Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

How about a Wiki to post EU comp given/denied as well as results for any CEDR or other process. Especially concerning the 787 issue as there are going to be many claims given all the cancellations.

Mine was April 22 BA280 LAX-LHR cancellation 4 days before flight and rebooked on later flight and arrived 4.5 hrs later than origianlly scheduled. BA's response was to deny for "operational" requirements though the 787 "tentatively assigned" G-ZBJG was used instead for a LHR-YUL flight that same day. CEDR filed and awaiting their initial review. Sept 3rd UPDATE: CEDR decision in Article 7 comp awarded in the amount of 600 euro as even though extraordinary circumstances are present in an engine defect as this, BA didn't show that they took reasonable steps to avoid the cancellation as they have known since Oct 2017 of this issue.
Print Wikipost

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Clareym66
This suggests that the original aircraft departed to Budapest before the delayed replacement plane left to come to Barcelona, so that must have been an operational decision by the airline?

Is there any way i can check the this?

Any help greatly appreciated
You don't need to check this or prove it, the focus of the Regulation is on BA to prove its side of the equation, and that standard of proof is getting tougher for them all the time. So assuming you have had a rejection note from BA, then you should reply back to them that you're not letting the matter rest and that if BA are not able to pay Article 7 compensation, can they at least give the green light to proceed to a CEDR referral now, rather have you holding on until the 8 weeks are up. Ask them to do that in the next 2 weeks, and on day 16 press the buttons to get a CEDR claim in.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
I was on a flight to Toronto that was ultimately delayed 6 hours. Plane went tech so we were offloaded (after 2 hours). I live a short distance from Heathrow so opted to be booked on a different flight.

Am I right in thinking then that no compensation due, as BA did their bit by moving me?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
Very basic question, but slightly urgent: family member delayed at Aberdeen with multiple flights cancelled. Will the airline cover the train ticket south? Do they need proof from the airline?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by maastrichtmouse
Very basic question, but slightly urgent: family member delayed at Aberdeen with multiple flights cancelled. Will the airline cover the train ticket south? Do they need proof from the airline?
Generally BA won't pay for train journeys if a same day air trip is still possible. For status passengers in particular, if the push comes to the shove then they do pay up. In terms of my reading of the law, you have to give BA a fair chance of rebooking in a reasonable way. If their best suggestion is waiting 4 days in ABZ (somewhat unlikely) then that is clearly unreasonable. Now without full details of what is on offer then it's difficult to judge this remotely. However I would also say that if BA's offer is a night in a hotel, plus a flight the next morning, I think that falls into reasonable.

Do you have the flight number of the original booking so I can check the issue (and is the strength of cross winds, hazarding a random guess?)
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bermyandy
I was on a flight to Toronto that was ultimately delayed 6 hours. Plane went tech so we were offloaded (after 2 hours). I live a short distance from Heathrow so opted to be booked on a different flight.

Am I right in thinking then that no compensation due, as BA did their bit by moving me?
Well it depends on the details as ever. For example how late was the flight arriving into Toronto? Secondly after 5 hours you can have a refund on the ticket and thus rebook elsewhere, which presumably you didn't do? But if in essence your flight was over 3 stroke 4 hours late into Pearson then you should have a case for EC261 since there was no avoiding the delay, you presumably just made it easier on yourself in terms of re-routing. I would certainly apply for it.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:18 pm

Thanks CWS:
I did post an update online to CEDR, with no response. I also emailed one of the directors after reading your comments and got a quick response (i.e. final decision - accept or reject).

This is fine. I have now accepted the offer - so at least I'll get the refund for my fare home.
I think this also means that I can now pursue the MCOL route for compensation re. EC 261. I feel I can convince the court that LGW was untrue, therefore an invalid adjudication. I think that should stand in my favour and as long as I prepare my case well, I believe a defence by BA will be difficult to hold up.

I'll post an update in due course.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Silver Card
Can the pilots / crew of an Airbus 321 also operate a 319 and 320 if required ?
Relevant to some ongoing "discussions" with BA …..

Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Currently onboard BA 440 (LHR-AMS) which suffered a hydraulic failure as we were holding for 27L. Just been towed back to T5C for the mechanics to have a closer look.

On the assumption that this ends up unserviceable, can anyone confirm if BA normally covers expenses at your “home” airport?

Loads look reasonably high for the rest of the evening, and tomorrow morning, so BA may dig out a replacement airframe but just planning ahead!

ETA: Looks like my service tonight will be going ahead with an aircraft change. Will leave this post here for answers to help out others who may find it through a search engine!

Last edited by dakaix; Nov 11, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by apacuk

Thanks!
Yes.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

Originally Posted by rapidex
Yes.
True in terms of type rating, but the finer point of discussion that may be taking place may involve situations such as some airports requiring a special check (e.g. FNC), and someone potentially not have been checked out on the variants as well?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
True in terms of type rating, but the finer point of discussion that may be taking place may involve situations such as some airports requiring a special check (e.g. FNC), and someone potentially not have been checked out on the variants as well?
I’m on the same flight as dakaix above. We’ve been transferred from a 321 to a 320 and it is the same crew.

As a side, would really be handy in ground staff would recognise the difference in overhead locker space when transferring passengers from a 321 to a 320, rather than the additional delay of trying to find space that doesn’t exist for all the wheelies trying to be brought on board. All they probably needed to do was check in 10-15 bags at the gate and we would have saved ourselves time - and ironically for BA, the delay would have been between 3-4 hours than the now 4+ hours.

end of rant!
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver Card
OK … thanks, that's very useful.
I read elsewhere that if "extraordinary circumstances" are claimed, these need to apply to the flight itself, not the previous flight. So if the previous flight was late arriving because of bad weather or ATC restrictions, causing the actual flight to be late, the defence of "extraordinary circumstances" does not apply.

I can't find the legal precedent for this - am I correct?

Thanks!!
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dakaix
On the assumption that this ends up unserviceable, can anyone confirm if BA normally covers expenses at your “home” airport?
There is certainly no bar to "home" customers getting the Right to Care aspects of EC261. I guess you meant specifically hotel accommodation, and the regulation doesn't directly address that question, it just says a hotel should be provided if it "becomes necessary". In reality, those who live in West London probably would probably prefer to retire to their own bed rather end up in a soul less airport hotel, but BA don't ask many questions and so you could assume a hotel would be provided if requested.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
That is nothing to do with which type the pilots fly. Checking into FNC and some of the other delightful spots is a different matter. The differences course is sitting in front of a computer work station for a few hours.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

I read elsewhere that if "extraordinary circumstances" are claimed, these need to apply to the flight itself, not the previous flight. So if the previous flight was late arriving because of bad weather or ATC restrictions, causing the actual flight to be late, the defence of "extraordinary circumstances" does not apply.
If you wade through this thread and the previous years' threads you will see that broadly speaking knock-on weather issues won't be extraordinary circumstances in many cases, eg. if the aircraft has to return to LHR after bad weather and is then late leaving LHR for the next flight to somewhere unaffected. At an out-station returning home then extraordinary circumstances may well apply if the weather was on the outbound service, but airlines are still responsible for reasonable measures to minimise impact. So as ever, the precise circumstances can make a big difference here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.