Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by onobond

Without mobilizing too much conspiracy theories, it wouldn't surprise me if OW partners, like BA and AY (probably more, but unfamiliar with their respective FFP earning scheme) had lobbied for long to make this change.
No substantive evidence but I’m sure that was the case. To be fair, it had become almost ludicrously easy to get 2 or 3 years very worthwhile BA status from a single well constructed US trip.
onobond likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
No substantive evidence but I’m sure that was the case. To be fair, it had become almost ludicrously easy to get 2 or 3 years very worthwhile BA status from a single well constructed US trip.
Don’t disagree at all, I’m sure it was the case, but for balance it is worth pointing out that the quid pro quo advantage is that redemptions are also now at the reduced Business rate.
Blueboys999 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:18 am

I'm looking to book an AMS-BKK INCEU60 fare for 2 adults and 1 child. I can find a good itinerary using Matrix for ~£4000. I would like to book direct with BA to get the extra Avios with the BA Amex. The website multi-city tool refuses to price the leg with MH. When I call BA in the UK the same itinerary is being quoted at £4500.

What is the best way to get the close to the Matrix price?

Itinerary
Amsterdam (AMS) to London (LHR) — Fri, Jul 26
British Airways 443 Dep: 9:20 pm Arr: 9:35 pm Business (J)

London (LHR) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) — Sat, Jul 27
British Airways 33 Dep: 8:15 pm Arr: 4:05 pm Business (I)

Kuala Lumpur (KUL) to Bangkok (BKK) — Sat, Aug 17
Malaysia Airlines 784 Dep: 9:05 am Arr: 10:15 am Business (I)

Bangkok (BKK) to London (LHR) — Sat, Aug 17
British Airways 10 Dep: 11:30 am Arr: 6:20 pm Business (I)

London (LHR) to Amsterdam (AMS) — Sun, Aug 18
British Airways 438 Dep: 1:00 pm Arr: 3:20 pm Business (J)

Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees)
£1,429.04 x2 (2 adults)
£1,131.04 x1 (1 child)
Total cost for 3 passengers
£3,989.12
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by searlech
I'm looking to book an AMS-BKK INCEU60 fare for 2 adults and 1 child. I can find a good itinerary using Matrix for ~£4000. I would like to book direct with BA to get the extra Avios with the BA Amex. The website multi-city tool refuses to price the leg with MH. When I call BA in the UK the same itinerary is being quoted at £4500.

What is the best way to get the close to the Matrix price?
I've had that issue a few times recently, especially looking for longer layovers on US trips (below 24hrs, but only just), and BA would quote 3k+ GBP when Matrix showed 1.6k. Ended up booking with Propeller travel. I've 2 issues with that, because if I ended up with their NY office, I get charged in USD, but direct by BA (so 3x Avios, but FX fees), and if I end up with the London office, it's charged directly by them so only 1.5x Avios. But it's saved me thousands of pounds already.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by alex67500
....Ended up booking with Propeller travel. I've 2 issues with that, because if I ended up with their NY office, I get charged in USD, but direct by BA (so 3x Avios, but FX fees), and if I end up with the London office, it's charged directly by them so only 1.5x Avios.
I’ve had a CAN$ charge once, with resultant Amex FX fee. That was resolved completely to all parties’ satisfaction when I queried the quoted xGBP versus the charged yCAN$. Since then I’ve always clarified that the air fare will be charged, by BA, in GBP, and their booking fee can be charged by whomever and in whatever currency they wish.

It might be to do with the POS used to get availability in the requested bucket and if GBP currency isn’t notified to BA, the currency defaults to the corresponding POS. [Pure speculation].
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
I normally use Priceline from ITA. Worried about it at first, but never had any problems.
Cymro likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by searlech
Kuala Lumpur (KUL) to Bangkok (BKK) — Sat, Aug 17
Malaysia Airlines 784 Dep: 9:05 am Arr: 10:15 am Business (I)
Just a word of warning - MH I class doesn't earn TP or Avios. Heck, it doesn't even earn on the MH Enrich programme. The only programme you can credit to is LATAM (source: wheretocredit.com)
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: BA GFL, OW Gold, CX/MP Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by CX_newbie
Just a word of warning - MH I class doesn't earn TP or Avios. Heck, it doesn't even earn on the MH Enrich programme. The only programme you can credit to is LATAM (source: wheretocredit.com)
Way to many have been caught with this, never too much of a reminder !
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by CX_newbie
Originally Posted by IAANN
Way to many have been caught with this, never too much of a reminder !
I class on MH does earn with QF at the full business rate on intra-Asia flights.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:28 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
A good rule of thumb when planning TP runs is to check the BA calculator. It's not perfect but it is generally correct - if the specific carrier/class combination is not listed then you won't be getting any TPs for that sector !!
IAANN likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
Hi all, after a recent TP run I’m on 560 points earning those with UL and I need four eligible flights to make Silver and the remaining 40 TP points.

I have found JER —LGW — BCN return in business class during October by booking with Iberia flying on BA metal for approx £250.

I wondered if there any better deals out there in Business Class?

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Kkp0897
Hi all, after a recent TP run I’m on 560 points earning those with UL and I need four eligible flights to make Silver and the remaining 40 TP points.

I have found JER —LGW — BCN return in business class during October by booking with Iberia flying on BA metal for approx £250.

I wondered if there any better deals out there in Business Class?

Thanks in advance
If you only need 40TPs, and 4 flights on BA metal, you could even do those in ET, no need to pay for Business. Just check that you get fares that get you 10TPs, not 5, or upgrade one leg to CE on a POUG.

If your dates are flexible I'm sure you can find JER-LON-AMS for much cheaper.
Kkp0897 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA - GL, Disgruntled ex LH HON
Originally Posted by rjn21

I’ve had a CAN$ charge once, with resultant Amex FX fee. That was resolved completely to all parties’ satisfaction when I queried the quoted xGBP versus the charged yCAN$. Since then I’ve always clarified that the air fare will be charged, by BA, in GBP, and their booking fee can be charged by whomever and in whatever currency they wish.

It might be to do with the POS used to get availability in the requested bucket and if GBP currency isn’t notified to BA, the currency defaults to the corresponding POS. [Pure speculation].
There is a logic to our madness, of sorts.

When you contact us with an ITA Matrix construction, we have to try and find the availability (bearing in mind that if you send us an itinerary that starts
in X, as opposed to the UK, it bases the availability most of the times on that origin).

When the agent handling the request starts building the PNR to price quote and confirm availability, they would switch to where ever they can find the
availability. For Eastbound travel from Europe, UK POS tends to work best. For Westbound travel from anywhere Russia Westbound transatlantically,
the US office usually has better availability. (there is some nuance to that).

When the agent sends through the quote, it will be priced in the currency which had the best available for the scenario. Where there are specific
issues with the currency, we can usually find ways around it, but, that means that you will not be charged directly by the airline, and therefore not receive
x3 Avios on the transaction with an Amex BA branded card.

I will try to make sure agents send a quick FAQ on currency with quotes in the near future about this so that it doesn't seem random.

Daniel
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:43 pm

Hello very knowledgeable people,

just want to use your brains for a trip I’m planning to YUL next year - probably around May. I would like to maximise any tier point opportunities and happy to go around the US as well as far as I get to YUL at some point and I can stop there 5/6 nights. Any thoughts? I thought about LON/exEU - JFK - LAX but still have the problem to fit YUL...

thanks
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Apologies for the delay in putting these fare details up for the current exSwitzerland to US J fare. Just to emphasis again, they only work if booking for 2 people.

INN4Y8S6 fare Switzerland to US BA/AA/IB/AY in Business

Example prices per person from ZRH:
NYC - £1,035
LAS - £1,150
LAX - £1,248

PERMITTED 01 OCT 18 THROUGH 30 AUG 19 ON THE OUTBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
RESERVATIONS FOR ALL SECTORS ARE REQUIRED AT LEAST 14 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE.
TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 6 DAYS AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR
OR
TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SUN AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
STOPOVERS NOT PERMITTED ON THE FARE COMPONENT.
Usual two connections allowed per region so routing ZRH-LAS may include JFK-LAX-LAS in the US.

TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/BEFORE 14 OCT 18.
Code:
CANCELLATIONS
    ANY TIME
      TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
         NOTE -
          FARE COMPONENT IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
          --------------------------------------------
          WAIVED FOR DEATH OF A PASSENGER AND PASSENGERS
          TRAVELLING COMPANIONS.
          ----------------------------------------------
          WHEN COMBINING NON-REFUNDABLE FARES WITH
          REFUNDABLE FARES
          1. THE AMOUNT PAID ON EACH REFUNDABLE FARE
          COMPONENT IS REFUNDED.
          2. THE AMOUNT PAID ON EACH NON-REFUNDABLE FARE
          COMPONENT WILL NOT BE REFUNDED.
          3. WHEN COMBINING FARES CHARGE THE SUM OF THE
          CANCELLATION FEES OF ALL CANCELLED FARE
          COMPONENTS.
          REFUND OF UNUSED TAXES FEES AND CHARGES PAID TO
          THIRD PARTIES PERMITTED. ASSOCIATED CARRIER
          IMPOSED CHARGES WILL NOT BE REFUNDED.
          ---------------------------------------------
          REFUND PERMITTED WITHIN TICKET VALIDITY.
          --------------------------------------------
          ANY NON-REFUNDABLE AMOUNT FROM A PREVIOUS TICKET
          REMAINS NON-REFUNDABLE FOLLOWING A CHANGE.
          TICKET IS NOT TRANSFERABLE TO ANOTHER PERSON.
          ---------------------------------------------
          ------ CANCELLATION REPRICING CONDITIONS-----
          REPRICE USING ANY FARE TYPE EXCEPT ERU AND EOU.
          FLOWN COUPONS MUST BE REPRICED USING HISTORICAL
          FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE.
          THE FARE FOR THE JOURNEY TRAVELLED MUST BE CAPPED
          AT THE TOTAL FARE AMOUNT PLUS CARRIER IMPOSED
          CHARGE PAID ON THE TICKET BEING PRESENTED FOR
          REFUND.
          FULLY FLOWN FARE COMPONENTS MAY BE REPRICED USING
          ANY BOOKING CODE WITHIN THE SAME CABIN PROVIDED
          THE NEW FARE AMOUNT IS EQUAL OR HIGHER THAN
          ORIGINAL.
          PARTIALLY FLOWN FARE COMPONENTS MUST BE REPRICED
          USING THE SAME OR HIGHER BOOKING CODE.
  CHANGES
    ANY TIME
      CHANGES NOT PERMITTED.
         NOTE -
          A CHANGE IS A DATE/FLIGHT/ROUTING/BOOKING CODE
          CHANGE.
          WHEN COMBINING FARES THAT HAVE CHANGE FEES
          THE HIGHEST PENALTY OF ANY OF THE CHANGED
          FARE COMPONENTS APPLIES
          WITH THE FOLLOWING EXCEPTION
          WHEN COMBINING NON-CHANGEABLE FARES WITH
          CHANGEABLE FARES THE CHANGEABLE FARE
          COMPONENTS REMAIN CHANGEABLE.
          --------------------------------------------------
          TICKET IS NOT TRANSFERABLE TO ANOTHER PERSON.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.