Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Old May 22, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

How about a Wiki to post EU comp given/denied as well as results for any CEDR or other process. Especially concerning the 787 issue as there are going to be many claims given all the cancellations.

Mine was April 22 BA280 LAX-LHR cancellation 4 days before flight and rebooked on later flight and arrived 4.5 hrs later than origianlly scheduled. BA's response was to deny for "operational" requirements though the 787 "tentatively assigned" G-ZBJG was used instead for a LHR-YUL flight that same day. CEDR filed and awaiting their initial review. Sept 3rd UPDATE: CEDR decision in Article 7 comp awarded in the amount of 600 euro as even though extraordinary circumstances are present in an engine defect as this, BA didn't show that they took reasonable steps to avoid the cancellation as they have known since Oct 2017 of this issue.
Print Wikipost

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:44 am

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to post an update on the situation myself and my partner were discussing last week.

I heard from BA this morning. They have agreed to 'contribute' towards our expenses for the train tickets (I will be chasing this up, as there is a phone recording stating they will pay the costs in full).

We were indeed refused compensation, but NOT for the reasons people stated. The email states:

Your claims been refused because BA1321 on 19 July 2018 was cancelled because of airfield restrictions being in place that were outside of our control, which prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled. Under EU legislation, Im afraid were not liable for a compensation payment in this situation.

I was wondering about people's thoughts on this? To be honest, we're only really bothered about getting our money back, so compensation is not a big deal. The only reason why I'm asking is because I know other people, including people who have posted on this thread, have been given compensation. Surely, if the 'airfield restrictions were out of their control' as they claim, no one would be entitled? Just seems a bit strange to me that some have been approved, when, from the reason they've given me, they make it sound like none should have been.

What do people think? Is this worth chasing up? Or should we just settle with the reimbursement? As I say, in truth all we were really bothered about is getting our money back, so we'd only look at chasing this up if it really does seem like we're being unfairly cheated out of compensation.

Thanks to everyone for all your advice!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rachel333
Surely, if the 'airfield restrictions were out of their control' as they claim, no one would be entitled? Just seems a bit strange to me that some have been approved, when, from the reason they've given me, they make it sound like none should have been.
Thank you for reporting back, I would hope BA would pay the train fare in full, if they were only going to contribute to some of it normally they would say so. It may be mixed in with other issues perhaps But the above reason doesn't surprise me, and is potentially valid. We know there was a backlog of services on Wednesday, some caused by the earlier ATC issue, and some caused by Amadeus Load Control. There were people sat on aircraft just waiting for Amadeus to cough up the data - and these passengers would be eligible for EC261. However if BA agreed to cancel flights in order to reduce the pressure on traffic then it's more complicated, since ATC may well have asked airlines to reduce their flights or risk long delays / diversions. BA is by far the largest operator at LHR.

So this is one of those cases where the underlying reason for EC261 not being paid is potentially valid, but you, as a passenger, may be able to argue that (e.g.) it was really a commercial decision to cancel the LHR-NCL night stop service. You're unlikely to get that via BA, you would have to escalate that via CEDR (and they may well back BA) or MCOL (depends how you argue it). Full details in the main EC261 thread in the Dashboard. What I would say is that in my experience BA are generally reluctant to cancel night stop services since they muck up crew rotas more than a back to back service.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
It will depend on when exactly the doors open when you arrive. So, you can't claim compensation until after the flight. It may be that take off is 4 hours late, but it may get to the destination only 3:30 late.
I understand its based on the time doors open upon arrival. But my question is whether the scheduled arrival time that will be used for EU261 claim in this case would be the original arrival time of 21:05 (since the schedule change occurred 7-14 days before departure) or the updated arrival time of 00:05? Basically if the flight opens its doors at precisely the newly scheduled time of 00:05 will I be due compensation since its 4 hours later than the originally scheduled arrival time of 20:05? Keeping in mind schedule change occurred 8 days from departure.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Tyzap
I'm not sure if you know about the background to this flight.

Norwegian have leased an A380 (ex Singapore airlines) from HiFly to operate these flights. They have been operating for a few days only and the very first flight departed around 4 hours late. Since then they have been unable to recover any of that time, with every flight being around 4 hours or more late.

They are facing some further problems at JFK due to a lack of available gates for an additional A380 at the scheduled time of arrival. The chances are that things will get worse before they get better and I would suggest that 4 hours is likely to be the minimum delay.
I am very familiar with the situation and am booked in premium so that I can experience SQ hard product. Theyve now rescheduled all the flights to 4 hours later so the delays should be far less as they arrive to JFK at midnight now. My question is, if the flight arrives on time at exactly the newly scheduled arrival time of 00:05 (which is 4 hours later than original scheduled arrival time of 20:05), am I due compensation since the schedule change was made 8 days before departure and has landed me 4+ hours from originally scheduled departure time? If so, would that be the full 600? I appreciate the help and knowledge!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dmandan5
I understand its based on the time doors open upon arrival. But my question is whether the scheduled arrival time that will be used for EU261 claim in this case would be the original arrival time of 21:05 (since the schedule change occurred 7-14 days before departure) or the updated arrival time of 00:05? Basically if the flight opens its doors at precisely the newly scheduled time of 00:05 will I be due compensation since its 4 hours later than the originally scheduled arrival time of 20:05? Keeping in mind schedule change occurred 8 days from departure.
Since your flight is delayed, rather than cancelled, then it's doors open versus 20:05, and the relevant time is 3 hours, not 4 hours. The airline may disagree with this, and they did offer rebook / cancel options, which they don't need to do with delays below 5 hours, so there is another side to the argument.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thank you for reporting back, I would hope BA would pay the train fare in full, if they were only going to contribute to some of it normally they would say so. It may be mixed in with other issues perhaps But the above reason doesn't surprise me, and is potentially valid. We know there was a backlog of services on Wednesday, some caused by the earlier ATC issue, and some caused by Amadeus Load Control. There were people sat on aircraft just waiting for Amadeus to cough up the data - and these passengers would be eligible for EC261. However if BA agreed to cancel flights in order to reduce the pressure on traffic then it's more complicated, since ATC may well have asked airlines to reduce their flights or risk long delays / diversions. BA is by far the largest operator at LHR.

So this is one of those cases where the underlying reason for EC261 not being paid is potentially valid, but you, as a passenger, may be able to argue that (e.g.) it was really a commercial decision to cancel the LHR-NCL night stop service. You're unlikely to get that via BA, you would have to escalate that via CEDR (and they may well back BA) or MCOL (depends how you argue it). Full details in the main EC261 thread in the Dashboard. What I would say is that in my experience BA are generally reluctant to cancel night stop services since they muck up crew rotas more than a back to back service.
Yeah I figured it would involve escalating beyond BA. Ill speak to my partner tonight, but as I say, all were really bothered about is getting the 360 we paid for the train tickets back. Ill see what my partner thinks, and well go from there.

I just wanted to report back, as it seems as though BA didnt seem to have a problem with the re-routing that people were mentioning last week. They havent mentioned anything to do with that in the email at all. Theyve given a completely different reason for the refusual.

I appreciate that other people who posted here who have been granted the compensation probably were in different circumstances, but I just wanted to check that we werent being treat completely unfairly.

I really appreciate the detailed and incredibly helpful advice, thanks so much!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
First of, thanks all and CWS in particular for this thread - insanely useful. As I was reading through, I realized I must be eligible for a compensation where my type 3 flight was delayed by between 3 and 4 hours. I never claimed anything assuming only delays of 4+ hours were eligible for any comp. One delay happened this May, another almost a year ago (August 25); both were tech issues (B777). I have already submitted my claims and, honestly, not very hopeful, as it's been months since delays happened. Question I have, if BA rejects (and if I were them, I totally would, for a customer is clearly opportunistic about comp), shall I push back and continue pursuing my claim or shall I not bother (since until yesterday I didn't even know I was eligible for anything any way)?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luitje
. Question I have, if BA rejects (and if I were them, I totally would, for a customer is clearly opportunistic about comp), shall I push back and continue pursuing my claim or shall I not bother (since until yesterday I didn't even know I was eligible for anything any way)?
They can't reject on the basis of opportunistic behaviour, so what I would suggest is to see what the reply comes back as - it may take a few weeks - and then we can advise further.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Since your flight is delayed, rather than cancelled, then it's doors open versus 20:05, and the relevant time is 3 hours, not 4 hours. The airline may disagree with this, and they did offer rebook / cancel options, which they don't need to do with delays below 5 hours, so there is another side to the argument.
3 hours for 300 and 4 hours for 600, correct?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:53 am

Update

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Just to be clear, it is only the non-exceptional issues which count towards the time - you have to view the text of EC261 as guidance, where actual interpretation and clarification is down to the courts. Had the delay for the sensor problem been 171 minutes, and then the plane was delayed by weather which had subsequently arrived then BA would not be liable.

However, that is not the case here - there is nothing whatsoever exceptional about crewing arrangements, which are entirely within the control of the airline. It was those that caused a much longer delay. BA are on the hook here, no matter how much they wriggle.
Originally Posted by brittraveller68
I was on the same flight and yesterday had my claim rejected with this statement: Your claim for EU has been refused because BA0877 on 15 June was delayed because of operational circumstances outside of our control, which prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled. Under EU legislation, Im afraid were not liable for a compensation payment in this situation.

I am currently awaiting their reply as to why they think that way. In the meantime, I've had these two tweets from their Twitter team, after I raised this matter with them:

We're sorry you're disappointed by this. I'm afraid the technical delay only contributed 171 minutes of the overall flight delay on BA0877. This does mean it's not payable under EU regulations.

To be eligible for EU compensation, the technical delay minutes would need to be 180 minutes or more. The total length of the delay wouldn't make this eligible and I'm sorry for the disappointment this has caused.

I can only assume at this point that they are saying that they fixed the fault within 3 hours (though we only have their word on that for now) and that possibly the fact that we wouldn't be allowed to land in the early hours at Heathrow and that their crew needed to rest were out of their control. So far, others feel that both these are "known knowns" and not exceptional circumstances. My own research into the EU regulation and the official EU guide to its interpretation shows no mention of any element of proportionality for a technical failure as part of the overall delay. The interpretation guide is clear that the delay is the difference between the planned and actual arrival times, with no mention of the time taking to fix the issue being a consideration.

As soon as I know more, I'll update this post and the other I started on this topic.
After being denied my compensation twice, I engaged Bott & Co to take up my case. They were successful in obtaining my compensation. Yes, they took some of the award as their fee, but I didnt want to give up without a fight. Now they have had success here, I would recommend anyone else on that flight to do the same.
HarryKUK likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite

After being denied my compensation twice, I engaged Bott & Co to take up my case. They were successful in obtaining my compensation. Yes, they took some of the award as their fee, but I didnt want to give up without a fight. Now they have had success here, I would recommend anyone else on that flight to do the same.
I also had a rejected claim which was then paid when I went via Bott and Co. Very annoying as there was no material difference in the claim, except that Bott and Co went to them rather than me.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by luitje
First of, thanks all and CWS in particular for this thread - insanely useful. As I was reading through, I realized I must be eligible for a compensation where my type 3 flight was delayed by between 3 and 4 hours. I never claimed anything assuming only delays of 4+ hours were eligible for any comp. One delay happened this May, another almost a year ago (August 25); both were tech issues (B777). I have already submitted my claims and, honestly, not very hopeful, as it's been months since delays happened. Question I have, if BA rejects (and if I were them, I totally would, for a customer is clearly opportunistic about comp), shall I push back and continue pursuing my claim or shall I not bother (since until yesterday I didn't even know I was eligible for anything any way)?
So what that it was a year ago - you have 6 years to bring claims to court in the UK
Of course you push back if it tries to reject it

If you are entutled to compensation, you should receive it - so what that, until recently, you were not aware that you were entitled to it
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: VS Silver, EK Gold, BA GGL/CCR

In a scenario where BA initially rejects a claim and then subsequently pays out on that claim when presented by (eg) Bott & Co, would there be any merit in lodging a small claim to recover the deducted fees from BA?

Would be an interesting approach as at present there is no disincentive for BA in rejecting every single claim at step 1. If they knew they might have to pay the claim plus a fee there might be some incentive to be more honest.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aztec_Flyer
In a scenario where BA initially rejects a claim and then subsequently pays out on that claim when presented by (eg) Bott & Co, would there be any merit in lodging a small claim to recover the deducted fees from BA?
You couldn't then use MCOL to enforce that since the basic intent of MCOL is to operate with legal costs retained by each side. At least on paper those who have used Bott & Co could have done it themselves through MCOL and in theory would have got the same result. However it would be interesting if CEDR had previously sided with BA and then the courts disagreed, since in that scenario CEDR would have got it wrong.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Aztec_Flyer

Would be an interesting approach as at present there is no disincentive for BA in rejecting every single claim at step 1. If they knew they might have to pay the claim plus a fee there might be some incentive to be more honest.
Thats an interesting thought. Ive not yet asked Bott & Co for the detail of BAs response, though I do wonder if BA might have included an in full and final settlement statement in their agreement to pay, which might limit any further action.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.