Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

How about a Wiki to post EU comp given/denied as well as results for any CEDR or other process. Especially concerning the 787 issue as there are going to be many claims given all the cancellations.

Mine was April 22 BA280 LAX-LHR cancellation 4 days before flight and rebooked on later flight and arrived 4.5 hrs later than origianlly scheduled. BA's response was to deny for "operational" requirements though the 787 "tentatively assigned" G-ZBJG was used instead for a LHR-YUL flight that same day. CEDR filed and awaiting their initial review. Sept 3rd UPDATE: CEDR decision in Article 7 comp awarded in the amount of 600 euro as even though extraordinary circumstances are present in an engine defect as this, BA didn't show that they took reasonable steps to avoid the cancellation as they have known since Oct 2017 of this issue.
Print Wikipost

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:12 pm

Have been reading through the info and after both our flights out and back were delayed and re routed and we were bussed resulting in us getting to the destinations 6+ and 7 hours. I filled in the BA Customer Receipt Request form asking for the actual times of the take off and landing for both flights. Today I received an email and all it stated were the scheduled times which I obviously have. They also said the outbound flight was "cancelled" due to weather and the inbound flight was "cancelled" the reason being Operational. They never gave me the actual times I had asked for, is there anywhere I can find these.? Also I know weather is an exceptional circumstance but can I claim EC261 for Operational reasons.
Thank you
Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dominicjjordan
Hello! This seems like an incredibly helpful and supportive forum so I just wanted to say that I am following the outcomes of Tim_T and Temych with interest. Keep up the good work all!

Short description of my situation: my family and I were booked from MAN to SEA on flights BA1385 (MAN-LHR) and BA0053 (LHR-SEA) on Saturday 22 July 2017. According to (a link on flyertalk that I cannot yet post) it was flight BA0053 which was cancelled and according to (another such link) the Seattle leg is a mixed fleet route and hence BA are currently refusing compensation. We were rebooked on the same flights the following day and so ended up arriving in SEA with 24 hours delay

My current plan is to wait for the result of the processes from the two above users rather than tread the same course. Is that the best plan? Or am I missing something? Thanks! Dom
Welcome to FT! MF refers to the crew that was operating the flight, and has nothing to do with EC261. Do you know the reason for the delay? Compensation 'activation' requires that it not be due to 'extraordinary circumstances' (weather, strike, events reasonably beyond BA control, etc). Were you given hotel rooms and food and drink in SEA?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:28 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bubbah
Have been reading through the info and after both our flights out and back were delayed and re routed and we were bussed resulting in us getting to the destinations 6+ and 7 hours. I filled in the BA Customer Receipt Request form asking for the actual times of the take off and landing for both flights. Today I received an email and all it stated were the scheduled times which I obviously have. They also said the outbound flight was "cancelled" due to weather and the inbound flight was "cancelled" the reason being Operational. They never gave me the actual times I had asked for, is there anywhere I can find these.? Also I know weather is an exceptional circumstance but can I claim EC261 for Operational reasons.
Thank you
i can see the landing time for your flight on 16/3 as 2043, but I can’t see the actual doors open time, presumably not much later.

the plane have diverted to split on 16/3, would that be for weather reasons at DBV? I note plane did make an attempt at DBV but that didn’t work so it diverted.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:24 am

Thank you Karfa. . On the Customer Receipt Form reply from BA they stated both flights had been cancelled one for weather and the other for operational. Not sure about pursuing EC261 for the one cancelled for operational reasons.!
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bubbah
Thank you Karfa. . On the Customer Receipt Form reply from BA they stated both flights had been cancelled one for weather and the other for operational. Not sure about pursuing EC261 for the one cancelled for operational reasons.!
by all means ask them to clarify the operational reasons for the return flight, but I suspect it was weather at DBV which made them divert to Split so in the end you are probably not due compensation.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Do any members with access to websites and or information have data to share as to why BA163 on February 27 2018 was delayed and times shown. Bott Co advise they have had success with de icing issues in response whether they wish my fact pattern as a test case. Wanted to have access to additional information if possible and awaiting an official denial from BA before proceeding. BA163 was to depart 835 pm on February 27 2018, we boarded around 945 pm and departed around 140 am on March 1 2018 all the time awaiting the de icing queue.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My family and I were delayed overnight due to supposed weather issues (I guess I don't really need to argue the veracity of the weather claims - plenty of other flights were landing and departing without delay, but BA diverted our incoming plane. Safety first, so I'm letting that part go). This was in Italy, and the delay meant we couldn't land at LCY due to closing hours, so after being bused to where the diverted incoming plane landed, BA flew us to SEN.

The flights were award flights booked with AA miles. I called BA upon landing in SEN (where they have no presence) - no help (even said I was giving them the wrong passport number - really awful customer service given the situation). Called AA, spent an hour on the phone, and got it mostly straightened out (required a second 30 minute call also). So we needed to spend the night in London (could have been in Chicago, but that would have meant two flights, so we opted for London, where we could get non-stops the next day). From there, everything worked out fine.

The FA on board said we'd get covered for 50 pounds each in transportation, plus potentially meal and hotel costs. But I'm sure he's no authority.

My questions are, do we have a thread on compensation due to weather delays? Is that really something BA will reimburse for? This all cost me several hundred dollars that I'd like to claim, but I get that this wasn't exactly BA's fault like a mechanical or crew problem.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by josephstern
My questions are, do we have a thread on compensation due to weather delays? Is that really something BA will reimburse for? This all cost me several hundred dollars that I'd like to claim, but I get that this wasn't exactly BA's fault like a mechanical or crew problem.
I think this is the thread for weather delays, EC261 certainly covers it, it is just that there is no Article 7 compensation. The Right to Care reimbursement still applies for weather related delays, and that potentially covers additional transport costs, food, drink and accommodation as indicated in post 1 and following posts. There are some arbitrary limits set by BA to some aspects (e.g. the £50 limit on taxis) but these can be successfully in specific circumstances. The cabin crew member seems to have got it more or less correct here.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think this is the thread for weather delays, EC261 certainly covers it, it is just that there is no Article 7 compensation. The Right to Care reimbursement still applies for weather related delays, and that potentially covers additional transport costs, food, drink and accommodation as indicated in post 1 and following posts. There are some arbitrary limits set by BA to some aspects (e.g. the £50 limit on taxis) but these can be successfully in specific circumstances. The cabin crew member seems to have got it more or less correct here.
OK - I'll go ahead and file.

I spent plenty more than that on taxis, but there were four of us, so I'm hopeful I'll get fully reimbursed.

Any tips on submission of proof or any potential pitfalls I should be aware of?

Do you know the general limits on meals, hotels, and phone calls?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Any tips on submission of proof or any potential pitfalls I should be aware of?

Do you know the general limits on meals, hotels, and phone calls?
It is £50 per taxi, not per person, but you will be able to argue that if (e.g) you had missed the last train to London at 23:07 hrs. I have known them pay more without challenge, and if the last train had left then you would be in a strong position in terms of EC261 protections in terms of arguing for a higher amount.

For hotels, it's £200 as a guideline per room, and it's ok to have older children in separate rooms. Again a guideline, if there was no option to get a hotel at that rate then you would be in a strong position. Food - I've seen various figures over the years, but so long as there is no / not-too-much alcohol then BA tend to be OK with this. Communications: that's 2 calls in theory (or telex messages!) but I know they pay for hotel wifi so that you can connect via Skype.

In all the above, you will need to show receipts. Hence the advice upthread to photo receipts and screen save hotel searches so that you don't lose evidence. A peruse upthread and the back of last year's thread will give you a good idea how this all works since most of the delays of late have been weather related.

Hopefully it won't happen again, but as a usual rule if you get diverted to an airport without significant BA presence, just sort yourself out without making calls (etc), there is rarely anything that can be done for you. SEN does occasionally fix up a coach when there are diversions, but frankly given the protections of EC261 there is no point hanging around.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the great and complete info. Interesting on the taxi - the four of us were actually on three different PNRs, so maybe that'll help. At the same time, I don't want to be doing anything fraudulent using the same receipt for multiple claims, so I'll have to read the details.

Hotel was £179 per room, so that'll be fantastic if they cover it. I think dinner was less than £90 for all four of us (excellent take-out from Ottolenghi Spitalfields).
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the great and complete info. Interesting on the taxi - the four of us were actually on three different PNRs, so maybe that'll help. At the same time, I don't want to be doing anything fraudulent using the same receipt for multiple claims, so I'll have to read the details.

Hotel was £179 per room, so that'll be fantastic if they cover it. I think dinner was less than £90 for all four of us (excellent take-out from Ottolenghi Spitalfields).
I see no problem with the hotel or the meal (great idea incidentally! Must remember that one). The separate PNRs may well help, you can perhaps gently hint that if BA processes your claim (assuming you are one family) then it avoids 3 formal claims against it. Because of the complexities of the bookings, I would be tempted to call BA Customer Relations in the UK afternoon to see if they can shortcut some of this for you. Usual BA number, just choose the "after travel has been completed" option.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:21 am

How long for response?

Does anyone know what the response time is to a claim at the moment. Got the automatic response two weeks ago but nothing yet from BA. Tried phoning but they are cutting off calls saying they are busy but this has been going on a week too. Not very friendly just being cut off.

They say on the voice message you can check progress online but that it not evident . Is there any point in trying via executive club line. It would be nice to talk to somebody.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:13 am
Original Poster

I gather GCHs are being dealt with within a week or so, Silver maybe 2 or 3 weeks, and anyone else may be a month to 6 weeks. They are overloaded at the moment, after a month I think it is OK to call CR in the UK afternoon.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:53 am

As I said you can't actually ring customer relations at the moment as you literally get cut off after being told they are busy so it is probably academic as you have to wait until they contact you. This call 'handling' technique has been in place over a week now. Not nice feeling being cut off. A better practice maybe an automatic follow up note just saying we are working on this but there is a delay or backlog, say after a couple of weeks. That would do it.

Last edited by Jerseylily2; Apr 4, 2018 at 9:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.