Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Old May 22, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

How about a Wiki to post EU comp given/denied as well as results for any CEDR or other process. Especially concerning the 787 issue as there are going to be many claims given all the cancellations.

Mine was April 22 BA280 LAX-LHR cancellation 4 days before flight and rebooked on later flight and arrived 4.5 hrs later than origianlly scheduled. BA's response was to deny for "operational" requirements though the 787 "tentatively assigned" G-ZBJG was used instead for a LHR-YUL flight that same day. CEDR filed and awaiting their initial review. Sept 3rd UPDATE: CEDR decision in Article 7 comp awarded in the amount of 600 euro as even though extraordinary circumstances are present in an engine defect as this, BA didn't show that they took reasonable steps to avoid the cancellation as they have known since Oct 2017 of this issue.
Print Wikipost

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Just out of interest, is there any mechanism for the compensation payments to rise in line with inflation?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Gold TK*Gold
787 cancellations

Has anyone had any success trying to claim for cancelled flights relating to 787 LAX, was flying this coming Thursday and flight cancelled yesterday and rebooked 4 hours 40 mins later in F on BA269, as within 14 days thought would give a try claiming?

Thanks
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
Just out of interest, is there any mechanism for the compensation payments to rise in line with inflation?
No there is no mechanism. the amounts will remain the same unless and until the various EU institutions can agree on any changes to the regulation.
Heathrow Tower likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SAA, Hertz
CEDR time

Originally Posted by essjss
Hi all. Thanks for this fantastic resource. I'm currently "working with" BA regarding a flight from PHX-MUC on May 31, 2018.

We were initially delayed 4 hours getting off the ground in PHX on the PHX-LHR leg of the trip. This of course meant that we missed our connection in LHR. BA was able to get us on the last flight out of LHR that night so we boarded and then proceeded to sit on the runway for an hour. When we finally got airborne we were due to land in MUC at 12:45. All was well and we were descending on approach when the engines powered up and we turned away from the city and headed north. An hour later, we landed in Hannover at 1:45AM and sat on the tarmac while the crew figured out if there was anyone around to offload the plane. The tower in MUC had "assured" the pilot and BA that we would be able to land after the airport closed at 12:30 so the decision was made to take off from LHR!!! Too bad the shift changed and the replacement tower guy shut us down.

We got a hotel in Hannover (same one the crew was at) and slept for a couple hours after arriving there around 3:45am. Of course the crew timed out while in Hannover so they could not fly us until ~5pm the following day.

I finally got BA to pay for the costs of staying in Hannover but they are denying my claim under EC261.

The original delay was due to a baggage truck hitting the plane in PHX and BA is claiming that this is an extraordinary circumstance. I have brought up the following:

"The Court of Justice of the EU ruled in November 2014 in the case of Sandy Stewart and Others v Condor Flugdienst, Case C-394/14, that mobile boarding stairs colliding with an aircraft does not constitute “extraordinary circumstances” relieving the air carrier of its obligation to pay compensation for a flight delay of more than three hours."

But BA is basically ignoring me at this point.

I have also brought up the fact that they did not try to get a replacement crew to Hannover to get us back to MUC with any urgency, instead, they just let us wait around for the entire day.

Am I looking at CEDR or MCOL at this point? I've been back and forth with the online email system 4-5 times over the compensation and they have gone dark.

Thanks for any information you could share or advice to get this compensated. We are a family of 5 so it is not a small amount in total.
I finally got my deadlock response from BA today. And of course now the CEDR online application is down. I'll try it again tomorrow and will then do the print/send if necessary. I'm hopeful that BA finally admit fault on this but I guess that will be up to the judgement of the CEDR when the time comes.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
No there is no mechanism. the amounts will remain the same unless and until the various EU institutions can agree on any changes to the regulation.
Given the last lot of proposed changes in 2014 are likely still buried in bureaucracy I doubt there will be anything like that occurring in the next few years.

See here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post24477544

Originally Posted by NickB
Originally Posted by serfty
It's been over a year since 'amended' draft changes ton the regulation was passed:

There are some significant revisions to EU 261/2004 in the wind; on Feb 5th, the EU passed some amendments which clarifies some things, changes others and introduces more.

What has happened in the 13 months since? Are these to come up for ratification any time soon?
The issue was considered by the Council of Ministers at its 5-6 June 2014 meeting but there were significant disagreements between Member States so the Council was unable to adopt a position at first reading at that point. There has afaik been no significant progress since then.

It seems C/W/S was optimistic in post #202 of that thread ...but who could have expected this to apparently disappear.
Me : as I stated in post #619 of the thread you referenced, "it is also rather premature to attempt to second guess the contents of any amendment to Reg 261/2004, assuming agreement is ever reached, given the divergent views of Council and Parliament." It is not that I have any special insight but merely some familiarity with EU processes and the fact that, unlike what typically happens at national level in many Member States, there is no EU government that can ram through legislation relying on a Parliamentary majority. Instead, you must secure the agreement of a wider range of actors, which is more difficult and time-consuming.

Just a few facts for info, the process is not one of "ratification": the Parliament and the Council are equal co-legislators and each can put forward and adopt amendments. Unless they reach a common view, there will be no legislation. In addition, the Commission itself can amend or withdraw its proposal at various stages.
It is far from rare for legislation to be stuck at that point and to remain dormant for long periods when there are significant disagreements in the Council or between the Council and the Parliament. Some proposals have been in limbo for years and years (although beyond a certain point, that means that the provision is dead and, politically at least, a new proposal will be needed to revive it). The difficulty with this proposal is that different Member States pull in opposite directions and that the pathway towards a text that would be acceptable to everybody in the Council, let alone also acceptable to Parliament, is far from obvious
Incidentally, notwithstanding what CWS said in post #202 of the other thread, the EU legislative process is not especially modelled on the House of Commons or more generally the UK Parliament. Like most bicameral legislatures, there are provisions for first and second readings but that is where the similarities end.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
If you’re UK based there’s been quite a jump in the Ł value because of the exchange rate...
Heathrow Tower likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by essjss
I finally got my deadlock response from BA today. And of course now the CEDR online application is down. I'll try it again tomorrow and will then do the print/send if necessary. I'm hopeful that BA finally admit fault on this but I guess that will be up to the judgement of the CEDR when the time comes.
I don’t really understand this, the curfew at Munich is very strict, and from midnight only emergencies and navaid calibration flights are permitted. There is no flexibility. It’s well known, and we often get requests to prioritise flights out of LHR to MUC and other similar German airports so as to permit them to arrive just before curfew. I’m puzzled as to why BA apparently thought this was a goer.

https://www.munich-airport.com/night-flight-264466

Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
CEDR/MCOL advice?

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on CEDR v MCOL? The situation is as follows--June 29 flights, in J on a short haul ex-EUR connecting to long haul flight via T5. The inbound flight was delayed (allegedly ATC issues), meaning we would likely miss our connection. BA rebooked us at their own initiative (without any discussion) on a long haul that arrived 7+ hours late. When we arrived at LHR, our initial connecting flight had been delayed as well, giving us (and our bags) plenty of time to make the initial connection, but they refused to offer us that. They're claiming that due to the initial delay they had no choice, although keep misstating parts of what they're claiming in the email communications. The only other claims I've ever had have been very straightforward, but this seems worth pursuing, as it seems an operational claim rather than extraordinary circumstances (out of BA's control).

Thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, SPG, Hertz GPR 5*, AVIS Presidents Club
I've just received my email today from BA Customer Relations regarding the claim I made for my delayed flight to DXB on 21st July.

In terms of timelines:

21st July - delayed flight LHR to DXB
2nd August - submitted claim online using their form
23rd August - I received confirmation that I will be receiving the compensation of €2,400.00 stating the payment will be in my account soon
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jabrams72
When we arrived at LHR, our initial connecting flight had been delayed as well, giving us (and our bags) plenty of time to make the initial connection, but they refused to offer us that. They're claiming that due to the initial delay they had no choice, although keep misstating parts of what they're claiming in the email communications.
OK so you have two lines of approach here: IDB - for which there is CJEU precedent for when connections become possible; and delay due to poor handling / lack of agility in rebooking, rather than ATC. I am inclined to go MCOL, in that channel you can put both arguments down in your submission and argue both lines of approach, but if you do MCOL you need to spend some time doing the research and structuring your case. CEDR I think is still possible, perhaps more on the IDB side, so long as you have a robust line of argument that BA could have rescheduled you. BA tend to deflect IDB cases, they are not very comfortable with EC261 in this area. For not-really ATC delay argument, the problem will be that BA will have some evidence to support the Reaccom arrangement and I'm not sure CEDR would be persuaded. You can try CEDR and then MCOL but that's a lot of work.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:27 am
avh

Long time lurker, first time poster.

On 22/7 I was due to fly on BA8456 from AMS to LCY. Approx 6 hrs before departure BA informed me that the flight was cancelled. They offered to rebook me on BA2765 from AMS to LGW. I declined, as this would delay me by more than 3 hrs and fly me to the wrong airport. Instead I rebooked, at my own cost, on a KLM AMS-LCY flight that departed at roughly the same time as BA8456 should have done.

I have received a refund for my cancelled flight, but BA refuse to pay compensation under EC/261, and give as the reason that “the captain for your flight was ill. The cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances that couldn’t have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken”. I have since found out that flight BA8455 (LCY to AMS) was cancelled as well, and it appears that BA took the decision to cancel both flights because they were unable or unwilling to call up a replacement for the sick pilot, even though they had a reasonable amount of time to do so.

I have contacted BA Customer Services a number of times via their webform, but this route has now been exhausted. Looking at the advice at the start of this thread, the next step is to write to the company and give the airline 14 days to respond.

The questions I have are:

a) Should the letter be addressed to BA (who I booked the ticket with) or BA Cityflyer (who were due to operate the flight). I believe they have different registered business addresses.

b) Assuming that this doesn’t get me anywhere, should the next step be to go to the CEDR or the MCOL. I am aware that there have been at least two cases were the MCOL ruled in favour of the claimant in case of crew sickness, but has anyone successfully pursued a crew sickness claim with the CEDR?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
Still not completely clear on a situation involving a connection

If we were downgraded on the final leg of a flight LHR-PHL-CLT due to a delay--replacing a tire--that made us miss a connection in PHL and were put on the next flight, but downgraded to Y, do I contact BA or AA for the difference in fare on the PHL-CLT leg? (2.27 delay from originally scheduled arrival time in CLT)
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:25 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by avh
The questions I have are:

a) Should the letter be addressed to BA (who I booked the ticket with) or BA Cityflyer (who were due to operate the flight). I believe they have different registered business addresses.

b) Assuming that this doesn’t get me anywhere, should the next step be to go to the CEDR or the MCOL. I am aware that there have been at least two cases were the MCOL ruled in favour of the claimant in case of crew sickness, but has anyone successfully pursued a crew sickness claim with the CEDR?
avh, welcome to FT.

You need to write to BA Cityflyer. The same legal department at BA will deal with it, but you’re astute in identifying that the airlines are different entities with their own structure and certification.

I would personally think MCOL would be better for this - you’re looking at crew sickness at an airport that’s not a major hub for the airline (but still a significant point of operations), plus Cityflyer is not as big an operation so I can see BA arguing it would be reasonable not to have spare captains - as opposed to Cabin Crew - on standby. CEDR might just buy that - a court probably would not.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:19 am

Got a reply from BA customer relations regarding my flight BA945 (DUS-LHR) on 28th July, saying due to weather-related problem that were out of their control (I understand this part), that they were not able to offer me the compensation due for my 11 hours delay under EC261. But funny enough they said that this made the crew and aircraft going out of normal rotation, when I was just waiting for the aircraft to arrive from LHR, as it would be the same aircraft and crew that turnsround and head back to London, so there shouldn't be any cases of aircraft and crew out of rotation right?

Any expert think I can pursue this further?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by avh
Welcome to Flyertalk avh and welcome to the BA forum, it's good to see you here, and I hope that we will see more of you. I agree with NWIFlyer, that MCOL is more certain. Part of the problem that we all have in trying to maintain this thread is that we get relatively little feedback on CEDR claims, for one reason or another. Part of that is because those key FTers who would happily share this information also seem to be the same group where BA concedes the case before CEDR gets going - which suggests that both the informed claimant and defendant know the score. In other words, once a BA paralegal sees it, they know it's not going to stack up. You may fall into that category here, but MCOL would be more certain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.