Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by tinkicker
Been on here before with similar requests but I'm still trying to find the best shortish notice deals to the Far East as I click off the last few points to GGL.
I'm down to only 165TPs to get by Dec, so a PE return would do it and conveniently I have to be HKG (again) on morning of 27th November (I can leave again that night) but I can't find an ex-UK WTP / PE for less than £1,500 and J for under £2,500. If I'm in WTP / PE I'd rather arrive on 26th, if in J I don't mind arriving on 27th.

I have seen Dublin in PE with CX for £900 but while would work time wise as it arrives early on the 27th and leaves again that night it is pretty punishing on the body.

Any other suggestions?
Maybe you can try ex-ARN Stockholm will be cheaper with BA+CX flight to Far East.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by madfish

How are you getting LHR/AMS/LHR for £70 for 40TPs?
Just using the normal flights booking page on BA.com and spending some Avios to bring the price down. I am picking the cheapest flights of the day each way which, for the day I chose, was £49 out and £29 back... using the Avios brought it down £10. It might not be 40TP though. Sorry... I just added that at the end after doing all the sums I must of had a brain wobble... I think it is booking class O so probably 5TP each way... but for me the TP won't matter as I am doing the flight to get the 2 qualifying flights I'll need.

Sorry if I confused
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
(If I have screwed up on the maths please say and I'll correct it!!!!)
No, that looked like what I'd scribbled on the back on my envelope - my calcs came out slightly higher because your DXB return was reduced by Avios redemption.

Is this always so addictive? After reading your message (and thanks from a newbie for the detail!), now I'm thinking: 'should I wait until the start of my next membership year if I want to chase Gold?' That way I'd get a year and most of another of Gold and and a year of Silver, whereas if I did it asap, I'd end up with a year and a month or two of Gold etc.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Oneworld pleb, Accors Hotel Gold
Need some help. I am flying to Brisbane from Amsterdam next year date wide open between June and September 2019. Any suggestions to maximise the TP? Thanks!
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
EDIT - Deleted as got wrong destination
It was a really useful post anyway because I had no idea of the "double difference" promise by BA so thanks for that!
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by asian_crossfitter
Need some help. I am flying to Brisbane from Amsterdam next year date wide open between June and September 2019. Any suggestions to maximise the TP? Thanks!
AMS-BKK on BA that far advance can be had for around £1,200 GBP which would get 40+140. If you connect it to BKK- BNE on MH via KUL widely avail for about £1,300 that would be another 40+140 each way. 720 TP for £2,500? There is probably a way to put it all on one ticket but that's beyond me this morning.

You might do better if you can find a QR sale fare , slightly less TPs but less connections and all one ticket.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by tinkicker
AMS-BKK on BA that far advance can be had for around £1,200 GBP which would get 40+140. If you connect it to BKK- BNE on MH via KUL widely avail for about £1,300 that would be another 40+140 each way. 720 TP for £2,500? There is probably a way to put it all on one ticket but that's beyond me this morning.

You might do better if you can find a QR sale fare , slightly less TPs but less connections and all one ticket.
Often some keen fares ex-OSL if you can reposition? Otherwise putting together the ex-AMS BA fare or maybe looking at RJ via AMM and then the MH fare is an option I often use to get to Aus.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by peter h
No, that looked like what I'd scribbled on the back on my envelope - my calcs came out slightly higher because your DXB return was reduced by Avios redemption.

Is this always so addictive? After reading your message (and thanks from a newbie for the detail!), now I'm thinking: 'should I wait until the start of my next membership year if I want to chase Gold?' That way I'd get a year and most of another of Gold and and a year of Silver, whereas if I did it asap, I'd end up with a year and a month or two of Gold etc.
Thanks for the cross-check

It is addictive isn't it. I have been grabbed by it. If I were to be sensible then I wouldn't do it at all. I don't fly for business and on the few occasions a year when I do fly for personal reasons (holidays, visit family etc) I always fly J whenever I can anyway so I will nearly always have access to lounges, priority check-in/boarding etc without having status so the Silver/Gold card won't actually give me much benefit. Yet I still want the challenge of putting something like this together and then the massive challenge of actually flying it. My wife thinks I am potty and, although she hasn't said so, I am sure that she is a bit cross with me that I am considering spending so much on such a thing when that could pay for a cruise for us both or some similar joint holiday.

As for when to do it... yes, if you are starting out from a low TP standing in the first place and your TP year end is not far off then I would wait until the next TP year. Then the spend becomes better value as you will get Gold for 2 full years then Silver for the third year. Personally I won't get much benefit out of being Gold so I look on it as getting an extra year of Silver for free...!
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Thanks for the cross-check

It is addictive isn't it. I have been grabbed by it. If I were to be sensible then I wouldn't do it at all. I don't fly for business and on the few occasions a year when I do fly for personal reasons (holidays, visit family etc) I always fly J whenever I can anyway so I will nearly always have access to lounges, priority check-in/boarding etc without having status so the Silver/Gold card won't actually give me much benefit. Yet I still want the challenge of putting something like this together and then the massive challenge of actually flying it. My wife thinks I am potty and, although she hasn't said so, I am sure that she is a bit cross with me that I am considering spending so much on such a thing when that could pay for a cruise for us both or some similar joint holiday.

As for when to do it... yes, if you are starting out from a low TP standing in the first place and your TP year end is not far off then I would wait until the next TP year. Then the spend becomes better value as you will get Gold for 2 full years then Silver for the third year. Personally I won't get much benefit out of being Gold so I look on it as getting an extra year of Silver for free...!

do the cruise. For £1200 you should be able to get 2 nights queens grill on Cunard for short trip out of Southampton

I did just this last July sailing to Hamburg. Fabulous suite great food and s very relaxing experience. Beat the hell out of a tier point run and I got to take the wife along too, so lots of brownie points. Just not long enough and unfortunately no formal night ....but a terrific prelude to something more adventurous.
SoggyDollar likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by binman
Do the cruise. For £1200 you should be able to get 2 nights queens grill on Cunard for short trip out of Southampton

I did just this last July sailing to hamburg. Fabulous suite great food and s very relaxing experience. Beat the hell out of a tier point run and i got to take the wife along too, so lots of brownie points. Just not long enough and unfortunately no formal night ....but a terrific prelude to something more adventurous.
I realise this is slightly off-topic but we have done a few cruises now and always 2 weeks (except a one-way transatlantic back from the Caribbean) so I agree, cruises are great value. I love the formal nights so would be disappointed to cruise and not have a dress-up.

My motivations for a TP run are the challenge and the fact that flying (and all that goes with it... airports, hotels, travel in general) is one of my lifetime loves. This is an opportunity to do something I have always dreamed of doing every time I fly. I suppose it is itch I have to scratch regardless of the sense of it.

Madness!

I say this is off topic and it probably is but it is interesting how much money people are prepared to spend when doing a TP run... basically a holiday in the air and in lounges!
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:30 am

I realise this is slightly off-topic but we have done a few cruises now and always 2 weeks (except a one-way transatlantic back from the Caribbean) so I agree, cruises are great value. I love the formal nights so would be disappointed to cruise and not have a dress-up.

My motivations for a TP run are the challenge and the fact that flying (and all that goes with it... airports, hotels, travel in general) is one of my lifetime loves. This is an opportunity to do something I have always dreamed of doing every time I fly. I suppose it is itch I have to scratch regardless of the sense of it.

Madness!

I say this is off topic and it probably is but it is interesting how much money people are prepared to spend when doing a TP run... basically a holiday in the air and in lounges!
I generally build it into a holiday e.g. a maximised routing. That way the wife tends to accept it!
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
If you want to go silly on TPs then:

AMS-HEL-DEL-HEL-AMS on AY (360 TP return) ~£1500

DEL-KUL-PER-SYD-PER-KUL-DEL on MH/QF (840 TP return) ~£1100

Total = ~£2600 for 1200 TP

You would have to buy three separate tickets, the AMS-DEL, the DEL-SYD and a separate SYD-BNE (not costed here).

The AMS-HEL and KUL-PER are recliners, everything else is lie-flat.

If you want to go an even more convoluted route you can do DEL-KUL-SYD//SYD-PER-SYD-KUL-DEL. This results in lie-flats the whole way and extra avios!
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Hey folks,

Looking for a TP-optimised trip to ORD in July 2019 to visit the Oshkosh airshow.

I can leave LHR at the earliest around 1800 on 22 July 2019, as I'll be hot-fotting it from working at RIAT at RAF Fairford, and would like to be in ORD no later than evening of 23 July.

Leaving ORD some point during 28 July, returning to LHR at some point on 29 July.

At the moment it doesn't seem too much more to start the whole ticket from LHR (480tp £1850ish), rather than ex-EU/INV (£1650) when you include cost of positioning.
Happy to accept any tips or route options I'm not looking at. Haven't yet loked at using Milwaukee, which wouldbe more convenient.

Last edited by Heathrow Tower; Nov 8, 2018 at 7:20 am
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:25 am

After reading your post @mickeyjaw I read this on turningleftforless.com:

RTW fare (or almost) by Paul
(Page down a bit on that page)

That is very similar to what you are suggesting in your post.

OK, things are developing here... I now have the OK from the boss that I can spend up to £3000 to get Gold. That opens up this RTW... a lot more interesting than 3 x DXB - CGK!!!

So I am now thinking of doing exactly that:

LHR-AGP in J Avios+£25

AGP-HEL-DEL AY 280TP £795

DEL-KUL-SYD-PER / PER SYD-KUL-DEL MH/QF 840TP £1,036

DEL-KUL-NRT/HND-JFK MH 440TP £975

JFK-LHR IN W Avios+£175

Total £3,006 for 1,560TP

Note: needs change of airport at Tokyo.

I would still have 4 qualifying flights to do but they can be pinged off in the following weeks when they are the cheapest... or is it possible to do 4 qualifying flights in a single day? I'll have to look into that one

I was losing interest (more like running out of stamina!) with the last plan... this has re-energised me entirely now to not just get Gold in this trip but to do a RTW also.
Cymro and mickeyjaw like this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:37 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
After reading your post @mickeyjaw I read this on turningleftforless.com:

RTW fare (or almost) by Paul
(Page down a bit on that page)

That is very similar to what you are suggesting in your post.

OK, things are developing here... I now have the OK from the boss that I can spend up to £3000 to get Gold. That opens up this RTW... a lot more interesting than 3 x DXB - CGK!!!

So I am now thinking of doing exactly that:

LHR-AGP in J Avios+£25

AGP-HEL-DEL AY 280TP £795

DEL-KUL-SYD-PER / PER SYD-KUL-DEL MH/QF 840TP £1,036

DEL-KUL-NRT/HND-JFK MH 440TP £975

JFK-LHR IN W Avios+£175

Total £3,006 for 1,560TP

Note: needs change of airport at Tokyo.

I would still have 4 qualifying flights to do but they can be pinged off in the following weeks when they are the cheapest... or is it possible to do 4 qualifying flights in a single day? I'll have to look into that one

I was losing interest (more like running out of stamina!) with the last plan... this has re-energised me entirely now to not just get Gold in this trip but to do a RTW also.
I'm sure 'Paul' will be pleased to see his work on FT!

M

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.