Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX Ł1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - Ł1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - Ł1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under Ł3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep Ł1.48/TP Ł650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep Ł1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open Ł1.94/TP Ł700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan Ł1.58/TP Ł883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb Ł1.44/TP Ł575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb Ł1.53/TP Ł860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar Ł1.22/TP Ł687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr Ł0.87/TP Ł314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr Ł1.19/TP Ł335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr Ł1.28/TP Ł335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr Ł2.00/TP Ł320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under Ł300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under Ł500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for Ł520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
Hey folks,

Looking for a TP-optimised trip to ORD in July 2019 to visit the Oshkosh airshow.

I can leave LHR at the earliest around 1800 on 22 July 2019, as I'll be hot-fotting it from working at RIAT at RAF Fairford, and would like to be in ORD no later than evening of 23 July.

Leaving ORD some point during 28 July, returning to LHR at some point on 29 July.

At the moment it doesn't seem too much more to start the whole ticket from LHR (480tp Ł1850ish), rather than ex-EU/INV (Ł1650) when you include cost of positioning.
Happy to accept any tips or route options I'm not looking at. Haven't yet loked at using Milwaukee, which wouldbe more convenient.
I haven't done any specific searching, but I would guess you can include a few more connections in the US if you can get flight times to fit. Going out I would have thought one of JFK-BOS-ORD or JFK-PHL-ORD or JFK-DCA-ORD could work. Same suggesting coming back, so perhaps ORD-BOS-JFK-HEL-LHR?

There were some cheaper exINV J fares to ORD previously, so around Ł1200 and not just the APD difference. I am not sure whether those fares are gone for now or they may have some date/day restrictions you aren't quite meeting.
Heathrow Tower likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I'm sure 'Paul' will be pleased to see his work on FT!

M
Free advertising....anyway we digress sir
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Sorry if I shouldn't have posted that link but I found his article, and others on that site, quite educational and useful in my rookie TP quest.
teledude likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Lovecraft
Finally managed to book it using Powertools, which took me to a different site than Bookwithmatrix, it was an AA white-labeled Amadeus site.
No problem paying with my Amex and setting my postcode and UK as the country.
I was a bit anxious until after the transaction, because that website didn't say the class of travel anywhere during the process.
But in the end it was OK, ticketed with 001 and it appears in BA MMB.
Thanks for you help.
I am having the same problem in getting a similar fare and route OSL - KOA - LHR - OSL (via PHL, LAX and JFK). For December/January timings.

I get the price in Matrix fine (Ł1750ish) , I then get to the AA / Amadeus page that has the flights loaded ok (and noted the same 'no class' concern (all are in I/J)) I entered all our details (but not as far as credit card details) then I got this error message.

Something went wrong.

We are sorry for the inconvenience, we encountered an error processing your request.
  • We are not able to confirm your selected flights. Please resubmit your request. (15079 - 420)
Any thoughts on how to resolve?
Thanks
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by StanStorby
Time for me to give something back to the FT community.
I was able to book the trip below for me and me son a couple of days ago for 1.235 EUR each.
Not the best TP-ratio but also not too diffcult too achieve and - quite important these days - still a reasonble price to the east coast, I think.
INV-LHR-YUL-PHL-BNA-ORD-JFK-LCY

The price in the picture is a couple of euros higher, probably an exchange difference.
Now I will finaly be able to catch the famous babybus flight between JFK and LCY
TP wise it will give us 480 points

Stan
Can I please tap into the common knowledge of more experienced FT people?
Yesterday, BA cancelled the mid-day flight between LHR and INV next year in April.
Now my original flight plan got messed up.

Original Plan

Ticket 1, issued by BA (positioning flight AMS-LHR-INV)
LHR INV BA1468 10:15 11:55

Ticket 2, issued by AA (the real TP-run)
INV LHR BA1469 12:45 14:20
LHR YUL BA95 17:40 19:50

As you can see, INV is actually a B2B between the positioning flight and the first flight of the TP run.

New Flight Schedules

BA cancelled BA1468 and as a consequence BA1469 got cancelled too.
BA put me on BA1470 the day before the start of my run:

LHR INV BA1470 16:30 18:10

AA put me on BA1467 the day of my TP-run (now leaving a gap of 9 hours in LHR)

INV LHR BA1467 07:05 08:35
LHR YUL BA95 17:40 19:50

What are my options? What would you do?

Would BA let me change my ticket (at no cost) to e.g. MAN, BHX?
Would they rebook on FlyBe or Logainair? Other options?

What about AA: would they let me start my TP run in another city?

I'm open to your suggestions. Thanks.

Stan
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:44 am

Hit another problem booking my TP run...

I want to book DEL-KUL-SYD-PER return but flights to and from PER are QF... the rest are MH. Tried to book through MH web site... no doos... called MH... no doos as they don't have codeshare with QF. It seems the only way I can book is through a third-party like Priceline or Travel Network but on a complicated trip like my RTW (of which this is part) I really only wanted to book through airlines in case of irops.

Before I give up on booking this part altogether does anyone know of a way to book a round-trip with flights on codes MH-MH-QF-QF-MH-MH without using a TA?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
Tried again this morning (phew! At least I am persistent!).

Foiled again...

This time a different excuse... he insisted that all sectors on a single PNR must be the same fare class.

At which point I would have asked him to explain how on earth anyone ever flies WTP with a connection in Y ?
1flyer likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:56 am

I didn't ask that but I said that I know that what they were saying just wasn't true because I have booked flights in different classes myself on the phone. He just spouted the "party line" back at me. I realised that he had made up his mind and so a waste of time arguing.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:29 am

ZRH - SFO: Ł3.5k budget, maximise TPs?

Hi there,

First off, thank you for all the great information on this forum. FT gave me the bug last year and changed travel for me.

I travel for work from ZRH to SFO every few months. I have ~Ł3,500 - Ł4,000 to spend to get there and back. I usually fly via ZRH-LHR-SFO, and last year, managed to find F tickets within budget. Looking into 2019, it seems that's no longer the case. I'm therefore looking for some creative help from those far more experienced than me!

Requirements:
  • < Ł4,000
  • 4-7 days duration
  • F strongly preferred for longer legs
  • Start and end in ZRH
  • SFO preferred, but SJC could also work
  • I'm happy to spend a weekend in the UK (or somewhere else exotic) either side of the US legs and make a holiday of it
What would FT do?

Thank you!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Just chosing a random week in March shows ZRH-LHR-SFO in F for just within budget Ł3942.

Would positioning to OSL be an option ? Can be had for Ł3250 also in F. Must include a Saturday night.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:58 am

Thanks. I should also clarify that at least 3 days should be work days. I hadn't considered OSL, would be happy to spend a weekend out there with my wife.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Oneworld pleb, Accors Hotel Gold
Originally Posted by flashware
Often some keen fares ex-OSL if you can reposition? Otherwise putting together the ex-AMS BA fare or maybe looking at RJ via AMM and then the MH fare is an option I often use to get to Aus.
do you use GF or Matrix for this? I am trying to find a good deal - I can reposition to Scandinavia or BRU... thanks for the help guys. Also, these fares are booked in J or?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by StanStorby
What are my options? What would you do?

Would BA let me change my ticket (at no cost) to e.g. MAN, BHX?
Would they rebook on FlyBe or Logainair? Other options?

What about AA: would they let me start my TP run in another city?
I would call up both carriers who issued the tickets and understand how much flexibility there is

You initially planned a B2B but it looks like with the schedule change, the aircraft is overnighting in INV.
You could ask BA to change your positioning flight to BA1466, you would overnight in INV and then catch BA1467 that AA have moved you to.

If there's some slack in your TP run, perhaps see if AA will let you drop INV-LHR due to an involuntary schedule change of 5 hours 40 minutes.
Assuming they are amenable to that, you could then cancel the positioning flight by citing a significant change, or paying the cancellation charge if it's a RFS.

I had a similar issue with an ex-EU starting in Denmark. The TP run was ticketed by AA but BA cancelled the first segment. AA wouldn't let me drop the first segment because the currency is different (DKK vs GBP) but I could start in BLL if I wanted. Applying this to your situation, you could ask to drop the first segment or ask to change to a different UK airport.
StanStorby likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by BA707
I would call up both carriers who issued the tickets and understand how much flexibility there is
Thanks, I will call around and let you know what the outcome is.

Stan
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
As posted by Lovecraft in post 4462

OSL-Hawaii - Ł1,590 in Business AA/BA ILN4T2S6 Fare

Should be able to get (40+140+140+140+140+140+140+40=920 quite easily with something like OSL-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL rtn. Works for all of OGG/HNL/LIH/KOA.

PERMITTED
20 NOV 18 THROUGH 27 NOV 18 OR
21 DEC 18 THROUGH 02 JAN 19 OR
14 APR 19 THROUGH 21 APR 19
FOR EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
RESERVATIONS FOR ALL SECTORS ARE REQUIRED AT LEAST 14 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE.
TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 3 DAYS AFTER ARRIVAL AT TURNAROUND
OR
TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SUN AFTER ARRIVAL AT TURNAROUND.
STOPOVERS NOT PERMITTED ON THE FARE COMPONENT.
Code:
 2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION FREE
      2 FREE ON AA/AB/AY/BA/HG/IB ONLY IN EUROPE IN EACH
       DIRECTION.
  AND - 2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION FREE
            1 FREE BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND B6 IN BOS/JFK IN
             EACH DIRECTION
            1 FREE BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND AS IN LAX/PDX/SEA IN
             EACH DIRECTION
            1 FREE BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND WS IN CANADA IN EACH
             DIRECTION
            1 FREE BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND HA IN HAWAII IN EACH
             DIRECTION
            2 FREE ON AA/BA/IB ONLY IN THE UNITED STATES/
             CANADA IN EACH DIRECTION
          FARE BREAK SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED AND
           EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS PERMITTED ON THE FARE
           COMPONENT.
TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/BEFORE 12 NOV 18.
Code:
CANCELLATIONS
    ANY TIME
      TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
         NOTE -
          FARE COMPONENT IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
          --------------------------------------------
          WAIVED FOR DEATH OF A PASSENGER AND PASSENGERS
          TRAVELLING COMPANIONS.
          ----------------------------------------------
          WHEN COMBINING NON-REFUNDABLE FARES WITH
          REFUNDABLE FARES
          1. THE AMOUNT PAID ON EACH REFUNDABLE FARE
          COMPONENT IS REFUNDED.
          2. THE AMOUNT PAID ON EACH NON-REFUNDABLE FARE
          COMPONENT WILL NOT BE REFUNDED.
          3. WHEN COMBINING FARES CHARGE THE SUM OF THE
          CANCELLATION FEES OF ALL CANCELLED FARE
          COMPONENTS.
          REFUND OF UNUSED TAXES FEES AND CHARGES PAID TO
          THIRD PARTIES PERMITTED. ASSOCIATED CARRIER
          IMPOSED CHARGES WILL NOT BE REFUNDED.
          ---------------------------------------------
          REFUND PERMITTED WITHIN TICKET VALIDITY.
          --------------------------------------------
          ANY NON-REFUNDABLE AMOUNT FROM A PREVIOUS TICKET
          REMAINS NON-REFUNDABLE FOLLOWING A CHANGE.
          TICKET IS NOT TRANSFERABLE TO ANOTHER PERSON.
          ---------------------------------------------
          ------ CANCELLATION REPRICING CONDITIONS-----
          REPRICE USING ANY FARE TYPE EXCEPT ERU AND EOU.
          FLOWN COUPONS MUST BE REPRICED USING HISTORICAL
          FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE.
          THE FARE FOR THE JOURNEY TRAVELLED MUST BE CAPPED
          AT THE TOTAL FARE AMOUNT PLUS CARRIER IMPOSED
          CHARGE PAID ON THE TICKET BEING PRESENTED FOR
          REFUND.
          FULLY FLOWN FARE COMPONENTS MAY BE REPRICED USING
          ANY BOOKING CODE WITHIN THE SAME CABIN PROVIDED
          THE NEW FARE AMOUNT IS EQUAL OR HIGHER THAN
          ORIGINAL.
          PARTIALLY FLOWN FARE COMPONENTS MUST BE REPRICED
          USING THE SAME OR HIGHER BOOKING CODE.
  CHANGES
    ANY TIME
      CHANGES NOT PERMITTED.
         NOTE -
          A CHANGE IS A DATE/FLIGHT/ROUTING/BOOKING CODE
          CHANGE.
          WHEN COMBINING FARES THAT HAVE CHANGE FEES
          THE HIGHEST PENALTY OF ANY OF THE CHANGED
          FARE COMPONENTS APPLIES
          WITH THE FOLLOWING EXCEPTION
          WHEN COMBINING NON-CHANGEABLE FARES WITH
          CHANGEABLE FARES THE CHANGEABLE FARE
          COMPONENTS REMAIN CHANGEABLE.
          --------------------------------------------------
          TICKET IS NOT TRANSFERABLE TO ANOTHER PERSON.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.