Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tobias-UK
Print Wikipost

Premium Fare Deals | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:28 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I've found INV-LHR-ORD-PHL-YUL-LHR-INV for around £1300 which is decent.

However, I'd really like to add one extra leg to the trip without making the price jump massively.

Does anyone have any bright ideas?

M
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I don't think you'll be able to add another flight in the US, but you may be able to add another into Europe, and then connect onto AA, IB or Openskies across the pond.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I've found INV-LHR-ORD-PHL-YUL-LHR-INV for around £1300 which is decent.

However, I'd really like to add one extra leg to the trip without making the price jump massively.

Does anyone have any bright ideas?

M

ITA Matrix is your friend here.
Input your itinerary and price it up, then check the fare in the blue box, where you can see what the fare components are.
Then follow this sequence:
1. Check whether your trip is pricing as INV-ORD or INV-YUL and make a note of the fare basis (bases).
2. Read the fare rules, especially which airlines’ metal or marketed flights are allowed onTATL
3. In the sections on transfers and stopovers, note how many are allowed (and where).
4. If you have an EF account, check the routing table for allowed routings or Maximum Permitted Mileage (MPM)

Then put it all together and build the itinerary on Matrix with the desired transfers and stopovers, while keeping the lowest fare.

If you like, post your itinerary here, and I can give you a hand.

Happy flying

ttama likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: AA : BA
Smile

Originally Posted by rossmacd
And sorry to drag up this topic of conversation in an otherwise excellent thread - I have just reconfirmed that MAN security is indeed the hell pit of all civilisation. Got the customary "all liquids out or you'll be delayed 40 minutes" nonsense whilst dispensing belongings into the trays. Then, bag does in fact get pinged (having been through 5 airports in the last 9 days with the exact same contents without incident) and the abysmal organisation of getting the bags searched. I counted that over 67% of bags were being sent for human screening (why?!?!) in the time I was waiting. After my bag was pulled to pieces, I duly asked "Did you find anything?", the answer of course "No". Said agent wasn't very happy when I cheekily asked what the point of it was.
D
Thanks for posting - so it's not just me then. I presume this was T3?

Fortunately, now that AA have pulled their MAN-ORD service (apart from a very brief summer window) I no longer have to look forward to the delights of MAN security.

And don't apologise for going OT. This thread is routinely hijacked by the TP runners (who have their own thread elsewhere)
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:42 am

And sorry to drag up this topic of conversation in an otherwise excellent thread - I have just reconfirmed that MAN security is indeed the hell pit of all civilisation. Got the customary "all liquids out or you'll be delayed 40 minutes" nonsense whilst dispensing belongings into the trays. Then, bag does in fact get pinged (having been through 5 airports in the last 9 days with the exact same contents without incident) and the abysmal organisation of getting the bags searched. I counted that over 67% of bags were being sent for human screening (why?!?!) in the time I was waiting. After my bag was pulled to pieces, I duly asked "Did you find anything?", the answer of course "No". Said agent wasn't very happy when I cheekily asked what the point of it was.

Back to searching for the next best fare to help the TP runners.....
Perfect explanation of my experience!
Crampedin13A and rossmacd like this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Some great deals ex INV with BA Holidays.

CHICAGO
03 DECEMBER 2018 - 7 nights - Brrrrrr (!)
Hotel Felix. INV-J-LHR-F-ORD-F-LHR-J-INV.

GBP1902.00 pp

Same flights, but staying at the rather cool Virgin Hotel Chicago (Free Bar every day!!) GBP 1948.00 per person. That one is with Expedia as for some reason BA isn't listing the Virgin Hotel.
florens likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Originally Posted by Sealink
That one is with Expedia as for some reason BA isn't listing the Virgin Hotel.
I wonder why.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: BA GGL
LHR-SFO-PDX-SJC-LHR in F is £1900.

Lots of availability. 2hr connections in Alaska business. BA First on 747 out, 787 back.

I love Portland and would so do this... If I had the cash. Wah.

​​
Fruitcake and Calum like this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Diver Boy
I wonder why.
I know, right.

*signs into BA Wifi*

Virgin Media?!?!? 😍
Mountlodge and kwisstan like this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by ubiest

ITA Matrix is your friend here.
Input your itinerary and price it up, then check the fare in the blue box, where you can see what the fare components are.
Then follow this sequence:
1. Check whether your trip is pricing as INV-ORD or INV-YUL and make a note of the fare basis (bases).
2. Read the fare rules, especially which airlines’ metal or marketed flights are allowed onTATL
3. In the sections on transfers and stopovers, note how many are allowed (and where).
4. If you have an EF account, check the routing table for allowed routings or Maximum Permitted Mileage (MPM)

Then put it all together and build the itinerary on Matrix with the desired transfers and stopovers, while keeping the lowest fare.

If you like, post your itinerary here, and I can give you a hand.

Happy flying

Thanks ubiest

I'd put the fare together with ITA, which has given me on outbound fare basis of INN8I1S6 , and an inbound of INN8I1S6 - so evidently identical fares.

The Stopover and Transfer restrictions, are below, and if I'm honest, they've confused me!

Category 8: Stopover restrictionsORIGINATING UNITED KINGDOM - UNLIMITED STOPOVERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION AT GBP 300.00 EACH.Category 9: Transfer restrictions2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION FREE 2 FREE ON AA/AB/AY/BA/HG/IB ONLY IN EUROPE IN EACH DIRECTION. AND - 2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION FREE 1 FREE BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND B6 IN BOS/JFK IN EACH DIRECTION 1 FREE BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND AS IN LAX/PDX/SEA IN EACH DIRECTION 1 FREE BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND WS IN CANADA IN EACH DIRECTION 1 FREE BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND HA IN HAWAII IN EACH DIRECTION 2 FREE ON AA/BA/IB ONLY IN THE UNITED STATES/ CANADA IN EACH DIRECTION FARE BREAK SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED AND EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS PERMITTED ON THE FARE COMPONENT.

I've screenshotted the fare below, and wonder if you can eek another few TPs out of it!

Many thanks in advance!

M

Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks ubiest

I'd put the fare together with ITA, which has given me on outbound fare basis of INN8I1S6 , and an inbound of INN8I1S6 - so evidently identical fares.

The Stopover and Transfer restrictions, are below, and if I'm honest, they've confused me!

Category 8: Stopover restrictionsORIGINATING
UNITED KINGDOM - UNLIMITED STOPOVERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION AT GBP 300.00 EACH.Category 9: Transfer restrictions2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION FREE 2 FREE ON AA/AB/AY/BA/HG/IB ONLY IN EUROPE IN EACH DIRECTION. AND - 2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION FREE 1 FREE BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND B6 IN BOS/JFK IN EACH DIRECTION 1 FREE BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND AS IN LAX/PDX/SEA IN EACH DIRECTION 1 FREE BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND WS IN CANADA IN EACH DIRECTION 1 FREE BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND HA IN HAWAII IN EACH DIRECTION 2 FREE ON AA/BA/IB ONLY IN THE UNITED STATES/ CANADA IN EACH DIRECTION FARE BREAK SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED AND EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS PERMITTED ON THE FARE COMPONENT.

I've screenshotted the fare below, and wonder if you can eek another few TPs out of it!

Many thanks in advance!

M

You could do the TATL in First for a bit more money and a few more TPs!
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by ringingup

You could do the TATL in First for a bit more money and a few more TPs!
I'd likely have to switch the return destination though, as the YUL-LHR is on a 787-8, so no F.

As a result, it seems to create an error on ITA.

I'm not wedded to returning from YUL, but it seemed to be the cheapest option.

M
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:28 pm

INV-LHR-JFK/BOS/ORD-DCA/CLT/BOS-PHL-LGA/CLT-RDU/BOS/JFK-LHR-INV can be done very easily for the same price, but now we are straying into TP run territory which is not welcome in this thread by some.
Sealink and msm2000uk like this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I'd likely have to switch the return destination though, as the YUL-LHR is on a 787-8, so no F.

As a result, it seems to create an error on ITA.

I'm not wedded to returning from YUL, but it seemed to be the cheapest option.

M
You can choose business class in the drop down in Matrix but then, if you break down that leg in multi-trip, you can specify an individual leg in a different class (f bc=a or f bc=f). Otherwise you can call BA to price it up. On the inbound you could go via JFK or BOS.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 2:12 pm

INV-LHR-JFK/BOS/ORD-DCA/CLT/BOS-PHL-LGA/CLT-RDU/BOS/JFK-LHR-INV can be done very easily for the same price, but now we are straying into TP run territory which is not welcome in this thread by some.
Thanks! I'll see if I can route the inbound for the same price - when I tried, it threw the price much higher.

Originally Posted by ringingup

You can choose business class in the drop down in Matrix but then, if you break down that leg in multi-trip, you can specify an individual leg in a different class (f bc=a or f bc=f). Otherwise you can call BA to price it up. On the inbound you could go via JFK or BOS.
I tried via JFK, but the price for F was over £3k.

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.