Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Amazing - thanks, Madfish
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat

Anyone got any idea how to book this TP run/extended work holiday? Tried on Qantas (5K),Amex travel and book with matrix and lowest I can get is £4.6k. I realise not directly BA related but any help appreciated Thanks
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by ESFLYER95

Anyone got any idea how to book this TP run/extended work holiday? Tried on Qantas (5K),Amex travel and book with matrix and lowest I can get is £4.6k. I realise not directly BA related but any help appreciated Thanks
Try Daniel at Propeller Travel www.propellertravel.com
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Jase76
Try Daniel at Propeller Travel www.propellertravel.com
Good shout. Thanks
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by richardwft
Btw BHX-AGP 3rd Nov 18 £120 ow 80 tier points £1.50/TP.
Nice - too bad there doesn't seem to be a cheap way of getting back to the UK on the 4th!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold elite, *A Silver, Accor Silver
Looking for some help, need 290 TP within the next week, due to a change in plans. Leaving from LBA if possible. Can spend up to £1k for it, prefer not travelling to the US.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by onlynik
Looking for some help, need 290 TP within the next week, due to a change in plans. Leaving from LBA if possible. Can spend up to £1k for it, prefer not travelling to the US.
£1k to maintain Silver?!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by onlynik
Assuming silver is what you're aiming for, forget it until after the start of the next TP year when you'll have more options and gaining it will give you 2 years rather than 1.

If you're heading for gold, you need to be looking at a JER-AMS round trip with positioning, the JER-AMS can be had for around £300 even on your dates, positioning to JER will be £220ish, your complication is probably joining up with the itinerary from LBR bearing in mind the outbound and inbound legs need to be separated by a few days to get the best pricing.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:07 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by bisonrav

If you're heading for gold, you need to be looking at a JER-AMS round trip with positioning, the JER-AMS can be had for around £300 even on your dates, positioning to JER will be £220ish, your complication is probably joining up with the itinerary from LBR bearing in mind the outbound and inbound legs need to be separated by a few days to get the best pricing.
If OP is 290 short of Silver (600), how’s doing JER-AMS with positioning from LBA meant to get the OP to Gold? 🤣
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by BAEC

If OP is 290 short of Silver (600), how’s doing JER-AMS with positioning from LBA meant to get the OP to Gold? 🤣
We don't know OP is 290 short of silver. We just know they need 290.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by teledude
£1k to maintain Silver?!
To keep gold. Just not updated my signature
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Assuming silver is what you're aiming for, forget it until after the start of the next TP year when you'll have more options and gaining it will give you 2 years rather than 1.

Thanks, have accommodation in AMS, so that's possibly an option. Appreicate the help.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I had a look and there are some LBR to AMS options for around £400, but you'd need a couple of them and they're more expensive on a reverse routing. The benefit of JER and AMS is that there are plenty of flights, and you can probably do some routing via LHR to AMS and thence LGW.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Help wanted - BA CW ticket

Hello all, I'm a newbie so I hope I get this right! I need some help in getting what looks like a decent deal to me on Matrix actually converted into a ticket.

Previous posts highlighted a fare and routing that
1) seems to be a decent price in Business
2) gets a good amount of TPs (I'd get silver as a result) and
3) actually takes me to places I want to go

It is AMS LHR HKG BKK HKG AMS LGW in January. Here is the Matrix result followed by the British Airways page (which at first told me it couldn't price!). It is a BA INCEU60 fare and is I/J class

AMS LHR BA435 Jan 8
LHR HKG BA27 Jan 8 (71 hour layover til...)
HKG BKK CX701 Jan 12

BKK HKG CX 712 Jan 17
HKG LHR BA 28 Jan 17
LGW AMS BA2760 Jan 18 (which we will junk!)

£2942 for two people

BA.com gave me a lower price of €2958 / £2600 (for two) BUT the HKG BKK flight was on the same day (2 hour wait) and it routed us back direct to LHR from BKK.

I managed to 'force' that 72 hour break in Hong Kong on via Matrix (thanks to many posters for various suggestions, the one that did it for me was selecting only the CX701 flight). But BA.com can't reproduce it. [And yes, I have used PowerTool to scrape and send to the OTAs - no joy] I fiddled with the dates on BA.com to get the similar fare - i'm relaxed about the exact dates.

It seems to me (but advice welcome) that the extra cost of the HKG stopover (72 hours) rather than a transfer is the €100 fee mentioned in the fare rules but I'm really keen to have those three days. I'd also like to keep the extra TPs by routing back through HKG (seems like 'free money') though I am so far off Gold, they probably have no value.

So the simple question is how do I get BA (or anyone else) to match the actual flights?
Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
Hello all, I'm a newbie so I hope I get this right! I need some help in getting what looks like a decent deal to me on Matrix actually converted into a ticket.

Previous posts highlighted a fare and routing that
1) seems to be a decent price in Business
2) gets a good amount of TPs (I'd get silver as a result) and
3) actually takes me to places I want to go

It is AMS LHR HKG BKK HKG AMS LGW in January. Here is the Matrix result followed by the British Airways page (which at first told me it couldn't price!). It is a BA INCEU60 fare and is I/J class

AMS LHR BA435 Jan 8
LHR HKG BA27 Jan 8 (71 hour layover til...)
HKG BKK CX701 Jan 12

BKK HKG CX 712 Jan 17
HKG LHR BA 28 Jan 17
LGW AMS BA2760 Jan 18 (which we will junk!)

£2942 for two people

BA.com gave me a lower price of €2958 / £2600 (for two) BUT the HKG BKK flight was on the same day (2 hour wait) and it routed us back direct to LHR from BKK.

I managed to 'force' that 72 hour break in Hong Kong on via Matrix (thanks to many posters for various suggestions, the one that did it for me was selecting only the CX701 flight). But BA.com can't reproduce it. [And yes, I have used PowerTool to scrape and send to the OTAs - no joy] I fiddled with the dates on BA.com to get the similar fare - i'm relaxed about the exact dates.

It seems to me (but advice welcome) that the extra cost of the HKG stopover (72 hours) rather than a transfer is the €100 fee mentioned in the fare rules but I'm really keen to have those three days. I'd also like to keep the extra TPs by routing back through HKG (seems like 'free money') though I am so far off Gold, they probably have no value.

So the simple question is how do I get BA (or anyone else) to match the actual flights?
Thanks in advance.
Just call BA to book it, ba.com has it's limitations. explain you couldn't price it on-line and they should wave the phone booking fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.