering off topic - but a couple of years (and many many flights) ago I could see the crew were having a nightmare of people who were insisting on being sat together in club. It was a 777 and I was in row 12 or 13 at a window. There were 2-3 families all trying to re-arrange themselves.

I quietly motioned to a crew member and said I would be happy to move as I was on my own and just to let me know if I could help but that I'd prefer not to move to a middle pair. I figured it was better to move than to let the crew spend too much time rearranging people and delaying departure.

After 5 minutes - same crew member came up and said "Mr MPH1980 - thank you for your offer - would you mind moving for me?". I simply said "yes" - I had no preconceptions about where I was moving to. As I was led away - the crew member said "I've found you a seat in the first row - it's a nice seat". This raised my hopes. Sadly - the crew member meant a aisle seat in the first row of club.

Somethings are not meant to be.
adrianlondon, T8191, Cymro and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:25 am

To be fair, on that last occasion the ground staff did try to call down to the gate to get me moved into F, but F was already totally full.

Back on topic...I have not yet flown in 2018 to have any DYKWIA behaviour to report...I will happily conclude with my late December "reverse DYKWIA" at Amsterdam, gate staff calling for Club & Gold when the lady in front of me catches sight of the yellow boarding pass on my phone and tries to jump out of the way on the basis 'but you're Gold and they might not let me through' - to which I could only insist she went ahead since I doubted the gate staff were being all that strict (they were not) and we would all arrive in London at the exact same time (which of course we did!).
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:52 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
I remember my brother-in-law being irritable because he wanted the window seat on an EZY flight. I relinquished my 'window' seat, which turned out to be one of those seats that have the wall not the window. I got daggers when I asked him if he was enjoying the view...
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by seaskybound
That is allowed. it is the POOing that is frowned upon, did you not get the memo?
Don’t you know that its wrong to flush the toilets whilst the plane is at the station?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Misco60

I prefer the direct approach and ask for the row number, if it is less than or equal to 5 you are a winner.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
When I travel with my partner, I have to have the window seat because she gets up to pee every 15 minutes!
that reminds me of Charlie- has to have the window, has to drink all H&M onboard, and then pees like a elderly-Home inhabitant every few minutes!
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ratypus
Yup, but if you want the window seat you can either pay for it or reserve it for free through status...I get too many of the "innocent" requests from BA ground staff to swap seats with other passengers who should simply have paid for them...most recently, being asked to switch out of 64K on the Upper Deck 747 (best seat in the house...) for a random aisle downstairs because "two passengers want to sit together". Sorry, not my problem and if they were that fussed they could have paid for the seats they wanted....
That's exactly my attitude. The worst is when you fly first in the USA, where 95% of the cabin are op-up's then pester you to swap so they can sit together. Erm, no, I've paid to sit in this cabin, if you wanted to sit together, stay in Y.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by CKBA
Don't dis the window seats - and the view; it's never pitch black out there at 40,000'! Nothing better than gliding over the land areas and working out where all those lights are, or looking at the intricacies of the roads in New York, etc at night... .
I've said it before, I'll say it again: when you have window seat at night don't look down, look up. It doesn't quite compare to lying back on a mountain top at midnight,, but you'll rarely see a better display of the stars...
wrp96, jerry305, mike&co and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I do know the arrested man’s name but I didn’t see the incident in question. Tonight’s BA427 AMS-LHR was held at the gate after landing while a passenger was detained for threatening and/or drunken behaviour.

I was asleep though. No word if anyone did a pop,
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Waiting too long to get off? - just open the exit door! :o)

Just saw this. Not BA but Ryanair and apparently the passenger just didn't want to wait to get off! Here is some context to the story.

An impatient passenger forced his way out of the emergency exit of a Ryanair plane after he became fed up of waiting to alight. The man, a 57-year-old Polish national, was left perching on the wing of flight FR8164 as it sat on the tarmac at Malaga airport.He took his hand luggage with him, but was eventually talked into getting back inside the plane by ground staff worried he was going to jump off the wing.

The man, who was arrested by local police, had allegedly become frustrated when the plane was delayed by almost an hour leaving Stansted Airport on New Year's Day.

Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: too many
Probably misunderstood when his friend said he wanted him to be his wingman :-)
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:58 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Regarding that particular story - someone on the same flight has since suggested that the passenger in question was asthmatic and having breathing difficulties. Possibly more a case of "don't you know what I am" - and it certainly underlines the importance of attentiveness and communication from the crew, both of which appear to have been unsurprisingly absent on the part of Ryanair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.