Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX Ł1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - Ł1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - Ł1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under Ł3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep Ł1.48/TP Ł650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep Ł1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open Ł1.94/TP Ł700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan Ł1.58/TP Ł883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb Ł1.44/TP Ł575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb Ł1.53/TP Ł860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar Ł1.22/TP Ł687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr Ł0.87/TP Ł314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr Ł1.19/TP Ł335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr Ł1.28/TP Ł335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr Ł2.00/TP Ł320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under Ł300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under Ł500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for Ł520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:30 pm

Hi all. Another newbie post...
Due to a new job, for the first time in many years, I find myself in danger of losing my Gold status - 525 points to find before mid-November (ex London). I've always travelled with work in the past, so haven't yet had to master the intricacies of TP runs (though embracing the challenge)...
Any suggestions gratefully received
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA, AA, Delta, Virgin, United
Help Needed - Tier Point Run!

Hi guys,

I've been reading for a couple of years (have snagged loads of deals - thanks to all those that have unwittingly helped me!) but this is my first post. I am trying to retain BA Gold from November 15th this year vs. falling to silver. I need 550 TPs. I am going to be in Copenhagen for a family event from Oct. 27-29th and was thinking of launching the cheapest possible trip to get them for a few days from there. Best I've seen is Qatar; CPH > DOH > PEN or KUL for about USD 2,300. All business, no idea (and not that fussed) if it's QSuites or not. Anyone think this is a good deal or would you look at other options that I'm missing? Many thanks!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by edgaju
Hi guys,

I've been reading for a couple of years (have snagged loads of deals - thanks to all those that have unwittingly helped me!) but this is my first post. I am trying to retain BA Gold from November 15th this year vs. falling to silver. I need 550 TPs. I am going to be in Copenhagen for a family event from Oct. 27-29th and was thinking of launching the cheapest possible trip to get them for a few days from there. Best I've seen is Qatar; CPH > DOH > PEN or KUL for about USD 2,300. All business, no idea (and not that fussed) if it's QSuites or not. Anyone think this is a good deal or would you look at other options that I'm missing? Many thanks!
You can currently get 400 TPs for Ł650 doing LHR-HEL-LHR-OTP-LHR-HEL. I wouldn't be spending $2300 unless you need to be somewhere anyway.

Also chances are your year ends on November 8th, not 15th. So with a 2 week extension you need your flights by Nov 22nd.

For Ł300ish you could fly return from CPH to DXH in Economy and then do a DXB-CMB-CGK return for Ł650ish - netting 560TPs. Considerably less spendy than $2300.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by James31
I am considering doing something similar. Is there a minimum number of nights you need to spend in LAS? I'd be looking to spend the minimum number of night in LAS, preferably one night.
It can be one night, but that has to be a Saturday or Sunday. Here is a sample Saturday night. You're in LAS for less than 12 hours.

Still, going all the way to Vegas are only spending one night there …

TravellerFrequently and IAANN like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA, AA, Delta, Virgin, United
Correct, ends on Nov. 8th. Thanks for the reply!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL , HH Gold, UA Plat
Does this need to be booked by a certain date? Also is there extra legs that could be added to increase number of tier points earned at a minimal extra cost? Thanks!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by edgaju
Hi guys,

Originally Posted by adam78
Hi all. Another newbie post...
Due to a new job, for the first time in many years, I find myself in danger of losing my Gold status - 525 points to find before mid-November (ex London). I've always travelled with work in the past, so haven't yet had to master the intricacies of TP runs (though embracing the challenge)...
Any suggestions gratefully received
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
You can currently get 400 TPs for Ł650 doing LHR-HEL-LHR-OTP-LHR-HEL. I wouldn't be spending $2300 unless you need to be somewhere anyway.

Also chances are your year ends on November 8th, not 15th. So with a 2 week extension you need your flights by Nov 22nd.

For Ł300ish you could fly return from CPH to DXH in Economy and then do a DXB-CMB-CGK return for Ł650ish - netting 560TPs. Considerably less spendy than $2300.
The last post is your best bet. Actually, if you end up back in LHR, the total is 480 TPs for just over 700 pounds. Add a return in J to anywhere for the remainder, sale is on til next week.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by zen100
It can be one night, but that has to be a Saturday or Sunday. Here is a sample Saturday night. You're in LAS for less than 12 hours.

Still, going all the way to Vegas are only spending one night there …

just curious about the LUX fare -has anyone actually booked this?

PS - if you did manage it Enjoy!
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo

Not sure if it will go as far as ticketing but you can get it to price and get all way to the payment screen on Budgetair.co.uk
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by bisonrav
The HEL shuffle fares are also available to MAN or JER as destinations for about Ł550 for 400 TP. For example between 22 and 24th March (the dates I've been using). You can also slide in OTP as the sandwiched destination for 480 TPs for about Ł680.

Obviously bear in mind the cost of two nights in HEL can be significant, but on the timings I was working to it's feasible to stay somewhere in the airport for 5 hours, shower in the lounge, and sleep on the way back.
In case anyone is interested in starting further north, here's an example for 560TP at Ł858 over a 4-day weekend in November: NCL-LHR-HEL-LHR-OTP-LHR-HEL-LHR-NCL. Unfortunately, because of the requirement for BA metal and then the connecting flight times to/from OTP, it requires a lot of time at LHR for almost no time at the destinations. Probably acceptable if you've got a CCR card, or live locally near LHR and can nip home for a few hours and return via First Wing.

I quickly tried the same originating and returning to INV to minimise APD, but the returns seem to be connecting via Finnair; originating INV and returning NCL seemed to break the multi-city tool. Haven't played with this any more.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: BA GFL, OW Gold, CX/MP Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo

720TP for 1500 EUR, not bad.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAANN
720TP for 1500 EUR, not bad.
I'm yet to find anyone who has been able to book those more convoluted LUX fares.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by squawk
In case anyone is interested in starting further north, here's an example for 560TP at Ł858 over a 4-day weekend in November: NCL-LHR-HEL-LHR-OTP-LHR-HEL-LHR-NCL. Unfortunately, because of the requirement for BA metal and then the connecting flight times to/from OTP, it requires a lot of time at LHR for almost no time at the destinations. Probably acceptable if you've got a CCR card, or live locally near LHR and can nip home for a few hours and return via First Wing.

I quickly tried the same originating and returning to INV to minimise APD, but the returns seem to be connecting via Finnair; originating INV and returning NCL seemed to break the multi-city tool. Haven't played with this any more.
Thanks for sharing this. As a reminder BA flies to HEL from T3 so no First Wing or CCR but there's the fabulous CX lounge though.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by KC818
Thanks for sharing this. As a reminder BA flies to HEL from T3 so no First Wing or CCR but there's the fabulous CX lounge though.
Good point @KC818 - I had actually been thinking of the all day wait on 10th from 09:10 to 17:45 (HEL arriving T3, OTP departing T5 I think). As you say, going the other way on the Sunday (09:35-18:15) you have access to a veritable smorgasbord of lounges at T3, especially if you're a BA Gold/OWE.

If I were doing this little trip, I'd probably go into London on 10th, rather than hang around T5 all day. But then I'd also try to space it out to have a few days in Bucharest in the middle…
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: BA GFL, OW Gold, CX/MP Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Schwann
I'm yet to find anyone who has been able to book those more convoluted LUX fares.
I reach the payment page on AA...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.