Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

How about a Wiki to post EU comp given/denied as well as results for any CEDR or other process. Especially concerning the 787 issue as there are going to be many claims given all the cancellations.

Mine was April 22 BA280 LAX-LHR cancellation 4 days before flight and rebooked on later flight and arrived 4.5 hrs later than origianlly scheduled. BA's response was to deny for "operational" requirements though the 787 "tentatively assigned" G-ZBJG was used instead for a LHR-YUL flight that same day. CEDR filed and awaiting their initial review. Sept 3rd UPDATE: CEDR decision in Article 7 comp awarded in the amount of 600 euro as even though extraordinary circumstances are present in an engine defect as this, BA didn't show that they took reasonable steps to avoid the cancellation as they have known since Oct 2017 of this issue.
Print Wikipost

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by EuropeToAsia
Maybe the learned members can make sense of this. Very disappointing given this appears to be a nightstop service and the reason may well have been obvious last night.
That is "crew and no EC261" which suggests a sick crew member on a Berlin nightstop. I can't check if LCY-TXL ran but I am assuming it did. You would get a refund and you could try for Article 7 but I think they will reject this since you didn't travel.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeToAsia
Maybe the learned members can make sense of this. Very disappointing given this appears to be a nightstop service and the reason may well have been obvious last night.

Good luck with the next one.
Thanks EuropeToAsia. I guess crew sickness this morning would be a good reason for a short-notice cancellation, and finding a replacement at a small, remote outstation would be difficult.

I have just come off the phone to the Gold Line, who had no information whatsoever about the reason for the cancellation - but they have processed the refund, which is the priority.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Misco60
...crew sickness this morning would be a good reason for a short-notice cancellation, and finding a replacement at a small, remote outstation would be difficult....
It’s not that difficult to have standby crew at an airport in a major city such as Berlin.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That is "crew and no EC261" which suggests a sick crew member on a Berlin nightstop. I can't check if LCY-TXL ran but I am assuming it did.
BA8495 on 24 September 2018 operated as scheduled. This is the flight which night-stops at TXL and would normally then operate BA8490 at 0705 the next morning. Instead, the aircraft (G-LCYW) operated back to LCY this morning as BA9751, arriving about half an hour after BA8490 should have arrived, which seems consistent with the note about a sudden crew problem.
Originally Posted by richardwft
It’s not that difficult to have standby crew at an airport in a major city such as Berlin.
I think you need to get real here. We are talking about a small operation that brings two pilots and two cabin crew to TXL three times a day. Do you think that for that, it's reasonable for CJ to station an entire spare crew at TXL permanently?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:53 am

Difficult - no.

Unrealistic - yes.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by simons1
Difficult - no.

Unrealistic - yes.
How many flights does BA have to LON from TXL everyday?
Are most of the passengers paying £29 ow?
Is revenue growth important over the longer term to the airline business?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Globaliser
....Do you think that for that, it's reasonable for CJ to station an entire spare crew at TXL permanently?
Nope.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:51 am

Are most of the passengers paying £29 ow?
Is revenue growth important over the longer term to the airline business?
BA has 7, Cityflyer has 3.
No idea but I doubt it.
Presumably yes.

None of which has any obvious relevance to Cityflyer having spare crew sat around Berlin.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For these purposes, three.

CJ crew cannot operate mainline flights, and mainline crew cannot operate CJ flights. So the answer is three, on small aircraft.

And that is why it would clearly be unreasonable to expect CJ to station a standby crew at TXL. Added to that is the possibility that, for those for whom it works, there are plenty of LHR flights that can sometimes provide a ready alternative.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

It might not be technically difficult as such, but very expensive.
When you start putting crew members on standby at outstations to cover for all eventuality, the crew cost (+ accommodation) do increase rather drastically. We might think BA have lots of flights to TXL but LCY ones don't operate the same aircraft as LHR ones so you need separate crew to cover LCY and LHR flights, and depending on the first and last flight of the day, you might need to have up to 4 captains who are cleared for right hand seat duty every day (1 captain for the A320 family and 1 captain for the EMB for up to flight time limitations so it might need two shifts to cover all the flights) so that they can operate as a captain or first officer as required) and up to 4 cabin crew members (again 1 for the A320 family and 1 for the EMB).

Then you need to arrange for up to 8 hotel rooms. You can probably see how the costs may end up becoming rather silly. It's theoretically doable, but if airlines are required to do that, the fares will need to go up to cover them. I'm quite happy to do that, but I suspect most people are a little more price-sensitive.

I'd also like BA to locate a spare airframe at the outpost to cover it too

Of course, we can sign up to the likes of VistaJet that guarantees availability pretty much anywhere, any time, if the cost is no object.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:12 am
Suspended

....CJ crew cannot operate mainline flights, and mainline crew cannot operate CJ flights.....
How did BA dig themselves into that one?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How did BA dig themselves into that one?
BA didn't.

This is absolutely basic fundamental air crew licensing stuff.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:34 am
Suspended

BA didn't.

This is absolutely basic fundamental air crew licensing stuff.
Tell me more. I know the planes are very different.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Tell me more. I know the planes are very different.
commercial pilots can only hold one type rating at a time. There are a few exceptions where a common type rating can cover more than one type, for example the 757/767. Also obviously with a type one type rating can cover multiple models, so the A319/A320/A321 are covered by one type rating. Going from one manufacturer to another requires a lengthy conversion process, each manufacturer has different ways of laying out a cockpit and has different systems.

As this seems to be going somewhat o/t perhaps have a read of other online information such as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_rating
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:50 am
Suspended

Thanks for an excellent informative post KARFA, just a quick question, do BA have multi short haul aircraft CABIN crew?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.