Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

How about a Wiki to post EU comp given/denied as well as results for any CEDR or other process. Especially concerning the 787 issue as there are going to be many claims given all the cancellations.

Mine was April 22 BA280 LAX-LHR cancellation 4 days before flight and rebooked on later flight and arrived 4.5 hrs later than origianlly scheduled. BA's response was to deny for "operational" requirements though the 787 "tentatively assigned" G-ZBJG was used instead for a LHR-YUL flight that same day. CEDR filed and awaiting their initial review. Sept 3rd UPDATE: CEDR decision in Article 7 comp awarded in the amount of 600 euro as even though extraordinary circumstances are present in an engine defect as this, BA didn't show that they took reasonable steps to avoid the cancellation as they have known since Oct 2017 of this issue.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Hmmm ... maybe a UK address may not be needed:
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
34) Legal process
Hopefully you don’t need to worry about this section. We feel this is beyond the scope of our advice, however in broad terms there is a small claims process in the UK, which can be done in person or online through the MoneyClaim service –see reference material below. The online version can be undertaken even if you are not a UK resident. However be aware that this is a non trivial process. It will take time and effort to pursue.

34a) Alternatives to MCOL / legal processes
BA now participates in an independently run adjudication process run by CEDR. It has advantages and disadvantages over MCOL, but one clear advantage is that it doesn't appear to be restricted to those with a UK address, and there isn't a public hearing involved. This thread has more details and examples of it being used.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...cation-ba.html ...
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Sorry for asking this here as it relates to a QF operated flight, but it would appear posters here are way more familiar with EC261 and my question pertains to EC261 in general, rather than the carriers specifically.

So I'm on the return leg of a ticket, flying LHR-SIN (QF) followed by SIN-HND (JL) 8.5 hours later. LHR-SIN is now delayed 11 hours so I will almost definitely miss SIN-HND. I planned to have a brief meeting in SIN (thus the long stop) so it's crucial that any rerouting includes SIN rather than going to HND directly on another carrier or via somewhere else (if it is even offered). Returning to HND is not important to me as it is not my actual final destination (although it would be on this ticket). I have another flight on a separate ticket onward from HND to my final destination.

My questions are:
1. If I am offered rerouting to HND on a different carrier which gets me there before the original scheduled arrival time (easy to do if SIN is bypassed especially given the long stop I have there), and I decline it, because I want the original routing via SIN, am I still entitled to EC261 compensation?
2. If I stay on the QF LHR-SIN flight delayed 11 hours, JL will need to rebook me for the original SIN-HND sector. If I can convince them to change the routing direct to my final destination and they agree (thus changing it from HND), am I still entitled to EC261 compensation?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wuileng
My questions are:
1. If I am offered rerouting to HND on a different carrier which gets me there before the original scheduled arrival time (easy to do if SIN is bypassed especially given the long stop I have there), and I decline it, because I want the original routing via SIN, am I still entitled to EC261 compensation?
2. If I stay on the QF LHR-SIN flight delayed 11 hours, JL will need to rebook me for the original SIN-HND sector. If I can convince them to change the routing direct to my final destination and they agree (thus changing it from HND), am I still entitled to EC261 compensation?
(1) definitely no - also , not entirely convinced that you can decline it if the airline wishes to impose it
(2) not sure - possibly not
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
(1) No.
(2) No
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
My EU claim was denied today by BA after waiting 6+ weeks to hear back...
BA denied the EU claim, citing, it "was due to a problem with the stand allocation" and thus BA was "not liable for a compensation payment in this case." Does this seem correct to you? While we did wait 30 minutes for a gate this is not what ultimately caused the misconnect. There were a number of factors directly within BA's control that ultimately had a much great impact in deplaning late. Is there any mechanism to appeal within BA?

Originally Posted by KARFA
not to let facts get in the way of a good story from BA, but BA actually allocate their own stands at T5 and the baggage handling (noting the baggage bin delay) is also all done by BA staff.
Originally Posted by serfty
Appears to be a standard fob off (if not an outright lie) in the hope you will go away.

It's hardly 'exceptional circumstances'; I'd be pursuing this. Do you have an available UK address?
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, this isn't extraordinary circumstances, and even if it was, clearly there was more BA could have done to have prevented your irrop. So I think you have a decent claim if you are prepared to pursue it, though it may need you to start the CEDR or MCOL process. See the steps at the start of this thread.

When you say Flight Connections, I presume this was before getting on the bus (the AA agents there)? If so, and in the unlikely event this happens again, it's best to ignore all the staff shouting and go straight to the T3 gate.
Thank you for all the advice. I will attempt to pursue this one more time with BA prior to starting the CEDR process, as I do not have a UK address. Regarding flight connections, I was not permitted to board the bus and was sent back upstairs in T5 to be rebooked. I still had 40 minutes until scheduled departure while in the bus queue, so there's a small chance I could have made it to T3 and through security with enough time to make my AA flight.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Regarding flight connections, I was not permitted to board the bus and was sent back upstairs in T5 to be rebooked. I still had 40 minutes until scheduled departure while in the bus queue, so there's a small chance I could have made it to T3 and through security with enough time to make my AA flight.

-FlyerBeek
I suspect you saw the AA agents who were asking everyone if they were travelling on AA and you showed them your bp? And they then told you that you were too late? On that point for future reference note that there is absolutely no requirement to show a bp before boarding an airside transfer bus, you can just join the queue for your bus without speaking to anyone and go to T3 as cws has noted.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Anyone know of any tricks to get files uploaded to CEDR?

They have requested copies of correspondence, but It seems to be a challenge - to put it politely!
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
I (my friend really) need some help!

A friend of mine was due to leave Lisbon with a LIS (BA)-LHR (CX)-HKG itin, purchased on Expedia.

During check in, a BA Ground Crew has attached a barcode to one of his belongings - an iMac in original box inside that was to be scanned by security. My friend arrived at the security area but the barcode did not scan through. It took some time to resolve and ultimately my friend was unable to catch the flight.

BA proposed to reissue the ticket to let him fly tomorrow, 23/06, which means a minimum delay of 24 hours. My friend did not accept and proposed to leave on 25/06 due to personal reasons. BA has accepted.

Questions:
1) Is EC261 applicable? (I assume not)
2) Does BA have any duty of care? If so, how long?
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Originally Posted by LSunbury
My niece and her friend were the travellers, and are UK residents. She is young and the MCOL option may seem a bit intimdating, CEDR probably less so. I have also never done either so we are not as confident as many on here!

We believe the original BA flight arrived more than 6 hours late.

Thanks to all for your help with this - much appreciated!
A couple of months later but the girls have had an email from BA to confirm their 600 eur each compensation. My title as favourite uncle is reinforced!

Thanks again to everyone on here for the excellent advice.
TheRiverCard likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TheRiverCard
During check in, a BA Ground Crew has attached a barcode to one of his belongings - an iMac in original box inside that was to be scanned by security. My friend arrived at the security area but the barcode did not scan through. It took some time to resolve and ultimately my friend was unable to catch the flight.

BA proposed to reissue the ticket to let him fly tomorrow, 23/06, which means a minimum delay of 24 hours. My friend did not accept and proposed to leave on 25/06 due to personal reasons. BA has accepted.

Questions:
1) Is EC261 applicable? (I assume not)
2) Does BA have any duty of care? If so, how long?
I must admit I don't understand the barcode aspect, you certainly don't need a barcode to get through security other than (e.g.) what is on the App, so I can't quite make that compute with how LIS works. Unless there has been some change here (or it relates to checked luggage). I have a feeling that EC261 will not apply here, since presumably the organisation preventing travel was LIS security rather than the airline. While I can't be definite about this, there are provisions in the Regulation that allow airlines not to pay EC261 if the delay was outside its control plus the onus on dealing with security largely falls on the passenger. Plus your friend rescheduled on top. So personally I don't think this is going to work unless BA made a clear mistake with this barcode issue. BA would still owe you a right of care, but to my eyes that would be just for the one unavoidable night in the hotel.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by KARFA
I suspect you saw the AA agents who were asking everyone if they were travelling on AA and you showed them your bp? And they then told you that you were too late? On that point for future reference note that there is absolutely no requirement to show a bp before boarding an airside transfer bus, you can just join the queue for your bus without speaking to anyone and go to T3 as cws has noted.
Yes, it was an AA agent that redirected me back to the flight connections center from the bus queue. In any case, I've responded back to BA requesting they take a look at the EC261 request again (emphasizing the number of things that were well within their control, even if they don't want to take responsibility for "stand allocation"). I'll post an update once I receive their next response.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:53 pm

Refused EC261 Claim

British Airways have refused to pay my claim for compensation when my flight BA877 from TLL to LHR on 15 June 2018 suffered a technical issue on arrival in Tallin, ahead of its 21:30 departure time. The captain himself came to the podium at the gate and told us there was a warning light for the avionics system and an engineer had been called. He eventually arrived and sometime later the captain returned to tell us that they needed to take the plane to a remote part of the airport to perform some engine tests. Eventually, at 00:22, we were told we would be going to a hotel. Our flight was rescheduled for the next day at 2pm and we finally arrived a Heathrow on the 16th at 15:11. The captain told us that although the issue had been fixed, we couldn't fly that evening as LHR was closed for the night and the crew also needed 12 hours of rest. So on paper that's a delayed arrival of well over 3 hours. No brainer you would think.

But BA refused my claim: Your claim for EU has been refused because BA0877 on 15 June was delayed because of operational circumstances outside of our control, which prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled. Under EU legislation, I’m afraid we’re not liable for a compensation payment in this situation.

I am still waiting for BA to reply to my question as to why they think that is the case, but a couple of tweets to them in the meantime has resulted in these responses:

We're sorry you're disappointed by this. I'm afraid the technical delay only contributed 171 minutes of the overall flight delay on BA0877. This does mean it's not payable under EU regulations.

To be eligible for EU compensation, the technical delay minutes would need to be 180 minutes or more. The total length of the delay wouldn't make this eligible and I'm sorry for the disappointment this has caused.

I have just gone through the actual statue and its interpretation guide and there is no mention of the amount of time a technical issue contributes to a delay. All I can find is references to how the delay is based on the actual time of arrival versus the scheduled time. I suspect they are going to state the LHR's refusal to let them land in the early hours and/or their staff running out of hours is an exceptional circumstance. If they do, I'd argue that LHR's night-time closures is a fact that they need to take into account when planning, as is their staff rest policy. Neither are therefore exceptional circumstance, nor was the technical issue that caused the original delay.

While I wait for BA's official response, can any one provide any more insights or advice?

Last edited by brittraveller68; Jun 22, 2018 at 3:26 pm
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by brittraveller68
While I wait for BA's official response, can any one provide any more insights or advice?
Give 14 days notice and get on with MCOL. If the plane was defective and due to being repaired you missed the cut off or staff ran out of hours then it's the airline's issue.
DYKWIA and brittraveller68 like this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by brittraveller68
British Airways have refused to pay my claim for compensation when my flight BA877 from TLL to LHR on 15 June 2018 suffered a technical issue on arrival in Tallin, ahead of its 21:30 departure time.
Welcome to Flyertalk brittraveller68, and welcome to the BA forum, I hope that we will see more of you here, so welcome on board.

You may want to have a look at post 1745 above, link below, and the advice that follows, it seems you are not the only one to get this reply.
brittraveller68 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 5:34 am

Thanks for the welcome. I did click on the link, posted a reply using the quote feature, but when I submitted it, I got a message to say you can only include links in a message after 5 posts. Now I'm not sure if that was for general information or telling me that my post actually hadn't been accepted. I hadn't knowingly included a link, unless a quote counts. But when I try to view that post again via the link you provided, my browser returns a page not found message.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.