Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

How about a Wiki to post EU comp given/denied as well as results for any CEDR or other process. Especially concerning the 787 issue as there are going to be many claims given all the cancellations.

Mine was April 22 BA280 LAX-LHR cancellation 4 days before flight and rebooked on later flight and arrived 4.5 hrs later than origianlly scheduled. BA's response was to deny for "operational" requirements though the 787 "tentatively assigned" G-ZBJG was used instead for a LHR-YUL flight that same day. CEDR filed and awaiting their initial review. Sept 3rd UPDATE: CEDR decision in Article 7 comp awarded in the amount of 600 euro as even though extraordinary circumstances are present in an engine defect as this, BA didn't show that they took reasonable steps to avoid the cancellation as they have known since Oct 2017 of this issue.
Print Wikipost

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by abc193
Are AA partnered with Hilton or IHG given you specifically mentioned them? We have status with Marriott/SPG so had looked into which of their hotels are available if needed. I read over on the AA forum that passengers were only offered the legal compensation amount (600 EUR) and other accommodation/delay related expenses were not covered although that didn't seem to be the case reading the thread here.
If you don't book accommodation - so stay in the airport - then you can't claim for it, which explains some of the cases in the AA forum. Hence by all means endeavour to persuade AA to get you a hotel and then use an App to get your own accommodation, which AA will have no choice in law but to refund. I must admit I wouldn't try too hard with AA, since their hotel voucher system has numerous imperfections. Now Marriott is the chain with which I am the least familiar, but the CWS endorsed hotel for MIA is the Hilton, partly because their shuttle is so good. I also see plenty of Holiday Inn / HIX vans go by in MIA, but that's the only reason. For all I know Marriott also have some good options for MIA.
abc193 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / OW Emerald
Anyone have access to historical data..

I’m looking to find info on BA107 on 10th Nov 2018 and what time the flight landed exactly and what time doors opened as I understand it’s the doors open time that is important ..

Want to check if there is a possible claim ..
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No, EC261 would apply here, there have been a number of legal cases in the last 2 years connected with Emirates (so transferring in Dubai) which have ended up as giving passengers protection in this situation. As it happens AA's custom and practice is to give hotel accommodation in this scenario, at least for status passengers and business class passengers, even if it was a weather problem. MIA is now quite slick so I doubt you need to worry, all I would do, by way of a precaution, is to have the Hilton and IHG Apps working on your telephone, just in case you get an unhelpful agent. Nevertheless the expense of this would be covered by EC261, as would compensation should that apply. On the return from St Christopher that wouldn't apply on AA, you would best be on the BA service in that scenario.
Can I ask a question here which is prompted by this particular conversation? I have a CEDR claim in at the moment for which I have gotten invaluable advice on FT. But earlier this year, I was on a BA ticketed BNE-SIN-LHR where BNE-SIN was on QF and then connecting with BA for SIN-LHR. The QF leg went tech and we were delayed for 24 hours, finally getting home via QF/BA on a BNE-SYD-HND-LHR. QF sorted hotel, transfers, meals etc so that's all been taken care of. At the time I was told EC261 was not applicable because (a) the tech flight was on QF and (b) the leg affected was not to or from the EU.

Reading the AA related post above, I am beginning to wonder whether I do indeed have a case, seeing that the flight was all BA ticketed and it was to the EU, where I arrived 24 hours late.

What's the thoughts on this please?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by PAL62V
Can I ask a question here which is prompted by this particular conversation? I have a CEDR claim in at the moment for which I have gotten invaluable advice on FT. But earlier this year, I was on a BA ticketed BNE-SIN-LHR where BNE-SIN was on QF and then connecting with BA for SIN-LHR. The QF leg went tech and we were delayed for 24 hours, finally getting home via QF/BA on a BNE-SYD-HND-LHR. QF sorted hotel, transfers, meals etc so that's all been taken care of. At the time I was told EC261 was not applicable because (a) the tech flight was on QF and (b) the leg affected was not to or from the EU.

Reading the AA related post above, I am beginning to wonder whether I do indeed have a case, seeing that the flight was all BA ticketed and it was to the EU, where I arrived 24 hours late.

What's the thoughts on this please?
Q1 in this post suggests it's the operating carrier that matters in your situation. I would hazard a guess that in the Emirates/AA situation the origin was ex EU and this was also the flight that led to further complications, which is why it was covered by EC261?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by zeel
Anyone have access to historical data..

I’m looking to find info on BA107 on 10th Nov 2018 and what time the flight landed exactly and what time doors opened as I understand it’s the doors open time that is important ..

Want to check if there is a possible claim ..
BA107 10 nov...lhr/dxb...doors open 2131 GMT (0131 local time )
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by zeel
I’m looking to find info on BA107 on 10th Nov 2018 and what time the flight landed exactly and what time doors opened ...
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...245Z/EGLL/OMDB

STD 1235
ATD 1413
STA 2345
ATA 0128

So the arrival delay (like the departure delay) was less than two hours.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by cbagent
BA107 10 nov...lhr/dxb...doors open 2131 GMT (0131 local time )
Where do you look for the doors open time?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:56 am

Q1 in this post suggests it's the operating carrier that matters in your situation. I would hazard a guess that in the Emirates/AA situation the origin was ex EU and this was also the flight that led to further complications, which is why it was covered by EC261?
You may be right. However it's this current thread: BA16 SYD-LHR 2 Dec, delayed overnight that had me thinking. The only real difference here is that in this thread, BA is the ticketing and operating carrier, whereas in my situation BA was ticketing but QF was operating that sector. The whole trip was on one PNR therefore I was delayed in arriving at my EU destination having purchased a ticket on an EU carrier.

It's this grey area that I am unsure of and I can't seem to get a clear answer from reading the relevant rules. Has anyone had a similar situation and made a claim?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
QF was operating that sector.
And that is the critical point. QF is not a Community carrier and you were not starting in Europe, see the first few posts in this thread. Ticketing airline has no impact on EC261 questions.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Etxebas
Where do you look for the doors open time?
I don't think that's publicly available. That's one of the bits of help that an insider can give if there's a case that's very close to the line - if cbagent had posted a couple of minutes earlier, I wouldn't have bothered. However, in zeel's case the flight's delay was so far short of any of the prescribed durations that the difference between arrival and doors open really didn't matter.
cbagent likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:57 am

You may be right. However it's this current thread: BA16 SYD-LHR 2 Dec, delayed overnight that had me thinking. The only real difference here is that in this thread, BA is the ticketing and operating carrier, whereas in my situation BA was ticketing but QF was operating that sector. The whole trip was on one PNR therefore I was delayed in arriving at my EU destination having purchased a ticket on an EU carrier.

It's this grey area that I am unsure of and I can't seem to get a clear answer from reading the relevant rules. Has anyone had a similar situation and made a claim?
It isn't a grey area. Your delay was caused on a non EU carrier on a flight departing Australia.

Forget the ticketing carrier, it is of no relevance at all.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by simons1

It isn't a grey area. Your delay was caused on a non EU carrier on a flight departing Australia.

Forget the ticketing carrier, it is of no relevance at all.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And that is the critical point. QF is not a Community carrier and you were not starting in Europe, see the first few posts in this thread. Ticketing airline has no impact on EC261 questions.
Oh well, worth a try! Thanks all.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:12 am

Oh well, worth a try! Thanks all.
Saw this over on the QR forum: QR EU261 Compensation (DOH-BKK leg delayed) - Success story!

It seems that the primary (and very simplified!) requirements for EC261 to apply is either (i) the flights are operated by an EU airline and (a) is either ex EU or (b) the final destination is in the EU or (ii) a non EU airline with the first leg being ex EU regardless of which leg causes the delay to the final destination.

To be honest I'd never given much thought to factoring this into my plans when booking flights, although with downgrades, re-routing, delays etc all covered that may well swing things for me in the future when considering which inbound flight(s) to take.

Thanks again to all (and CWS) for their extensive knowledge on this topic.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:44 am

Saw this over on the QR forum: QR EU261 Compensation (DOH-BKK leg delayed) - Success story!

It seems that the primary (and very simplified!) requirements for EC261 to apply is either (i) the flights are operated by an EU airline and (a) is either ex EU or (b) the final destination is in the EU or (ii) a non EU airline with the first leg being ex EU regardless of which leg causes the delay to the final destination.

To be honest I'd never given much thought to factoring this into my plans when booking flights, although with downgrades, re-routing, delays etc all covered that may well swing things for me in the future when considering which inbound flight(s) to take.

Thanks again to all (and CWS) for their extensive knowledge on this topic.
I don't really understand your point - the scope of EC261 is covered in the wording.

In the case above courts have determined that LHR to BKK via DOH is a single journey with a change of plane in Doha. Therefore EC261 applies, as a non EU carrier operating from the EU is in scope.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Globaliser
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...245Z/EGLL/OMDB

STD 1235
ATD 1413
STA 2345
ATA 0128

So the arrival delay (like the departure delay) was less than two hours.
thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.