Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:23 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Been looking at the HEL options in the ‘sale’ I’m seeing lots of availability LHR - HEL circa £230 in biz up to Xmas. When I put in MAN Best I’m seeing is £334 (mostly £440 upwards) which needs min 2 nights stay HEL ouch! Why are BA loading the regions in a negative way in the sale?
Anthoer example is MAD, wildly different bet LON and the regions.
Bologna for example has some good BA Holiday deals iin biz staying 2 nights in a NH hotel ex LON £225, put in MAN £ 669!

Last edited by Telecasterman; Sep 18, 2018 at 11:39 pm
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by Telecasterman
Been looking at the HEL options in the ‘sale’ I’m seeing lots of availability LHR - HEL circa £230 in biz up to Xmas. When I put in MAN Best I’m seeing is £334 (mostly £440 upwards) which needs min 2 nights stay HEL ouch! Why are BA loading the regions in a negative way in the sale?
Anthoer example is MAD, wildly different bet LON and the regions.
Bologna for example has some good BA Holiday deals iin biz staying 2 nights in a NH hotel ex LON £225, put in MAN £ 669!

i’ve managed To book HEL from LBA for £334, with just a Saturday night stay.

WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
What is the booking time frame/restrictions on the Sir Lankan flights? I haven't been that way so somewhere different to visit.....

Any does anyone have idea's of any cheap ex-SIN trips on short notice? Looks like I'm stuck here longer than I expected, maybe until next week, so looking for a little excursion to kill some time, and if I can get some cheap TP's all the better!
You can do BKK-BOM return on MH flying out on Saturday and back on Monday for £618. Goes via KUL and is 360TPs.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, Kris Flyer, Skywards, Accor Gold, Radisson Gold
MXP - SGN via LON & DOH £1.6k 640 TP

Need to do a TP run next weekend out late Thurs night back by late afternoon Monday, need 580 TP for gold.

Currebtly this seems like the best one

MXP - LHR - DOH - SGN - DOH - LGW - MXP for £1,600 and 640TP not including repositioning flights

Ideally I wanted to go West not East as you can potentially get Fri and Sat night somewhere interesting, was looking at the INV or JER to Caribbean but need a 3 stop flight to get the max TP’s which I can’t seem to find without pushing over £2k

Budget is ideally around £1.5k, if anyone has any other suggestions they would be most welcome
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAANN
I reach the payment page on AA...

Yes, unfortunately it tends to fall over just after you submit payment. Fortunately there are some very good LHR-SFO fares for next year, and in March, so went with that instead!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by barney2201
Need to do a TP run next weekend out late Thurs night back by late afternoon Monday, need 580 TP for gold.

MXP - LHR - DOH - SGN - DOH - LGW - MXP for £1,600 and 640TP not including repositioning flights

Ideally I wanted to go West not East as you can potentially get Fri and Sat night somewhere interesting, was looking at the INV or JER to Caribbean but need a 3 stop flight to get the max TP’s which I can’t seem to find without pushing over £2k

Budget is ideally around £1.5k, if anyone has any other suggestions they would be most welcome
Can you travel Weds instead?

If so, BA overnight LHR-DXB and back Monday morning is £350. Or £650 in WTP if you wanted to look at UUA.

Then do the UL DXB-CGK flights on Thursday evening and back Sunday for £637. 560TPs for the UL flights plus whatever you choose on the BA ones.
josepciv likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:02 am

I'm planning on booking flights from SFO-PHX-SAN return for £350 in first. However, I notice these are booking into I so will only get 40 TP per segment. Any tips on how to push them into the higher booking class (F, P, A)? Or will booking them in the higher booking category cause the price to increase?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by cambridge.joe
I'm planning on booking flights from SFO-PHX-SAN return for £350 in first. However, I notice these are booking into I so will only get 40 TP per segment. Any tips on how to push them into the higher booking class (F, P, A)? Or will booking them in the higher booking category cause the price to increase?
There's no way unfortunately since it's been realigned. The only way to get F TP's is to fly on 3-cabin aircraft and sit in F.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cambridge.joe
Since January 2017 first selling classes simply no longer exist on two cabin AA domestic flights. The only place you can book in to first selling classes and earn 60/210 TPs is on the three cabin AA domestic flights, so basically JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO.
josepciv and IAANN like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:55 am

Ah shame - thanks KARFA and flashware!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by barney2201

Looking at similar for the start of October, best deals seem to be ARN-KUL or SIN (around £1.5k) or same to BKK (starts at around £1.2k) the other alternative has been mentioned before is to get to DXB and goto Jakarta via CMB from there. Going East seems to be much more expensive at present.

There is also GOT-KUL (with BA via LHR) for around £1.5K as well with a direct flight to KUL, as opposed to Qatar going via DOH - but obviously less TP's with that more direct routing.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by all ahead full
Looking at similar for the start of October, best deals seem to be ARN-KUL or SIN (around £1.5k) or same to BKK (starts at around £1.2k) the other alternative has been mentioned before is to get to DXB and goto Jakarta via CMB from there. Going East seems to be much more expensive at present.

There is also GOT-KUL (with BA via LHR) for around £1.5K as well with a direct flight to KUL, as opposed to Qatar going via DOH - but obviously less TP's with that more direct routing.
Yes, less TP's....... and a much worse product
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
I have been trying to find some good combos for getting bunch of TPs over a weekend using the great HEL prices at the moment, I don't need this many, but I have found 400 TPs for £537, which gives a very nice 1.35 £/TP. BA.com isn't letting me price it up, but it is easy to find on momondo.com:

As I only need max 300 ish, I am still looking for cheaper options, but I am very tempted by this anyway. If anybody has a way to get between 200 and 300 TPs for a good £/TP then please let me know.
josepciv and dawntreader380 like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
I have been trying to find some good combos for getting bunch of TPs over a weekend using the great HEL prices at the moment, I don't need this many, but I have found 400 TPs for £537, which gives a very nice 1.35 £/TP. BA.com isn't letting me price it up, but it is easy to find on momondo.com:

As I only need max 300 ish, I am still looking for cheaper options, but I am very tempted by this anyway. If anybody has a way to get between 200 and 300 TPs for a good £/TP then please let me know.
That's actually a great deal, the 3rd trip being 11.5hrs and the overnight in HEL is what ruins it. ex-uk at £1.35 per TP is very good provided you don't have other costs like hotels etc
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by wilsnunn

can you not nest a LHR-HEL (320 TPs) and reverse over a weekend or two; will be under £500 and if Avios rich can bring it down quite a bit, I am looking at something similar

josepciv likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.