Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

How about a Wiki to post EU comp given/denied as well as results for any CEDR or other process. Especially concerning the 787 issue as there are going to be many claims given all the cancellations.

Mine was April 22 BA280 LAX-LHR cancellation 4 days before flight and rebooked on later flight and arrived 4.5 hrs later than origianlly scheduled. BA's response was to deny for "operational" requirements though the 787 "tentatively assigned" G-ZBJG was used instead for a LHR-YUL flight that same day. CEDR filed and awaiting their initial review. Sept 3rd UPDATE: CEDR decision in Article 7 comp awarded in the amount of 600 euro as even though extraordinary circumstances are present in an engine defect as this, BA didn't show that they took reasonable steps to avoid the cancellation as they have known since Oct 2017 of this issue.
Print Wikipost

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Often1
All of this confusion is the product of not providing all of the information. Those who rightfully questioned why OP was permitted to board at LHR now know that OP had spoken to BA and been rerouted such that she did not "no show" and thus have her ticket cancelled. Rather than arguing about compensation for the train ticket, it is simply an agreement by BA to reroute her and reimburse (not compensate) her for the train ticket.

BA will have all of that in the PNR notes and this should be quite easy. But, it will take some time because all of this is not obvious.

It may well be that the best reroute was train + plane given OP's time constraints. We can't know what availability via AMS (or even AMS-BOS) was on that day and without knowing that, one can't criticize the train + plane option.

This should all net OP a reimbursement of GBP 180 for the train ticket and, in theory, if she has receipts or the costs are reasonable, a couple of meals. Compensation though is almost certainly off the table, but BA might come through with some avios towards future flying, as a gesture.
It was actually myself that spoke to BA, not the OP (my partner). I think the confusion has come in because when I spoke to BA, they did not once, at any stage, say anything to me about re-routing. The conversation essentially went as follows:
'Our flight from Newcastle to Heathrow has been cancelled, we have a connection to catch'
'Oh no, sorry to hear that'
'On our booking, it is allowing us to change to a flight leaving the following day, this is too late for us'.
'Unfortunately all flights from Newcastle to London for today are either cancelled or fully booked'
'We are able to get a train into Heathrow which should just about get us there on time for the connection'
'Excellent. If you need to catch a train to get there for your flight to Boston, we'll cover the cost for you'.

End of conversation. While after reading this thread, both my partner and I can now see that BA must have 're-routed' us, and changed our ticket, they did not tell us they were doing this. It was simply 'if you can get here for the second part of the journey, great, we'll pay the train ticket for you'. I now understand that that will have been classed as a re-route, but because it was a 're-route' to the exact same place we were flying to anyway, it didn't seem obvious to either myself or my partner that that was the case. We have been treating the 2 separate flights as 2 separate journeys. Neither of us realised that because they're under the same ticket, BA will treat it as one.

Apologies for any confusion, we simply didn't realise we'd been re-routed, firstly because we were not told anything close to this by BA, simply 'If you can get to Heathrow for the second part of your journey then great, do that!' and secondly because we were going to Heathrow anyway, we didn't think this counted as re-routing. BA was supposed to get us to Heathrow, they didn't, so we did it ourselves. Had BA explained they were changing the tickets, this would have been significantly clearer, but that's not what they said at all, it was simply 'come to Heathrow if you can'.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
Chris and Rachel I’m pleased you made you holiday despite the hassle at the start of the trip. It is a timely reminder that air travel isn’t like catching a bus, if you’ve a time critical arrival it is highly advisable to build in a buffer. Last week’s thunderstorms or another weather related event could have easily wrecked your trip with no blame on yourselves or the airline.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Swampz64
It is a timely reminder that air travel isn’t like catching a bus, if you’ve a time critical arrival it is highly advisable to build in a buffer.
+1 to this. It can't be stressed too strongly. You either do this, or accept the risk that a small problem will totally wreck your holiday or other plans.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:54 pm

Travel insurance advice

Hi,
I’m new to this so not really sure how to start a new post. Just s bit of advice really. My daughter was admitted to hospital whilst we were in Lanzarote, we was in there for 5 days. Whilst staying here only one person could stay with her in the evening so me and my partner both took it in turns staying with her. We only slept on the hotel, we didn’t use any facilities. The hotel said they would happily refund the money if we booked direct through them but both the travel agent and insurance are saying they will not pay out for this.
Is there any way around this and is it right to do?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't take the word of either the hotel, the TA or the travel insurance, although I presume that you prepaid the hotel through the TA.

1. What does the TA's cancellation policy say? Does it cover circumstances such as yours where you were not sick, but you needed to stay with your daughter?

2. Same for the travel insurance. Many policies expressly cover expenses for a companion and would cover the cost of the hotel room whether you used it or not.

If you are not entitled to a refund or insurance coverage as the case may be, then it is simply a service gesture issue on the part of the hotel or the TA and neither seem willing to give, so that is the end of it.

It seems worth the time to carefully read the terms.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:40 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Charlotteh
Hi,
I’m new to this so not really sure how to start a new post. Just s bit of advice really.
Welcome to Flyertalk Charlotteh, however this sounds like a very bad time for you and your family. I'm not sure you have come to the right place in Flyertalk just yet but I imagine a Moderator can see if there is a better place for your question. Don't worry if this gets moved, it is just to see if there is a better answer you can get than from the BA forum.. If this was a chain hotel such as Ibis or Hilton or Marriott we have forums for that, plus we have an Information Desk. My first reaction is to have another go at your insurers since it does sound like the sort of thing you would expect to have covered. I notice my policy (which comes with my UK bank account) allows for a recuperative holiday in your sort of scenario, at a later date. I guess the issue is that the insurance pays for unexpected extra costs, rather than unused expected costs.

I hope your daughter is now feeling better.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by David-A
You are drawing a flawed conclusion from that paragraph.
What it says is that Gibraltar airport is out of scope. It does not say that all flights which come into contact with it are not covered.

This is why the RAM example I cited is not covered.
But BA and easyjet flights certainly are.

I'm personally aware of probably well over 100 specific cases where BA have paid out. And I'm NOT aware of any cases where they have not.
I'm probably aware of 40+ cases where easyJet have paid out. While there have been some easyjet initial attempts to argue it doesn't apply they have to my knowledge NEVER held to that point when challenged on it (I will say I know of some cases where people didn't bother challenging them on it, but I know of no instances where when challenged easyJet did not ultimately back down).

(Also loads of Monarch cases too).

Anyone who has been rebuffed just needs to challenge them on it. Easyjet have generally given me lots of silly 261 arguments, where as BA uses robot replies to field first line enquires, I think U2 use people without much knowledge who look it up for themselves, you only get the proper people who know what they are talking about when pushed.
Hi,

I have just joined flyertalk specifically to ask a question on this thread. I have 2 issues one more pressing than the other.
Easyjet flight from Gibraltar to UK was cancelled in April 2018. Weather was overcast, but actually not that bad, but locals and Google indicate that landing radar at Gib had not been operational for some time due to a rockfall.
Easyjet provided a flight home 2 days later from Malaga.
I booked a hotel for 2 nights in Gibraltar for 4 people.

Issue 1. I used a no win no fee company to claim EU261 compensation. Easyjet turned this down claiming weather. The company took it to CEDR.
CEDR came back and said that as it was Gibraltar then EU261 did not apply...end of. I can live with this and the weather may have won the day anyway.

Issue 2. I paid for a hire car, fuel, hotel for 4 and food for 2 nights and 3 days. I claimed for all of this on Easyjet's expenses system. Easyjet eventually came back and said they were paying for the car only. When asked why they were not paying for the hotel and food they said that this had been provided for free (unbeknown to me) via their 'disruption portal'. After the statutory time I made a claim for hotel and food with CEDR. Easyjet's response is now 'Gibraltar EU261 so not covered'.
If CEDR go the same way as Issue 1 the I will be seriously out of pocket.

Hence my interest in this part of this thread, yes it is Gibraltar but it is an EU airline flying to an EU destination. Where can I find more about this interpretation please. ?

andytw
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Do you get EC 261 compensation if you get removed from flight (before take-off) due to an argument with a flight attendant and the airline fails to find a timely replacement flight ?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Do you get EC 261 compensation if you get removed from flight (before take-off) due to an argument with a flight attendant and the airline fails to find a timely replacement flight ?
Were you denied boarding?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:00 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
It would probably depend on the nature of the argument and the circumstances.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by richardwft

Were you denied boarding?
No, someone else on Flyertalk:
Husband, 10 & 12 year old daughters kicked off flight and abandoned in Rome
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by andytw
Hi,

I have just joined flyertalk specifically to ask a question on this thread. I have 2 issues one more pressing than the other.
Welcome to Flyertalk andytw, welcome to the BA forum, it's good to see you here, albeit this is the BA forum. There is another place for easyJet via the Other European Airlines forum.

Your quote from @David-A was in reply to my earler post 13 upthread:

Originally Posted by CWS post 13

Originally Posted by David-A
Hang on, I think that needs correction - as it is very misleading (in fact I'd say it is outright wrong) as it stands, especially since this post sits within the British Airways section of FT.
The question as always is where are you flying FROM, and/or who are you flying WITH.
Not quite, see Article 1, clause 3:

Originally Posted by EC261
3. Application of this Regulation to Gibraltar airport shall be suspended until the arrangements in the Joint Declaration made by the Foreign Ministers of the Kingdom of Spain and the United Kingdom on 2 December 1987 enter into operation. The Governments of Spain and the United Kingdom will inform the Council of such date of entry into operation.
I'm aware of cases where BA have paid up, also cases where easyJet have not.
Now it is very possible that David-A has some insights into this that I don't have, but as far as I know Gibraltar remains outside EC261. CEDR's outcome is disappointing but what I would have expected, they are fairly conservative in their reading. Your two options are (a) MCOL , but with the risk that a judge may still agree with the outcome. It's possible you will be able to find some documentation that assists here (for example the Gibraltar government's law officers may know of some agreement here); or (b) at a pinch the Consumer Rights Act (see Dashboard) where you may be able to find some lines of argument. It does sound a fairly rotten outcome, I must say. It was to prevent abuses of this sort that the Regulation was introduced.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALlover
That means if I stick with BA operating flight (even if not the same delayed one) and more than 3 hours I would be able to claim for compensation?
If cancelled you are definitely OK, provided not extraordinary circumstances, ditto with delays but less assuredly since the Regulation itself doesn't provide the precise wording here.
Originally Posted by JALlover
Btw, those data you posted for each flight, they are from Expertflyer right?
Yes, that is where the dispatch information came from.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk andytw, welcome to the BA forum, it's good to see you here, albeit this is the BA forum. There is another place for easyJet via the Other European Airlines forum.

Your quote from @David-A was in reply to my earler post 13 upthread:

Now it is very possible that David-A has some insights into this that I don't have, but as far as I know Gibraltar remains outside EC261. CEDR's outcome is disappointing but what I would have expected, they are fairly conservative in their reading. Your two options are (a) MCOL , but with the risk that a judge may still agree with the outcome. It's possible you will be able to find some documentation that assists here (for example the Gibraltar government's law officers may know of some agreement here); or (b) at a pinch the Consumer Rights Act (see Dashboard) where you may be able to find some lines of argument. It does sound a fairly rotten outcome, I must say. It was to prevent abuses of this sort that the Regulation was introduced.
Thanks for the welcome and the info. Yes I realised I was trespassing a little on a BA thread but it was so specific to me and Easyjet did get a mention. I was interested in why David-A had re-worded the answer so well and on what grounds he felt he could do it. Hopefully he will let me know.
If I don't get Hotel and food costs via CEDR (which I paid for in full) then my next step will be insurance, but there are 4 of us, my wife and I will be one claim, one friend will be another claim and the other friend announced, when all this happened, that she had no insurance (we didn't believe it either) !! So that would all get pretty messy with excesses etc if they even want to let us claim.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andytw
If I don't get Hotel and food costs via CEDR (which I paid for in full) then my next step will be insurance, but there are 4 of us, my wife and I will be one claim, one friend will be another claim and the other friend announced, when all this happened, that she had no insurance (we didn't believe it either) !! So that would all get pretty messy with excesses etc if they even want to let us claim.
To some extent I would feel that insurance was there to avoid this hassle. Now I'm not so naïve to think that the insurance process will be easy, but since you can show a very determined attempt to get the money out of easyJet, that could assist your claim, I would hope. Now if you have legal indemnity cover of some sort you may want to mention this thread to them: if this was properly argued it may be the courts will give a ruling in your favour, and easyJet would know that the solicitor concerned may well blog about it or submit it to the legal journals. And easyJet would be foolish to risk that outcome. Having said that, I don't have much insight into easyJet so I may be talking rubbish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.