Last edit by: Tobias-UK
Print Wikipost

Premium Fare Deals | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by bmflex
Thank you for the clarification, although I'm curious why the fare rules state that stops are permissable for 200usd a piece?
Fare rules often aren't written or even selected for specific fares, but applied en masse to huge families of fares in relation to which many of the conditions won't be effective.

"Permitting" non-DOH stopovers on a fare which is (through a routing restriction) limited to AMS-DOH-BKK would be one example. It's why looking only at the fare rules doesn't give you the whole picture.

Another situation which catches some people out is when the routing rules specify a maximum permitted mileage that can't be seen in the fare rules themselves.
Also, given the routing, would the basic AMS-DOH-BKK still yield 520TP?
The ba.com calculator should tell you. But on the face of it, I can't see why that wouldn't be 140 x 4 = 560 TPs.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar
Hi all, I need to visit HKG and SIN before my collection year ends on 8th Nov. I need 490TP so QR ex AMS seems the best bet.

There's a decent enough fare at 1900GBP from 23Oct to 30Oct from AMS-BKK. The fare rules state:

5 STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT
LIMITED TO 1 FREE AND 4 AT USD 200.00 EACH.

But i can't seem to get it to price up properly adding in a stop in HKG and SIN (comes out at 11k!) Is a kind soul able to help me out please??
I'm sure someone can assist with the fare you mention but below may be of interest.

ARN - PVG 1.3K, then buy another ticket on Cathay may be cheaper

https://www.google.com/flights?source=hsi#flt=aAMS,aOSL,aGOT,aARN,aFRA.BK K,PVG,KBV,HKT.2018-11-01.ARNHEL0AY808~HELPVG0AY87*BKK,PVG,KBV,HKT.aAMS,a OSL,aGOT,aARN,aFRA.2018-11-07.PVGHEL0AY88~HELARN0AY813;c:GBP;e:1;a:ONEWORLD*O NEWORLD;sc:b;sd:1;t:f;sp:.GBP.133505*.GBP.133505
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Newbtravelle
I'm sure someone can assist with the fare you mention but below may be of interest.

ARN - PVG 1.3K, then buy another ticket on Cathay may be cheaper

https://www.google.com/flights?sourc...05*.GBP.133505
Nice find and thank you! I still need to make 490TP though and with the QR route i earn 560TP right off the bat. This is a nice route though as i've never considered fying ex-ARG before.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Fare rules often aren't written or even selected for specific fares, but applied en masse to huge families of fares in relation to which many of the conditions won't be effective.

"Permitting" non-DOH stopovers on a fare which is (through a routing restriction) limited to AMS-DOH-BKK would be one example. It's why looking only at the fare rules doesn't give you the whole picture.

Another situation which catches some people out is when the routing rules specify a maximum permitted mileage that can't be seen in the fare rules themselves.The ba.com calculator should tell you. But on the face of it, I can't see why that wouldn't be 140 x 4 = 560 TPs.
Thank you for the info. I couldn't get the Avios flight calculator to load yesterday, but it's working fine today.

Out of curiosity, is there any way I can get my hands on the specific rules for this particular fare? Or is it rather a case of trial and error?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Out of curiosity, is there any way I can get my hands on the specific rules for this particular fare?
If you can price it on ITA, then you'll see the fare basis and the base fare amount. The links will give you the full fare rules.

If you then go to ExpertFlyer, you can pull up the fares listing for the route. If you can find the specific fare listed (cross-check the fare amount, remembering any GDS fee offset that may be necessary) then you should also be able to access routing information and booking class information from the two additional links.
bmflex likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Out of curiosity, is there any way I can get my hands on the specific rules for this particular fare? Or is it rather a case of trial and error?
ExpertFlyer or KVS

But, to be clear, rules are written for a family of fares (actually they are usually generated for a group of fares by an automated process), not a particular individual fare.

You have to take the intersection of:
Fundamental IATA rules of ticket construction (mostly defining concepts like minimum stay, but there are some arcane rules, like "not more than two connecting domestic flights within Germany per fare component" or the "tickets issued in Israel have a different calculation for the higher intermediate point")
Rules of the tariff
Rules of the fare family
Footnotes for the individual fare
Routing table
Booking class exceptions table
bmflex likes this.

Last edited by Calchas; Oct 14, 2018 at 7:12 am
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
If you can price it on ITA, then you'll see the fare basis and the base fare amount. The links will give you the full fare rules.

If you then go to ExpertFlyer, you can pull up the fares listing for the route. If you can find the specific fare listed (cross-check the fare amount, remembering any GDS fee offset that may be necessary) then you should also be able to access routing information and booking class information from the two additional links.
Many thanks Globaliser - i'd priced up on ITA Matrix before (that's where I was able to pull the quote from the fare rules regarding 200USD a stop) but wasn't aware of the ExpertFlyer cross check.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:23 pm

OK guys, i'd be immensely grateful if anyone can help me out here. I've spent the last few hours tweaking and playing with ITA / Google flights and i'm tearing my hair out...

I need to make 490TP before 8th Nov. Must stop in HKG and SIN (I have interviews) any other stops welcomed if needed to make the total. I'm based in ZRH but any ex-EU flight is fine. The best i can find is as follows:

QR : MXP - BKK, 2130 CHF (560TP, i'd have to pay for separate flights to SIN / HKG as this fare doesn't allow added stops)

CX: ZRH-HKG-BKK-SIN-HKG-ZRH 3086CHF (400TP - hits all the stops but falls short of the 490TP i need...)

I recall seeing a paid service to help book these sorts of complex routes, or perhaps that was just for reward bookings... Would anyone be willing to help me out to try and find a better option or add a couple more stops to the CX route to make the TP count?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:55 pm

Why not look at a Qatar open jaw into SIN and back from HKG (or vice versa). One example from MXP for CHF 2351:https://goo.gl/flights/f7Hxb

Then you’d just need a one-way SIN-HKG (could use Avios?)

That’s only a very quick look ex-MXP since you’d mentioned it, don’t know if other ex-EU starting points might be cheaper.
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Just found out that DME-LHR-HKG-NRT priced at ~1625 GBP with BA and Cathay on some dates. Seems like a good deal... I am tempted to book
alex67500 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by thebigben
Just found out that DME-LHR-HKG-NRT priced at ~1625 GBP with BA and Cathay on some dates. Seems like a good deal... I am tempted to book
Quite expensive to position to DME though?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by tomparskate
A few avios and £17.50

However the visa issue can be expensive
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
A few avios and £17.50

However the visa issue can be expensive
Yeah true! I'm still trying to get the EDI-DOH-PEN fare to work for me at £1,630 in J
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by tomparskate
WTP can be as low as 400 quid, which is also good if you need the TP. Otherwise, it's a few avios Visa is between 60-100 depending on your passport apparently. Ultimately depends if you'd enjoy a night in Moscow I think. I know I would.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by thebigben
Please can you provide a link? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.