Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

How about a Wiki to post EU comp given/denied as well as results for any CEDR or other process. Especially concerning the 787 issue as there are going to be many claims given all the cancellations.

Mine was April 22 BA280 LAX-LHR cancellation 4 days before flight and rebooked on later flight and arrived 4.5 hrs later than origianlly scheduled. BA's response was to deny for "operational" requirements though the 787 "tentatively assigned" G-ZBJG was used instead for a LHR-YUL flight that same day. CEDR filed and awaiting their initial review. Sept 3rd UPDATE: CEDR decision in Article 7 comp awarded in the amount of 600 euro as even though extraordinary circumstances are present in an engine defect as this, BA didn't show that they took reasonable steps to avoid the cancellation as they have known since Oct 2017 of this issue.
Print Wikipost

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:38 pm

I understand the line of thought but without detailed knowledge of the airline's operating diagrams and crew positioning I'd be surprised if you got anywhere.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by simons1
I understand the line of thought but without detailed knowledge of the airline's operating diagrams and crew positioning I'd be surprised if you got anywhere.
While I agree, and I am not optimistic, the one aspect in the passenger's favour is that if it got to MCOL it would be BA's responsibility to prove this, and not the passenger's job to disprove it.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by LondonElite
**** NEWSFLASH ****

It appears that the ECJ has just ruled that strikes need not be considered extraordinary circumstances, paving the way for EC261 claims. I believe the test case was the TUI strikes in 2016, which the ECJ deemed to be avoidable.
A little more here:

Recent developments in European Consumer Law: Joined cases Krüsemann - the Court disagrees with AG Tanchev
Temych likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:00 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by philyerboots
Additionally the problems on the Monday were a "knock on" effect from the 9/10th December weather and as such our flight was delayed due to an indirect cause and again if this is the case we should also be entitled to the compensation?
Just to clarify, there were no weather issues on Saturday 9 December. I flew in to LHR in the morning and flew out around 9pm. It was cold but not raining/snowing.

The snow came on Sunday and I think the whole program ground to a halt by mid-afternoon with BA cancelling pretty much all flights for the afternoon and evening. It is certainly not surprising crew and aircraft were out of position on Monday even if the snow itself has ceased to be an issue.

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 18, 2018 at 2:35 am Reason: Typo
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'll amend this with the English Curia link from CJEU when it is translated. and it is probably worth updating the top posts to incorporate this. There can be no appeal against this.
The English version is now published CURIA - Documents - Wildcat Strike Ruling

Minor update on my case
My Mixed Fleet strike cancellation case was transferred to my local court ignoring BA preference.
I'll update this thread when I hear from BA/courts.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks for that reference Temych, very useful.

In terms of your own case, I would send a note to the Clerk of your Court asking that the recent CJEU ruling on "Krüsemann and others versus TUIfly GmbH" is brought to the Court's (ie. judge's) attention. You could also send a note to BA Legal asking them to make you an offer.
=====
I think this ruling has two major implications, though the second could be said just to underline current understanding.

1) For strikes purely within BA or BA's direct suppliers (I'm thinking of Italian ground agents), then extraordinary circumstances cannot be applied to avoid Article 7 compensation (the 600€ bit). The wording in sections 40 to 42 inclusive is crystal clear:
As correctly noted by the European Commission in its written observations, the restructuring and reorganisation of undertakings are part of the normal management of those entities.
Thus, air carriers may, as a matter of course, when carrying out of their activity, face disagreements or conflicts with all or part of their members of staff.
Therefore, under the conditions referred to in paragraphs 38 and 39 [CWS: corporate restructuring] of this judgment, the risks arising from the social consequences that go with such measures must be regarded as inherent in the normal exercise of the activity of the air carrier concerned.
2) The bar for extraordinary circumstances is getting higher and higher for airlines. Nothing new here but every recent judgement has underlined first the consumer protection role above all else. In that respect I highlight - out of sequence - two paragraphs from CJEU ruling which can be perhaps used in other cases. Firstly paragraph 34:
In that regard, the Court has already had occasion to hold that the circumstances referred to in this recital are not necessarily and automatically grounds of exemption from the obligation to pay compensation provided for in Article 5(1)(c) of Regulation No 261/2004 (see, to that effect, judgment of 22 December 2008, Wallentin-Hermann, C‑549/07, EU:C:2008:771, paragraph 22) and that, consequently, it is necessary to assess, on a case by case basis, if it fulfils the two cumulative conditions recalled in paragraph 32 of the present judgment.
and then paragraph 32 give the those two cumulative conditions:
May be classified as ‘extraordinary circumstances’, within the meaning of Article 5(3) of Regulation No 261/2004, all events which, by their nature or origin, are not inherent in the normal exercise of the activity of the air carrier concerned and are beyond its actual control (judgment of 4 May 2017, Pešková and Peška, C‑315/15, EU:C:2017:342, paragraph 22 and the case-law cited).
Temych likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:44 am

Looks like once again the airlines have to be dragged kicking and screaming to do what is right for the consumer. Of course strikes and industrial relations are within the remit of the airline, and this really is the inevitable outcome.

As an interesting contrast I was on a rail journey recently in the UK, the train was over an hour late and at every stop the on board manager reminded people to claim compensation via online ''delay repay'. There was also a message shown on the revolving matrix display in the carriage.

Why can't the airlines do similar? The commander of the aircraft must be conversant with the reasons for delay, and with limited means of access/egress to the cabin it would not be within the wit of man for airline staff to hand a single sheet of A4 to passengers on leaving the aircraft with details of how to claim.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
So, advice sought. Will BA refuse the claim based on the 'official' arrival time ?
They will refuse the claim for many different and mostly made-up reasons.

The question is if any are valid, They key time is doors open, you need to get BA (if they don't do the right thing) to state what the fastest time an A380 at T5 can dock - this will push you well past the :29 brakes on time.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: Losing status by the day
Originally Posted by 710 77345
They will refuse the claim for many different and mostly made-up reasons.

The question is if any are valid, They key time is doors open, you need to get BA (if they don't do the right thing) to state what the fastest time an A380 at T5 can dock - this will push you well past the :29 brakes on time.
And based on my experience, don't be afraid of going down the MCOL route if you reach deadlock and it solely comes down to a disagreement between you and BA of when the doors were opened and passengers were able to depart - it will be for BA to provide evidence that this happened within four hours of scheduled arrival.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: BAEC silver
Originally Posted by simons1
Looks like once again the airlines have to be dragged kicking and screaming to do what is right for the consumer. Of course strikes and industrial relations are within the remit of the airline, and this really is the inevitable outcome.

As an interesting contrast I was on a rail journey recently in the UK, the train was over an hour late and at every stop the on board manager reminded people to claim compensation via online ''delay repay'. There was also a message shown on the revolving matrix display in the carriage.

Why can't the airlines do similar? The commander of the aircraft must be conversant with the reasons for delay, and with limited means of access/egress to the cabin it would not be within the wit of man for airline staff to hand a single sheet of A4 to passengers on leaving the aircraft with details of how to claim.
The reason the train companies promote delay repay is nearly all delays are paid for by railtrack. If BAA were responsible for EU261 compensation I’m sure the airlines would be more forthcoming as well!
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update on my claim for four of us being re-routed to London Southend which caused us to need to overnight in London, due to weather issues: BA is making us 90% whole, which is a LOT more than I expected, so I'm a happy camper. Time from query to response was just over two weeks.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Swampz64
The reason the train companies promote delay repay is nearly all delays are paid for by railtrack. If BAA were responsible for EU261 compensation I’m sure the airlines would be more forthcoming as well!
Completely off topic but it's closer to 50% these days. The Schedule 12 regime on the railways is primarily there to find the root cause and provide incentives to resolve them more than anything. There's also some EU bumph in this area: EUR-Lex - l24003 - EN - EUR-Lex
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:35 am
Original Member

Email from bott and co - looks like BA will be back in the news

Yesterday, Judges at the European Court of Justice, the highest court in the European Union, ruled in passengers' favour in a case relating to whether flight delays and cancellations caused by sudden strikes by flight staff known as 'wildcat strikes', are claimable under EU Regulation 261/2004.

Since the ruling, many media publications have picked up the story, including BBC Radio 4 who would like to talk about it on their Money Box show.

The BBC is interested in speaking with passengers who have suffered a delay or cancellation caused by an airline staff strike and subsequently affected by this ruling.

If you'd be willing to speak to the BBC over the phone, please respond to this email with your most convenient contact number and preferred time. I will then pass this onto the journalist.
Gshumway and Temych like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Tim_T
The BBC is interested in speaking with passengers who have suffered a delay or cancellation caused by an airline staff strike and subsequently affected by this ruling.

Last edited by Temych; Apr 18, 2018 at 3:36 pm
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Swampz64

Well Railtrack ceased to exist in 2001 so I doubt that.

The difference is that on the railways the cost is covered by the party causing the delay. If it is a technical problem
or strike the bill is footed by the operating company. The only difference is that in aviation there is currently no mechanism for compensating consumers where there is an infrastructure issue (e.g. hole in runway at LGW).

Of course for technical problems and the like there is no reason why BA couldn't just man up and make sure consumers were fairly compensated. That really is just an excuse. But then of course if airlines had treated people fairly before then there would have no need for legislation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.