Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Old May 22, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

How about a Wiki to post EU comp given/denied as well as results for any CEDR or other process. Especially concerning the 787 issue as there are going to be many claims given all the cancellations.

Mine was April 22 BA280 LAX-LHR cancellation 4 days before flight and rebooked on later flight and arrived 4.5 hrs later than origianlly scheduled. BA's response was to deny for "operational" requirements though the 787 "tentatively assigned" G-ZBJG was used instead for a LHR-YUL flight that same day. CEDR filed and awaiting their initial review. Sept 3rd UPDATE: CEDR decision in Article 7 comp awarded in the amount of 600 euro as even though extraordinary circumstances are present in an engine defect as this, BA didn't show that they took reasonable steps to avoid the cancellation as they have known since Oct 2017 of this issue.
Print Wikipost

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Yannisb, I hope we will see you elsewhere in the forum, it's a great place to improve your travel experience.

I don't see the point in involving a third party company with your claim, they can't save you any work, and so it's just like you giving some law firm a charity donation frankly. But if it was ATC related - this was the day after the Heathrow problems and I seem to recall Eurocontrol was very busy on 19 July - then there is no compensation, that would be extraordinary circumstances. Still you should apply, just in case there were other factors involved, and you can do that yourself using the process at the top of the thread.

For the Eurostar ticket, you can either have the refund on the air ticket (which may then cover the Eurostar) or you can pursue BA for the Eurostar ticket but not have the air ticket refund. The latter case is not always easy to achieve but if the BRU agents were unable to rebook then you have a fairly strong case.
BA just got back to me (it took them less than 3 weeks which is not too bad) and confirmed your suspicions!

Your claim for compensation has been refused because BA0397 on 19 July was cancelled due to airfield restrictions being in place. These were outside of our control and prevented the aircraft from operating as scheduled. Under EU legislation, I’m afraid we’re not liable for a compensation payment in this situation.

I had my air ticket refunded so, as you expected, the Eurostar ticket could not be reimbursed by BA but thankfully my company agreed to pay or it.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL + GfL
I would be grateful for any informed views on what I should push for in the following scenario.

4 PAX on F UK-USA Avios (using 2 x 2-4-1 and 320k Avios).
Outbound no problem (great experience and crew actually).
Return flight cancelled with 8 hours notice due to weather - aircraft diverted to another USA city.
Auto-rebooked all 4 seats in J with AA (so 1 class downgrade and change of carrier) as no F cabin operated.

Does the fact it was weather affect any downgrade Avios refund or comp? Will I be looking at proportionate refund for only 2 of the tickets as 2 were 2-4-1? Thanks. I’ll be happy to update you on progress.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BA_Pax
I would be grateful for any informed views on what I should push for in the following scenario.

Return flight cancelled with 8 hours notice due to weather - aircraft diverted to another USA city.
Auto-rebooked all 4 seats in J with AA (so 1 class downgrade and change of carrier) as no F cabin operated.

Does the fact it was weather affect any downgrade Avios refund or comp? Will I be looking at proportionate refund for only 2 of the tickets as 2 were 2-4-1? Thanks. I’ll be happy to update you on progress.

Assuming that you were booked on BA and BA rebooked you onto AA, I believe that you can claim 75% compensation for the downgrade
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:21 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you were booked on AA for US-UK, then no EC261 compensation would apply regardless but you should be able to get a refund on the miles difference between 1st and business for the journey back
The OP was using 2x 2-4-1 and Avios so it must have been a BA ticket and a BA operated service.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Can anybody advise as to why the BA1493 GLA-LHR was cancelled last night?
Have an acquaintance who was meant to be on it who has now been told they'll get him back to Gatwick on Sunday morning. No mention of duty of care or anything else.
If he takes a train today will they pay for it?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by patersoj
Can anybody advise as to why the BA1493 GLA-LHR was cancelled last night?
Have an acquaintance who was meant to be on it who has now been told they'll get him back to Gatwick on Sunday morning. No mention of duty of care or anything else.
If he takes a train today will they pay for it?
As you probably have noticed from the half dozen other threads at the top of this forum, there was bad weather yesterday at LHR, the flow rate was reduced, and a heap of services were cancelled or badly delayed.

If he takes a train he can't assume he will get it refunded by BA, though it has been known to happen. He can however get a refund on the GLA-LHR service and use that to pay for the train service. He won't get any further EC261 compensastion. He may also be able to get an earlier service from GLA, it's a fast moving situation and some flights which started off full will now have empty seats on them close to departure (currently 4 services, ring up for this). He could chance this by going to GLA and seeing if they will put him on standby. By telephone he could see if EDI has any availability too, currently there is availability on 3 services.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
As you probably have noticed from the half dozen other threads at the top of this forum, there was bad weather yesterday at LHR, the flow rate was reduced, and a heap of services were cancelled or badly delayed.

If he takes a train he can't assume he will get it refunded by BA, though it has been known to happen.
Thanks CWS. I live pretty close to Heathrow (Woking) and whilst we had a fair bit of rain yesterday afternoon I didn't realise it was bad enough for flight cancellations.
I think my acquaintance is feeling particularly aggrieved as it was a day trip for work, and he basically had the clothes he was stood up in and a briefcase
Such is life - I'll let him know where he stands.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by patersoj
Thanks CWS. I live pretty close to Heathrow (Woking) and whilst we had a fair bit of rain yesterday afternoon I didn't realise it was bad enough for flight cancellations.
I think my acquaintance is feeling particularly aggrieved as it was a day trip for work, and he basically had the clothes he was stood up in and a briefcase
Such is life - I'll let him know where he stands.
Did BA not put them up in a hotel and feed them etc. under Duty of Care provisions?

There is no exclusion from the Duty of care provisions under eu261/2004 - extraordinary circumstances are irrelevant.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
I'm fairly sure I know the answer but I'd just like to check. We were due to fly to BUD on the flight that was cancelled yesterday evening. We were rebooked via HEL, on BA 798 due to arrive at 23.35 followed by a flight on AY this morning.

BA798 was delayed initially due to a late inbound plane. We were then delayed further by lack of crew (we were told it was boarding only to then be told the crew were in T5, then that they were still airborne). We then made it onto the plane only to wait for a tug. End result was arriving into HEL a bit over 3 hours late.

Am I right in thinking that the scheduled arrival time of the original flight is irrelevant because it was extraordinary circumstances, and the delays to the flight we were rebooked on don't matter because our morning flight was only 50 minutes late?

We will obviously be claiming for the cost of 4 hours in the HEL Hilton.

Thanks

Last edited by omk298; Aug 11, 2018 at 6:47 am
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by omk298
I'm fairly sure I know the answer but I'd just like to check. We were due to fly to BUD on the flight that was cancelled yesterday evening. We were rebooked via HEL, on BA 798 due to arrive at 23.35 followed by a flight on AY this morning.
I would see this as two incidents - LHR-BUD presumably cancelled due to bad weather (the dispatch note says WEAN) - no Article 7 for that; secondly a delay midway on replacement LHR-HEL-BUD. Since you were not 3 hours late at BUD then I can't see any scope for Article 7 compensation, in any case it seems to have been a mix of issues that lead to the delay, some claimable, some perhaps not.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Thanks, that's what I thought Will console myself with 80 bonus tier points.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:22 am
sgd

EC261 eligibility question - BA279 cancellation

This post is currently being edited.

Last edited by sgd; Nov 12, 2018 at 8:19 am
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sgd
If answer to first question is “yes” then second question is: What outcome should I be requesting/ expecting when I file EC261 claim with BA? (Because we are less than 4 hours late to destination but more than 1 hour early from origin wiki seems to suggest 50% compensation or 300 Euros per person. Am I interpreting that correctly? There seem to be nuances for multi-segment journeys.)
I would guess the underlying reason is a shortage of aircraft is the cause of the problem. The 787 engine issue means that they only have just enough aircraft for the timetable, if anything goes wrong (such as a very late running inbound service) then something has to be cancelled. I would say you have a good basis for an EC261 Article 7 claim, and as you say since you are scheduled to be around 2 hours late into SJC then the basis is going to be cut by half, so yes, 300€ per person. However we perhaps best look at that once you get through the trip, you have a short-ish ORD connection.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:37 am
sgd

Thank you for the quick response! Currently at Heathrow partway through the long journey. Will let you know if we make it to SJC tonight!
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: BA GGL + GfL
Originally Posted by BA_Pax

Further to above that I posted Thursday, I have just received the below which is astonishing. Can’t be right can it? The reply quotes all 4 ticket numbers.

Thank you for your request of a refund.
We regret to inform you that we are unable to refund for the above-mentioned ticket
As per our calculation there is no refund due for above mentioned ticket due to downgrade from First class to Business Class. Hence there is no refund amount due.
I hope this information has clarified the situation. Assuring you of our best attention at all times.
Yours sincerely
British Airways Global Refunds Agent Reference”

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.